Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Maxzd

Sewer Hose Storage

Most RV units, the bumper is the typical home for the Sewer Hose. My last trailer that's where mine was in the square bumper. Don't know how many times I nearly lost those friction fit caps. Finally bought two bumper covers that screwed in and had a hinged lid that opened and closed.

Some people take a piece of PVC Pipe and attach to the bumper, or underneath the unit. Works well but personally I don't care for how it looks.. Just my opinion no offense to those that have them. Also with a toy hauler I didn't want a PVC pipe to get in the way of rear door workings...

So I bought a Sewer Hose Door at a local RV Parts place. Cost about 15 bucks. I then took a 3 foot length of 4" flexible but rigid metal ducting (I had left over from my upgrade on the RV basement to bedroom furnace project.) I angled it to the left and capped off at the end. I drilled drain holes into it so any water would drain.

I measured down on the skirting and lined it up with the water fill door. There is an airspace in my unit below the floor & frame. There is nothing in there it has the curved skirting all around to make it look good and line up with the frame on the bottom . I carefully drilled an opening and then used several screws provided with the door to secure. Topped off with Chalking around the entire door. I'm happy with this install sewer pipe fits in and comes out easily and it looks like factory install. I just need to locate a sticker for the door and it will be really slick.

Total install time, about a half hour. I think it's well worth the effort and for me it's in a spot thats convienient to get at when I have to dump the grey and black water!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Handysam

Awesome MOD, good job, and thanks for sharing. Now get that door labeled correctly before something bad happens. Happy camping, Sam
Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Wing-in-it

That's awesome!!! Great Job!

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

very nice install. i don't know if i really like putting mine in the bumper, its kind of a pain, and it just so fits.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Mij

I luv it!!
Mij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
Lack of HP

A great install job. One question if you could answer for me? Where does your excess water and odor go that is left over. Have you noticed it getting into your coach? thanks. You did a great job.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lack of HP View Post
A great install job. One question if you could answer for me? Where does your excess water and odor go that is left over. Have you noticed it getting into your coach? thanks. You did a great job.
No issues with odor, no issues with excess water.

You can buy the door and the sewer pipe complete at an RV store. The pipe is aluminum and is flexible. It has drain holes for water..

Mine is installed below the walls, below the floor in the skirting of my 5th wheel. There is a big air space between the frame the floor and the walls the length of the unit. Every unit is slightly different but this is fairly typical. I determined if there was any issues by removing a few bolts from the skirting and looking in between.. It's just a big air cavity so it's lined up with my water fill door so looks factory.

Tryed it out a few weeks ago, much more convienient than storing in the bumper, and looks nicer than other solutions that exist..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
Awesome MOD, good job, and thanks for sharing. Now get that door labeled correctly before something bad happens. Happy camping, Sam
I've searched high and low at all the local RV parts stores for decals or decal kits. Can't find a decal anywhere and the dealers all say the bring a whole decal kit in for a unit nothing in the shop. I could make my own with a label maker but I'd prefer to have it look professional. If someone knows a place online that sells them let me know.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX