Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
Claudius

Paint

How weird?
I need some touch-up paint for my trailer and e-mailing this person at keystone
i get "we have no idea what the paint codes are since we send them out, and the company doesn't tell us"
When i buy a vehicle i get paint codes, but not on trailers?
I don't dare ask for stickers...lol
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Someone has paint codes I assume. I'm not sure who you are talking to at Keystone but generally it's a frontline person that wouldn't know a paint code from a paint chip.

I would suggest you talk to a dealer. I had my trailer cap completely repainted, new decals etc. by my dealer and the paint matched the rest of the trailer exactly so someone had that information somewhere; maybe the dealer, maybe Keystone but they did a great job.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Claudius

Funny

Lol i should tell her that, I asked her about my Atwood fridge and got just about the same answer. I replaced it with a Dometic, after it sucked my 30lb propane tank dry in 10 days.
Came home on friday and on sunday the fridge was warm. Luckily the freezer was empty by then.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
travelin texans

You didn't state what rv you have. If it's gelcoat/fiberglass they don't paint them., it's blended into the material not painted so there are no codes available. My 5er is painted with automotive paint & received touch up bottles with codes on the bottles.
Most any auto parts dealer that sells paint could most likely mix up something to match if you could get a sample to them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
Claudius

Not fiberglass
all the info should have been in my user cp. It wasn't staying when i enter it.
Had to put city in there.

2013 hideout 30RKSWE
Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Lol i should tell her that, I asked her about my Atwood fridge and got just about the same answer. I replaced it with a Dometic, after it sucked my 30lb propane tank dry in 10 days.
Came home on friday and on sunday the fridge was warm. Luckily the freezer was empty by then.
Just to save you frustration, don't call Keystone first. They work through the dealers and your dealer is your first line of contact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Not fiberglass
all the info should have been in my user cp. It wasn't staying when i enter it.
Had to put city in there.

2013 hideout 30RKSWE
Maybe I called wrong, but I'm betting with that model the front/rear caps are gelcoat & the sides are filon, a form of fiberglass, unless it's aluminum sides.
If you bought it used the previous owner may have had the caps painted as gelcoat in some of the colors has a bad reputation of fading badly & the only permanent cure is to have it painted. The sides, unless aluminum will, not have been painted.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-25-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
travelin texans

With that model the front/rear caps will be gelcoat, the sides are filon, a form of fiberglass & neither came from the factory painted, it's blended in the material. There are only a few companies in Indiana that paint all of the "painted" rvs/motorhomes & If they started painting smaller rvs they'd probably never sell them the increased cost would a big deterrent. If you bought the rv used the previous owner may have had the caps painted under warranty due to severe fading, but the dealer did not do the painting, they are not equipped to do an occasional paint job, but left that job to a local body shop & they either get the paint from a automotive paint vendor, auto parts store or in most cases custom mix their own on site.
As I said take a sample, or the rv, to one of those places & they can ccustom mix up some paint for you. It's just like home improvement stores, take a sample in, they put in the computer & formula is set.
All this is useless if yours has aluminum sides.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-26-2018, 03:03 AM   #9
Tinner12002

Couldn't the OP of purchased an RV with a full paint package?? Surely he has some idea whether its just fiberglass or painted. Lots of companies offer partial and full paint options for their different model lines. Could have been a special run on a model with paint...who knows.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The 2013 Hideout travel trailers are an "all aluminum skinned" trailer. Fifth wheels are FILON skinned, but there is no FILON and no Gelcoat finish "anywhere" on travel trailers in the 2013 line. The entire trailer (except for the wheelwell fenders and the front "mudguard") is all aluminum skin. Typically there are two colors, "Arctic White" (bright white) and "Colonial White" (More of a creamy off white color). Almost every RV parts counter will have "rattle cans" in both colors and most that sell Keystone trailers will have "rattle cans" for the wheelwell fenders as well. Keep in mind that white, just like all other colors, will fade with prolonged exposure to UV from the sun and there will probably be a significant "color difference" between new painted surfaces and 5 year old painted surfaces. I wouldn't expect any "off the shelf" color coded paint to match 5 year old paint on any trailer. Possibly an auto paint shop can "custom match" the paint, but nothing will "match from a retailer.

With the exception of recent years when aluminum trailers have been produced in tan, black, gray and blue, almost all Keystone entry level aluminum skinned trailers are Arctic White.

The Hideout line has never been offered with an "automotive paint option". It's a "take it or leave it" prepainted corrugated aluminum skinned unit.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
Claudius

Dealer just contacted me and said they would get Lordco to scan and match.
Been there done that. Its a metallic paint. The scanner doesn't like metallic. I used a automotive paint book also. That didn't go well either because the lighting is never right and you end up spending a bunch of money for metallic paint and hardener. I think i'll get some pin striping
Old 01-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Depending on what you're trying to cover, you might consider a "swoop" decal from EBay. Something like these??? Just go to EBay.com and do a search for "RV decal" and pages of choices will "appear"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWOOP.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	15161   Click image for larger version

Name:	SWOOP2.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	15162  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Claudius

They are rub marks made by a tarp, not a bright idea. so they are straight across rather than curved. I've had to do quite a bit of work on this unit after i bought it from the original owner 2 years ago. New awning, just for a start. Amazing what some people can do in 3 years. Still seem to have issues with the black water tank sensor. It likes to read 3/4 full sometimes even though the tank is empty. Its ongoing it seems.
I did the ebay thing already. Lots of choices there at great cost also....lol, but none appeal to me
Old 01-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Don't worry about the sensors. They may or may not ever work correctly again but it probably isn't due to any serious malfunction....that's just what they do.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #15
Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Don't worry about the sensors. They may or may not ever work correctly again but it probably isn't due to any serious malfunction....that's just what they do.
Lol....in keystone products?
This is our third trailer and never had issues before. Old Vanguard and a Fleetwood Terry. Its annoying to say the least. This would be fixed by now if this trailer didn't have a covered underbelly and it might still get done.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:33 AM   #16
notanlines

Claudius, you're a little optimistic over the subject of black tank sensor repair. Of all the items the previous owners may have abused, this probably isn't one of them. Tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate across ALL brands, not Keystone. If you haven't had that experience with the other brands you are in the minority.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

And once again I will chime in: proper cleaning of the tanks, use of proper products and they work. I’ve owned 4 fifth wheels starting in 1989, Fleetwood, Jayco and now Keystone. I’ve worked on too many brands to list here. Only had ONE unit that I replaced ONE sensor. It was a used unit that was clearly not cared for.
Stepping down from my soapbox.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Claudius

Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate across ALL brands, not Keystone. If you haven't had that experience with the other brands you are in the minority.
You are saying that if your tank is Empty and it reads 3/4 full, its acceptable?
I find that hard to believe. My two grays are fine as is my fresh. Accurate? No, but reliable in that i know when they say "full" they are close to being "full" and they read "empty" when dumped. This isn't my first rodeo, like most i started out tenting and upgraded along the way Vans, Campers and Trailers. Now i've been retired for some years. The tank issue is a simple one
if i want to get at it and if things haven't change. 30 years ago my Vanguard had some reading issues. There were four wires connected to four stainless bolts that screwed right into the Tank. I took them out and cleaned them, screwed them back in and all was fine. That was the black tank also just like this one. My terry's fresh tank would say 1/4 full but it was empty. I can live with that.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #19
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
You are saying that if your tank is Empty and it reads 3/4 full, its acceptable?
I find that hard to believe. My two grays are fine as is my fresh. Accurate? No, but reliable in that i know when they say "full" they are close to being "full" and they read "empty" when dumped. This isn't my first rodeo, like most i started out tenting and upgraded along the way Vans, Campers and Trailers. Now i've been retired for some years. The tank issue is a simple one
if i want to get at it and if things haven't change. 30 years ago my Vanguard had some reading issues. There were four wires connected to four stainless bolts that screwed right into the Tank. I took them out and cleaned them, screwed them back in and all was fine. That was the black tank also just like this one. My terry's fresh tank would say 1/4 full but it was empty. I can live with that.
I think what he's saying is that you may have some toity paper (or worse) stuck on the sensor. You can check the wires all you want, but it's a mechanical internal problem rather than an external electrical problem.

Do a search on here and you'll find more Posts about the same issue than you could read in several days.

A lot of folks on the forum have given up on the sensors because they don't always work as designed. Instead, they have moved on to the tried and true Cousin Eddie method: $h!tters full, Clark. Then they dump. To each their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #20
Claudius

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
And once again I will chime in: proper cleaning of the tanks, use of proper products and they work. I’ve owned 4 fifth wheels starting in 1989, Fleetwood, Jayco and now Keystone. I’ve worked on too many brands to list here. Only had ONE unit that I replaced ONE sensor. It was a used unit that was clearly not cared for.
Stepping down from my soapbox.
I agree and have been there and done that. I like to let my Pooper tank slosh around a bit down the road before i dump. 1/2 full is nice. I've not needed to use cleaners before until this one. Hasn't helped sofar. I'm not sure yet what the problem is yet either. The guy had the trailer sitting in his yard for three years and used the pooper. I never thought to check. At home i pushed the tank buttons and black was full. I pushed the pedal on the toilet and couldn't believe my eyes....i could see the poop, it right at the top....and the SMELL!!
he never used any kind of digester. Ran the internal black tank flush for 30 minutes and tried from the top also. Didn't work, still looked like something was hung up on the sensors. Filled the black Tank and used a cleaner and it sat for a month. Smell is gone, but after the dump its still reads erratic. I have some stuff that my dealer gave me and its supposed clean the sensors...i'll try that later.

Tags
paint