Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #21
Xsv

I added a SeeLevel II to my impact 311 over the winter. The black water last year ranged from 3/4 to full regardless of level.

During the installation I found that one of the wires had came off of the stock black water sensor studs. The nut(s) that held it on was gone. Anyway, might be something worth checking.

For what it is worth the SeeLevel installation was not too bad once you get the wire from your monitor location to the underside of the RV.
Xsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #22
geeman

Look up Geo Method for black tanks. Works well to keep clean. Not fool proof but works well.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #23
BRB Rig

If we're worried about the black tank level, we'll unplug the community water if shored up, turn off the water pump if boondocking, plug our noses, step on the flush pedal, and check out the level with a bright LED flashlight.
BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 AM   #24
BadmanRick

I have a 2011 Bullet Premier 19fbpr. I had the same problem. Black tank and gray tanks not reading correctly. I spent money at the dealer having them change the sensors. Within 6 months they were bad again. The problem with the original CHEAP sensors is that they are round flat surfaces and debris from the tanks coat the sensors and short them out. Therefore the full reading all the time.
I purchased the following and replaced the original sensors : For the black tank, Valterra T21301VP Horst Miracle Probe - Black Water Tanks, Pack of 4
For the gray water and fresh water tanks, Valterra T21302VP Horst Miracle Probe - Gray Water Tanks, Pack of 4
I have not had any problem since I changed to these sensors. These are available on line and at your better rv dealers.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 AM   #25
jhop_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
You could also try the ice in the black tank trick.
Throw a couple f bags of crushed ice down the toilet and a bucket or two of water. Then take the trailer out for a reasonable length drive of say two hours or so. Then dump and flush the black tank and see how that goes.
I add the ice, water, and a couple cups of cascade detergent before every trip. My read out has been correct since doing so and it keeps any smells from popping up after storage.
jhop_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
Irishman2014

Thanks to all for continuing to offer up solutions (including some of the more comical ones that might require nose plugs ). Certainly I'll try some of the suggested chemical cleaning and agitation methods first. But the potentially permanent solutions sound intriguing also. After researching SeeLevel II I suspect that it may be a little more difficult to install as I cannot incorporate my existing monitor. Plus this system is designed for only 1 fresh, black & gray tank, but I have 2 grays. The Horst system seems somewhat simpler to install, but one YouTube review I watched showed it gave a false reading the very next day (hmmm?). Also, my Cougar has that corrugated plastic sheet covering the whole under carriage so I'm guessing I would need to remove lots of that to expose all three tanks and I have some concern about the damage I might do to it. I can probably figure out how to limit the damage, but to this point I haven't investigated it. Nonetheless, thanks to all once again.
Irishman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #27
TJTx

The bad news: This problem is almost universal and appears to happen across the board. It also launched a cottage industry of products, techniques, and home remedies.
The good news: This problem is almost universal and appears to happen across the board. The issue, however, comes and goes and the above mentioned remedies can help. The more you use your trailer and knowing your bathroom habits, you will start knowing intuitively your black tank level. Our Alpine will start giving a little “bloop” when it is close to full when you flush. The first “bloop” we hear (sometimes the second depending what was for dinner the previous night) we empty the tank.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #28
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
you'll find that members wish Keystone would have "spent just a little more" for things like tires, stereo, steps, decals, carpet, TV size/brand, appliances, awnings, windows... As you can see, if Keystone "catered to all our wishes"... They'd all be "in the Allegro Bus range" (450K+)
Keystone already does some level of build-to-order, in that you can ask for particular decor color and quality options and seating options, and the like. They could do more.

When I bought my previous rig (not a Keystone), some of the options I was offered (and had to choose before ordering) included water heater size and type, A/C size, heat pump or not, roof material, undersink filter, power awning, window shade style, different levels of sound system, powered skylight fans, and different featured thermostats.

I, personally, was bummed not to be offered the option of a heat pump A/C and powered skylight fans, because we would have sprung for it given our satisfaction with that option previously. (Lack of the fan complicates leaving your pets in the TT while you briefly visit a restaurant on the road, as you can't positively ventilate the TT in warm weather -- the wimpy bath fan doesn't do the job.)

I've never seen a rig that offered higher-quality tank probes as an option, but given how useless the vanilla probes always are, I would have sprung for those if they were offered.

I don't demand that everybody else be stuck with the cost of such upgrade choices, but it would have been so nice to be offered the option, especially for a drop-in replacement part like the A/C.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #29
Roscommon48

bottom line is THEY DO NOT work. get use to it!

Just figure out how long you can use the black tank before dumping.

For us, 2 people, we can go without dumping our black water for about about 2 weeks.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #30
DAMILLER_SR

Seems like the OP is done so I will simi hijack this post, My black tank always registers 3/4 full. has anyone ever tried putting a GOPRO type camera down the toilet to see what is going on? I would do it, but I am out of town for the next 5 weeks and I want to ask while the post is fresh.
TIA
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by damillessr View Post
Seems like the OP is done so I will simi hijack this post, My black tank always registers 3/4 full. has anyone ever tried putting a GOPRO type camera down the toilet to see what is going on? I would do it, but I am out of town for the next 5 weeks and I want to ask while the post is fresh.
TIA
Can't wait to see your video footage when you return in 5 weeks!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #32
LHaven

No, but I used my "industrial proctoscope" to do it once. It wasn't very enlightening, and (unlike a Gopro, I believe) it did provide active illumination.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #33
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman2014 View Post
Thanks to all for continuing to offer up solutions (including some of the more comical ones that might require nose plugs ). Certainly I'll try some of the suggested chemical cleaning and agitation methods first. But the potentially permanent solutions sound intriguing also. After researching SeeLevel II I suspect that it may be a little more difficult to install as I cannot incorporate my existing monitor. Plus this system is designed for only 1 fresh, black & gray tank, but I have 2 grays. The Horst system seems somewhat simpler to install, but one YouTube review I watched showed it gave a false reading the very next day (hmmm?). Also, my Cougar has that corrugated plastic sheet covering the whole under carriage so I'm guessing I would need to remove lots of that to expose all three tanks and I have some concern about the damage I might do to it. I can probably figure out how to limit the damage, but to this point I haven't investigated it. Nonetheless, thanks to all once again.
SeeLevel has several models. Mine is for two greys. I completely replaced my underbelly but you can also cut into and tape back up the existing belly. Just remember to only cut 3 sides of a square with the hinge side facing forward. Use the proper sealing tape also. Check out this YT video for a look at the installation process. The one he is installing is for two greys plus a black, fresh and battery. He also got the water pump and heater options, I didn't because I have inCommand. The second YT link shows the controls.
Because I have inCommand the wiring is a little different but I was able to figure it out.

sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:43 AM   #34
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
You could also try the ice in the black tank trick.
Throw a couple f bags of crushed ice down the toilet and a bucket or two of water. Then take the trailer out for a reasonable length drive of say two hours or so. Then dump and flush the black tank and see how that goes.
In my experience it is a waste of ice
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #35
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by damillessr View Post
TIA
I feel like unless you know what your looking for and where, it may not be of much use. For the cost of what some of the gopros cost, I can see myself putting it in there lol, but to each there own.

You are asking while the post is "fresh", but I can only imagine what might not be as fresh in the next few weeks. Sorry..I couldn't resist. I blame busterbrown.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #36
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
I feel like unless you know what your looking for and where, it may not be of much use. For the cost of what some of the gopros cost, I can see myself putting it in there lol, but to each there own.

You are asking while the post is "fresh", but I can only imagine what might not be as fresh in the next few weeks. Sorry..I couldn't resist. I blame busterbrown.
I've got an inspection camera that I would use long before I'd use a GoPro.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

I consider the toilet "trap door" a "one way item"... what goes down, stays down.... So, my go-pro or even HF inspection camera won't be going down because I don't want it coming back up through that hole......

I'll leave the interior of my black tank a "deep, dark mystery area" that I will just accept as a place not to venture !!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

There are SO many ways to take this conversation sideways....to a deep, dark place but I'll just continue to enjoy the conversation.

I find it of interest (I know, another tale) because when I was small we lived in a rural work camp. The little houses each had a cylindrical, below ground, concrete "cesspool". Maybe 2' in diameter at most. Those things filled up and had to be emptied. How you may ask? With a coffee can on the end of a long piece of heavy wire then dumped into a bucket. At the earliest age my dad conscripted me to do the "emptying" - barely able to pull the coffee can out of the "hole". When the level dropped to where I couldn't reach it easily he grabbed my legs and let me "reach further". Afterward I was "treated" to a bath in an old steel tub. A fond "memory from the past". And no, I no longer want to reach into, or stick my head "down there".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #39
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
There are SO many ways to take this conversation sideways....to a deep, dark place but I'll just continue to enjoy the conversation.

I find it of interest (I know, another tale) because when I was small we lived in a rural work camp. The little houses each had a cylindrical, below ground, concrete "cesspool". Maybe 2' in diameter at most. Those things filled up and had to be emptied. How you may ask? With a coffee can on the end of a long piece of heavy wire then dumped into a bucket. At the earliest age my dad conscripted me to do the "emptying" - barely able to pull the coffee can out of the "hole". When the level dropped to where I couldn't reach it easily he grabbed my legs and let me "reach further". Afterward I was "treated" to a bath in an old steel tub. A fond "memory from the past". And no, I no longer want to reach into, or stick my head "down there".
Eeww!
When we first moved to Oz, we had an outside thunderbox and every day, someone had to dig a hole somewhere on the property and bury the contents of the can. While that was physically hard in Australia's clay soil and smelly, I give the bravery award (no, you can keep it...Really) to you. Being hung upside down, down a septic tank is ...
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:54 AM   #40
notanlines

Ihaven, I for one would be forever grateful if you never used the phrase 'Industrial Proctoscope' again on the forum. The visions in my mind's eye are horrific...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank