Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
lzongker

Awning on Bullet Premier 2014 will not retract

My awning will not extend. Looking in the fuse panel which is not labeled for each fuse I see a red light blink when I push the switch to extend the awning. The fuse next to it and above it are good. Does anyone know where I can find a manual just for the Bullet 22rpbr?
lzongker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

There are not manuals for specific models, like a car or a truck. When you purchase a trailer new you get a collection of manuals for the components: one for the furnace, one for the refrigerator, the range, water pump, water heater, awning, etc. What you need to do is determine the make and model of the awning and search for an electronic version of the manual online. Start by looking at the tops of the arms where the roller attaches. The plastic housing usually has some kind of identification for the manufacturer. If you can't figure it out post a pic and maybe someone hear can help.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 AM   #3
Northofu1

Awning on Bullet Premier 2014 will not extend

Does one fuse blink red when trying to open the awning?

It sounds crazy, but try to "retract" the awning. If that extends the awning, then it got retracted in the wrong direction.

Just checking

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:30 AM   #4
Bostongone

Does the red led actually blink when you press the button or is it actually on for as long as you press the button? The leds purpose is to indicate a open fuse but it will not light until it has a ground connection which is thru the switch and the motor in this circuit. I would replace this fuse and see if the blinking red led problem goes away (and the awning works).
Old 07-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
lzongker

red led light stays on

The red LED light stays on as long as the switch is held down. It is next to something labeled, 1610-92 which I looked up and is an ETA circuit protection and control circuit breaker. I checked with Keystone customer support and she didn't know what I was talking about. She directed me to a fuse box located near the batteries which I could not find, don't think there really is one. It maybe located somewhere else but not near the batteries. I did find an inline 30amp fuse in a white cable. Does anyone know what fuse box she was talking about.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #6
Bostongone

In your first post you mentioned that the led is next to a fuse which you said was good and now you say it is next to a circuit breaker device. I am not sure how that circuit breaker is supposed to work or if it can be reset somehow. It should be resettable. If not and it is removable which it should be remove it and find a replacement. Pretty sure the problem is no power to the awning and it starts in the power center.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:02 AM   #7
lzongker

When I first checked the red led it just flashed and I only could see the approximate location. After my wife held the switch on, the red led light stayed on and I was able to pinpoint the exact location. I am going to try and find a new 1610-92 circuit breaker and replace the one that could be bad. I am not sure how this device works because it looks more like a fuse and plugs in just like a fuse.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The 1610-92 circuit breaker is actually a thermal fuse. It comes in multiple amperage ratings, so when you replace it, be sure that it's the correct amperage size. I'm guessing that it's a 15 amp circuit as most of Keystone's DC distribution is protected by 15 amp fuses.

This part is "pure speculation" so take it for what it costs you: I seldom see a resettable thermal fuse which is "more expensive than a conventional fuse" installed in the DC fuse panel (by the factory). Your finding one installed where most (maybe all) other trailers have a standard fuse, would tell me that the previous owner may have had issues with the fuse blowing for some other reason than a "weak fuse". For that reason (repeated fuse blowing) he "may" have installed a "resettable thermal fuse" to avoid having to buy so many replacements. With that, he "may" have installed a larger amperage one, to "force the awning to work" in spite of a problem..... That fuse, if it's typical, should have a 15 amp device installed.

Some of the issues that you might have if it continues to blow, are corrosion in the motor, corrosion or a loose/bad connection at a wiring junction, a loose/bad ground, a shorted wire at one of the bending/flexing joints in the awning arm (where it articulates to open/close) or even a bad switch that shorts out when you press the switch plate.

I'd suggest you do some "sleuthing" to find out if there's more to fixing the issue than just buying a replacement 1610-92 circuit breaker.

Good Luck and let us know what you find and to ask any further questions !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #9
lzongker

Thanks for the info. I will check with the previous owner and ask him if he had any problems with the awning and also if he installed the thermal fuse which is rated at 6 amps. I am tempted to replace it with a 15 amp because all the other fuses are 15 amp.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

It's your trailer (not mine) so any final decision would have to be yours, but here's my take:

I'd check the wire attached to the fuse block at that location. IF it's the same size gauge wire as the wires attached to the 15 amp fuse connections, I'd suspect that the trailer wiring is safe to install a larger fuse. I'd pull a 15 amp fuse from one of the other circuits, put it in that slot and push the awning button to see what happens. It'll either work, blow that 15 amp fuse or start smoking (very unlikely). As I said, I don't have to pay the repair bill if it goes south, but if the wire on the fuse terminal is the same, I'd install a 15 amp fuse in what is "probably a 15 amp circuit".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
steve james

I know this sounds crazy but if you hold the out button for to long the awning will retract and roll its self back in, if you have done that just reverse it and it should extend back out. the other issue could be like what happened to me, the motor in the head of the awning ran but the connection from the motor to the awning stripped. you can hear the motor running but the awning wont move.
steve james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Going along with what Steve just posted, look at your "rolled up awning"....

If the awning fabric rolls from the trailer OVER the awning roller tube, it's correct.

If the awning fabric rolls from the trailer UNDER the awning roller tube, someone extended it too far and it continued past the stop and is "rolled up backwards. That will account for the slow to almost non-existant ability to extend or retract the awning. Coupled with a 6 amp fuse, it's not going to work.

Please check your awning fabric and let us know which way it rolls onto the tube from the trailer sidewall.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
markdol1

You can bypass the switch and unplug the awning connector at the end of the roller tube and apply a + and - 12 volt supply to the red + and black - wire and the roller should move either way if it doesnt move but you hear noise its the motor mechanism. if you hear nothing work your way back to the switch then to the fuse and breaker box. Also keystone does print model specific manuals ,I will look at mine tomorrow to see if i can help.
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:10 AM   #14
lzongker

I checked, the awning is rolled up backward. How do I correct this?
Old 08-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #15
lzongker

Thanks for all your help. I now know what the problem is (the awning was over extended and rolled up backward) and how it was caused, now I need to know how to fix it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:44 AM   #16
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzongker View Post
Thanks for all your help. I now know what the problem is (the awning was over extended and rolled up backward) and how it was caused, now I need to know how to fix it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Try the retract button

Old 08-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #17
lzongker

I have and that is when the red LED light comes on.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:51 AM   #18
Bostongone

Good news on the awning being rolled up backwards (sort of). Explains that someone accidentally rolled it up backwards and then by trying to extend it caused the circuit breaker to pop due to the backwards roll up. Need to replace circuit breaker with new or a 15 amp fuse and then press “retract”. This should unwind the fabric and I believe that if you just continue to press retract the awning should fully extend and then start to properly rewind (in the correct roll up direction).
Old 08-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Bostongone's response, replace the fuse with a 15 amp and then, with the awning rolled up next to the trailer, press the retract button and the awning should "unroll to the extended position". Continue to hold the switch and the awning will continue "unrolling" until it reaches the limit and "rolls up properly". That "USUALLY" is all it takes. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to fully extend the awning until it's at "maximum deployment" then remove power, uncouple the motor and manually roll the awning tube to the correct position (fabric over the roller tube and partially rolled up) then replace the motor and connections.

Hopefully you can "re-roll it" without manually removing the motor. Keep us posted.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-01-2019, 07:16 AM   #20
Northofu1

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=23695
I hope this helps shed some light?

Tags
awning, bullet, bullet premier