Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
Eric MP

Exclamation Water Heater Not filling

We had our virgin voyage over the weekend in our Sprinter Campfire 27RL. Stayed close by. Can someone please list the reasons why our water heater is not filling? Our models owners manual (om), at the very least implies that the water heater would fill up unless we had the optional by-pass valve.

I got under the sink and looked for the "optional" by-pass valve which the OM said was "located on the backside of the water heater". Never found it "located on the backside of the water heater" Now I have seen a water heater repair guide from Suburban that indicates that the valve is in the water line, which could be here, there, or behind the drawers which are adjacent to the cabinet that accesses the "back of the water heater".

The om also said that using city water, "by passes the water tank and feeds the entire water system directly".

A YouTube video listed the water heater as a unit that would be filled up with the city water process of hooking up and turning it on.

Enjoyed the weekend overall..but am really ticked that a newbie may have to pay if mistakes are made while trying to fire up the water heater when referring to misleading and Really Vague (RV) OMs.....yes I did use Suburbans manual as well........ Which got us through the light off process but did not mention the by-pass valve whcih could not be found.
Eric MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
Steveo57

Does the back of your water heater look like this with a bypass line?Click image for larger version

Name:	bypasskit2.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	16245
Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

A WH bypass is not an option. It is there. Did you have a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) with your dealer when you picked up your trailer? They should have prevented your stress by going over this with you.

There will be a valve, probably only one, at the back of the WH. Yes you may have to take out a drawer or remove a panel to access it. If you do a search on the forum, you will find lots of threads about all of this. I hope you find it and this helps. The picture posted above is what you would see if no walls, etc.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The photo posted by stevo57 is a depiction of what it looks like "on a test bench". What you'll likely find "in your trailer" is something more like this photo. Both are the same configuration, just the "other stuff around it" makes it very difficult to spot the valve "at first glance"

But it's there, just keep looking !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH BYPASS.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	16246  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Bisjoe

Though it's not the same model, it may be similar. Ours is located behind a wood panel with 4 screws under the stereo system. Look for any removable panel opposite the outside water heater access.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
xrated

I have the pleasure of raising the bed (hinged of course), crawling inside the under the bed storage area, and contorting my 63 year old body into the shape that roughly resembles a folded store mannequin....then operating the bypass valve after I remove the cover that is held in place with 4 wood screws. Yep, that's exactly where I would have put the bypass valve if I was designing the trailer......Bastages #$!@!%
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Pull Toy

Red face

Hey xrated....

Thanks for the memories! I'm spoiled now with the convenience water cabinet... but you brought back memories of this now 69 y.o. 6'4" body hanging upside down under the dashboard of my (new to me, at the time) 61 Chevy Impala Convertible, installing an aftermarket 8 track..... and 2 channel reverb! OUCH!

It hurt then.. it hurts remembering it now! LOL

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
A WH bypass is not an option. It is there. Did you have a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) with your dealer when you picked up your trailer? They should have prevented your stress by going over this with you.

There will be a valve, probably only one, at the back of the WH. Yes you may have to take out a drawer or remove a panel to access it. If you do a search on the forum, you will find lots of threads about all of this. I hope you find it and this helps. The picture posted above is what you would see if no walls, etc.
I think the new Webster's definition for PDI should be "People Don't Inquire" when picking up their new units.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think the new Webster's definition for PDI should be "People Don't Inquire" when picking up their new units.
Fairly certain even you were a newbie at some point along with the rest of us! It's a difficult to "inquire" about something if you don't have any idea about it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
LuvsPalmTrees

Our by-pass is under the sink off to the right. It is not the easiest thing to get to but it is better than under the bed. At least that is the only thing that happened on your maiden trip. I have heard horror stories. Your next trip will be better and you will eventually laugh about this (just not now because you are still pissed). Enjoy and have fun.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
Eric MP

Water Heater By Pass

Thanks to all that have supplied help regarding our water heater by pass hunt/stress.

The pic from Steve is good..........but, as the Suburban maintenance and repair link was correct in pointing out it could be behind the drawer. I found the by pass valve yesterday when I went on board and did another search. Course we are back and the slide is in so the drawer cannot be removed. I left the sink floor cabinet panel loose for further hunting. The valve is behind the drawer on our model. Not "on the back of the water heater" like the OM states.

It is and has been part of the idiocy from Saturday, last........ thinking switch rather than valve while being read to by my wife and daughter............Elvis was right.....it just don't get no better.

Whichever one it stands for.....that is PDI......I can only say that IF we were told of the by pass valve at all, it was during the first 5 minutes of the PDI and outside the unit at the exterior portion of the water heater. It was not mentioned, or, re-mentioned when we were inside where we would actually have access to the valve.
Eric MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Curious @ 2 Steve...I will enjoying my 22rbs very soon. That pic of the water tank is interesting. I thought there would be a shut off on the lines in and out of the tank...maybe I can't see them? Also how's the access to the tank? Looks like it's under the closet by the door and tricky to get at?
Thanks
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

The bypass valve is the only valve you see in that pic from Steve...it stops water from entering the hot water tank when you winterize...possible that valve is still closed not allowing water in the tank? I feel like most of us know about that one
Old 05-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

From what I understand about a PDI, is when your dealer performs a multi hour inspection of your new RV...finding and fixing any faults. This should be done prior to you picking up your new RV. Ours and I think most dealers include a walk thru demo on everything about your RV again before you pick it up. You don't want to miss that for sure! Take notes and asked questions if your not certain about things. I've been waiting since last Oct for this very thing to happen in the next few weeks
Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
Curious @ 2 Steve...I will enjoying my 22rbs very soon. That pic of the water tank is interesting. I thought there would be a shut off on the lines in and out of the tank...maybe I can't see them? Also how's the access to the tank? Looks like it's under the closet by the door and tricky to get at?
Thanks
In my 22RBS the bypass is accessed by unscrewing two screws and removing a panel just inside the door to the left under the closet. The actual bypass valve is around behind the water heater and you can't really see it, I guess you're supposed to be some kind of a contortionist to get to it.

I put an access door in the bathroom to make it easier to get to the back of the water heater.

Pics show the original access and what it looked like. The second one shows the access I installed. The bypass valve is a black handle on the cold water line right at the water heater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180224_124451.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	16267Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180306_133606.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	16268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180306_133526.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	16269
Old 05-02-2018, 01:26 AM   #16
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Thanks for that Steve. Man it looks like a jungle in there, good idea with the access panel. I'm surprised to see all the electrical in the same compartment. That must be the converter...I'd hate to spring a leak in there!
Old 05-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #17
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
A WH bypass is not an option. It is there. ...
A bypass is on ALL brands (Atwood and Suburban)? I guess I'll have to go digging for mine (an Atwood 6 gallon model); I always assumed from conversations on this forum that they were only on the bigger units that had the convenience center.

You learn some thing new every day here! Thanks.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

The bypass valve for the hot water tank should be behind the HW tank and has it's own shut off. There has to be another shut off valve on the cold water (blue) going in the tank and on the hot water (red) coming out of the tank. The bypass valve/pipe is located just before those valves and should be in the closed position during normal use. When you winterize that bypass valve gets opened and the other two valves get closed to prevent antifreeze from entering the HW tank. I found goggle/you-tube videos very helpful and informative for anything RV related. I havn't done any of this RV stuff yet but I've got a pretty good idea thanks to you-tube and this forum
Old 05-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
The bypass valve for the hot water tank should be behind the HW tank and has it's own shut off. There has to be another shut off valve on the cold water (blue) going in the tank and on the hot water (red) coming out of the tank. The bypass valve/pipe is located just before those valves and should be in the closed position during normal use. When you winterize that bypass valve gets opened and the other two valves get closed to prevent antifreeze from entering the HW tank. I found goggle/you-tube videos very helpful and informative for anything RV related. I havn't done any of this RV stuff yet but I've got a pretty good idea thanks to you-tube and this forum
Many new campers have gone to a single valve bypass setup as pictured by Steve. Some do have the 3 valves you mention, but cutting out 2 is a way for the manufacturers to save an additional $2.50. Just an FYI.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I don't see how that works? All the videos I've seen have the 3 valves. How is the antifreeze stopped from entering the HW tank? I must be missing something?

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater