Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Colts

Prospective Keystone buyer

I dont even know where to begin with this. Wife and I are looking at buying our first TT. We are looking at a used 2007 Cougar 294 RLS and I drive a 2010 4x4 Toyota Tundra which will tow up to 10,300. The seller is throwing in the trailer hitch and sway bar. The sellers are a retired couple and looking at the pics it appears it was well taken care of. I installed the electric braking system in the past in order to tow a friend of mines TT, so that part is ready to go. So obviously I have several questions of what to look for when we go to look at this trailer so with all the expertise on this forum any and all info is welcomed. Thanks in advance, Bob and Margaret.
Colts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Flyguy

I have a PDI form on my homepage that provides a thorough inspection of an RV. You can find it here: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/ look down the list to "Pre Delivery Inspection Checklist" and download it for your use. I have found that a used RV that is well cared for has fewer problems than a new one and while it doesn't come with a warranty they usually have all the bugs worked out and usually come with upgrades. Happy Hunting!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Handysam

Flyguys PDI is a great start. Think of this camper as if your buying a house, and make sure EVERYTHING works. Maybe even call a local dealer and see if they would ,(for a fee) check it out real good, like you would a car. I would also walk through the whole thing with the owners and have them show you how to operate everything. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I have a PDI form on my homepage that provides a thorough inspection of an RV. You can find it here: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/ look down the list to "Pre Delivery Inspection Checklist" and download it for your use. I have found that a used RV that is well cared for has fewer problems than a new one and while it doesn't come with a warranty they usually have all the bugs worked out and usually come with upgrades. Happy Hunting!
Thanks for your reply and the info. I see you drive a Tundra as well as I. We are also looking at other TT. What is the maxium length and weight of a trailer you would tow with your Tundra? The book shows 10,300 for me but not sure if I want to push the max and does legnth of traile really matter? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Flyguy

There's not a maximum length, only a maximum weight. I set the standard for my Tundra at about 8500 to 8700lbs tow weight. Our Tundra's empty weight is 5395lbs with a gross weight of 7000lbs. The GCVWR is 16000lbs for both the Tundra and the trailer. We usually gross out the TV at about 6000lbs so that leaves 10000lbs for the trailer. Your towing weight can be figured as being the trailer's empty weight plus about 1000lbs that you put in it. With the trailer that you mentioned (Cougar 294RLS) the empty weight is listed as 6890lbs so I would figure your towing weight at about 8000lbs and that's fine for the Tundra. Figure about 80% or so of the maximum rated tow weight as a good guide, and that takes you to about 8500lbs and your even under that! Towing with the Tundra we set the shifting at S-5 with the tow/haul switch on and as long as it dosen't start hunting we leave it there. If it does start hunting I lock it down to S-4 and that usually happens on hills. We get about 12mpg on average with our 5ver and got the same with the TTer. We travel with the holding tanks empty and I add 6 gals to the fresh tank and charge the potty so we can stop and use it on the road, Hope this helps.
Timbrens
Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Colts

Thanks again, very good info to know. We are also looking at the 30 RKSWE model which is 34 ft, 4 inches. What is your take on towing something this long? The weight is within what you recommended. Do certain campgrounds and camping facilities limit sizes or lengths of trailers they allow? Thanks. I noticed your aka is Flyguy, thats all I do here in Northern Calif is fly fish.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Flyguy

It's difficult to get anything more than 35 feet backed into a camping spot IMO. Our last trailer was 30'7" long and while I had no trouble backing with it I think 33 or 34 feet is the limit for me. The 5ver is a little different because part of it overlaps the truck bed so the overall length is less then it would be for the same size TT. I love those rear kitchen models, the Laredo 293RK is my favorite. The Flyguy thing is aircraft related. If you go to my homepage and click back on the parent directorys it will take you back to the root page and there you will see what I like to do when I'm not camping.
Timbrens
Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Thanks again, very good info to know. We are also looking at the 30 RKSWE model which is 34 ft, 4 inches. What is your take on towing something this long? The weight is within what you recommended. Do certain campgrounds and camping facilities limit sizes or lengths of trailers they allow? Thanks. I noticed your aka is Flyguy, thats all I do here in Northern Calif is fly fish.
What are you towing with?

I have the 30RKS and, so far, love it. But I bought late in the season last year.

I have not towed my trailer far but it tows real nice behind my truck. Also have had no issue parking it either at campgrounds or next to my house (which is a tight fit).

Oh, and I do flyfish.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
It's difficult to get anything more than 35 feet backed into a camping spot IMO. Our last trailer was 30'7" long and while I had no trouble backing with it I think 33 or 34 feet is the limit for me. The 5ver is a little different because part of it overlaps the truck bed so the overall length is less then it would be for the same size TT. I love those rear kitchen models, the Laredo 293RK is my favorite. The Flyguy thing is aircraft related. If you go to my homepage and click back on the parent directorys it will take you back to the root page and there you will see what I like to do when I'm not camping.
Thanks for your input, not sure if we want to challenge that long of TT but it sure is nice. Try fly fishing I am sure you would enjoy it during your travels, thanks, Bob.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
What are you towing with?

I have the 30RKS and, so far, love it. But I bought late in the season last year.

I have not towed my trailer far but it tows real nice behind my truck. Also have had no issue parking it either at campgrounds or next to my house (which is a tight fit).

Oh, and I do flyfish.
I am driving a 2010 Toyota Tundra, towing capacity of 10,300. The weight does not appear to be an issue just the length. Not sure if we would not be able to camp at certain facilities due to the length and what about driving parking, winds etc etc. Any insight on this issue would be great. Dosent get much better than fly fishing. Thanks, Bob.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
Flyguys PDI is a great start. Think of this camper as if your buying a house, and make sure EVERYTHING works. Maybe even call a local dealer and see if they would ,(for a fee) check it out real good, like you would a car. I would also walk through the whole thing with the owners and have them show you how to operate everything. Happy Camping, Sam
Thanks for your input, local dealer might be an issue since the closes one is 2hrs away, definetly will do the walk thru. Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
Outbackmel

31 ft TT

You need to ensure you have plenty of swing space with a longer TT. Ours was 31 and the KOA's were a living H _ _ _ for me to park that thing....Our 36ft 5er goes in like a hand in a glove....best advice: set up a practice area and park that thing until you can do it with minimal assistance and ensure you have GREAT mirrors and communication. Remember; with anything; practice makes perfect. BTW: we DID NOT trade up because of parking We wanted triple slides and 2 full size BR's front and rear. Enjoy !
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
Colts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
You need to ensure you have plenty of swing space with a longer TT. Ours was 31 and the KOA's were a living H _ _ _ for me to park that thing....Our 36ft 5er goes in like a hand in a glove....best advice: set up a practice area and park that thing until you can do it with minimal assistance and ensure you have GREAT mirrors and communication. Remember; with anything; practice makes perfect. BTW: we DID NOT trade up because of parking We wanted triple slides and 2 full size BR's front and rear. Enjoy !
Good advice, thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

You asked about towing a "long" travel trailer. We had a 34' Alumalite years ago. Really enjoyed the room inside (this was right at the start of when manufacturers started putting slides in TT's). Many times going down the road, I'd comment to my wife that the trailer towed like our old Jayco 20'. Then we'd get to a campground and "all hell" would break loose. A tight turn into a small campsite in Florida with "mushy" sand on both sides of a 7' wide pad... A wide open blacktop site on a narrow access road in Circus Circus campground in LasVegas..... A 30' limit in a national park in Montana... A quick turn with a 14' culvert while backing into our driveway at home......

For a "first time" RV'er, I suggest not tackling (literally) a TT over 30'. If, or when you do feel up to that challenge, I'd definitely suggest not trying it with a Tundra. Not that the truck isn't capable, but because the trailer is just too big to be guided by a truck of that weight (another way to put it... the truck is too small to be pushed by a trailer of that size). We had a F250supercab diesel with a 8' bed and felt "intimidated" at times when on a 6 lane stretch of interstate with 18-wheelers on all sides pushing and pulling us near both sides of the lane when they "raced past" us while we were trying to stay out of the way going 60MPH.

Not trying to scare you by any means, but hoping you don't bite off more than you "could/should" chew with a TT on today's busy highways.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote