Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
After reading some of these other posts I have to wonder why others are getting better mpg than I am. Just hauled my camper with a wt of 6800 lbs loaded from Pennsylvania to Florida this weekend. I got as low 5.4 mpg and as high as 8.2 with an over all average for 1100 mile trip at 7.4 mpg. I tow at a speed of 65 max. I have noticed and mentioned to the dealer a drop in mpg on my truck since I bought it in 2011. They say they find nothing out of the ordinary. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Hello Rich - You probably won't like my opinion, but - [B]It's all in the right foot![B] My DW almost always gets better fuel mileage than I because she is easier on the throttle and brake. FWIW - JMHO

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #22
richf28

Like I said...I was running at 60 and max 65 mph. So I can't see my foot as the issue. Why do guys on here always like to place blame on others?

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #23
jsmith948

Quote:
Like I said...I was running at 60 and max 65 mph. So I can't see my foot as the issue. Why do guys on here always like to place blame on others?
Hello Rich,
I certainly did not mean to offend you. Simply trying to offer you a possible reason for your fuel mileage being lower than others with the same TV. BTW - the right foot comment has more to do with amount of throttle used on take off and the amount of brake used when stopping than the actual speed at which you drive. Anyway - good luck

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalsimba View Post
This post has really opened my eyes to the realities of the EcoBoost fuel economy, which at one time I had hoped would appear in an Expedition.

My Vortec 6.0L 2009 Suburban 2500 4x4 will average 15MPG on long trips, unloaded, and 9MPG towing. I've seen 8MPG on a short tow over significant mountainous terrain; but never lower.

Here's the thing though, I'm heavy compared to what some of you are reporting. My 303TG TT is typically 8200# every time I tow it; and I'm carrying 600lbs of people (6 total passengers) whenever I go. I even bet with my Full tank of gas , and my additional luggage, I'm hauling 1000#, before I ever hitch the trailer, for a total payload of around 1900#, for a TV with a MAX payload capacity of 2273#.

Apply this logic to the EcoBoost XLT SuperCrew with "MAX Towing" package whose payload capacity is 2290# (KingRanch is 1900#, Platimum Edition is only 1840#, & HarleyDavidson is only 1300#)

IF, and I mean IF, you are running an EcoBoost XLT SuperCrew with Max Towing package, and certainly have less load in your truck, than I have in my 9 passenger SUV, and your RV is lighter than mine, your Total Cost of Ownership is pretty high for 7.5MPG towing. I'm not convinced you can make that up unloaded, just my 2 cents for those currently considering trading into an EcoBoost.

Plus, as mentioned, it REALLY depends on your "Trim" package what "Max Towing Package" really means, plus how many occupants you will have in the vehicle in determining how safe your 1/2-ton will be for your setup.
I'm finding it hard to believe you are getting 9mpg with that kind of load??? I average between 9.8-10.6mpg with my 7500lb trailer depending on the hills. A good friend of mine has almost the same truck as yours it's a 2012 gmc yukon XL 2500 with the 6.2L. He tows the sister camper to mine which is a 2012 Cougar 29BHS and he averaged 7.5mpg on a trip from Connecticut to Florida. It's a nice truck but it just cannot hold a candle stick to my Ecoboost on the steep grades unless his tach is seeing close to 4000rpm's and watching that gas gauge sink.... And I'm almost willing to bet the brakes on his are pretty close to mine in size....So don't look at these trucks as your average 1/2 ton when they have more power and more payload than your 3/4 ton 2500..
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
EcoboostKev

Quote:
After reading some of these other posts I have to wonder why others are getting better mpg than I am. Just hauled my camper with a wt of 6800 lbs loaded from Pennsylvania to Florida this weekend. I got as low 5.4 mpg and as high as 8.2 with an over all average for 1100 mile trip at 7.4 mpg. I tow at a speed of 65 max. I have noticed and mentioned to the dealer a drop in mpg on my truck since I bought it in 2011. They say they find nothing out of the ordinary. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Has your dealer done all the latest updates?? I complained about my mileage awhile back and the did a computer update and i was told it would improve mileage and smooth out the shifting in the trans.. I didn't ever really have a problem with the trans but did notice a difference in the mileage. I averaged around 14.0 around town before the update and 17.0 on the highway. After the update i now average 15.5mpg around town and a best of 18.9 on the highway at 70mph.. What is your truck averaging when unloaded??
Old 01-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #26
richf28

Yep. All updates are done. I brought my mpg problem up to the dealer and they said they couldn't find any problems. My mpg has slowly fallen since buying the truck. I now average around 14 overall and 16-17 on the highway with cruise on. Read some articles on truck sites that claim plug gap and vacuum leaks pose a problem on these trucks.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #27
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Ford recommends premium fuel for towing, and although I've never seen an MPG improvement with premium in normal driving, I see a significant improvement when towing. That said, on the F150Forum, there have been complaints about the variability in fuel mileage for the EcoBoost. Cold weather and short trips severely impact the MPG. I commute 70 miles daily, get 20.5 mpg in the summer and 17.5 in the winter. Towing my 8500 lb fiver at 60 mph, I get 10-11 with premium and 9-10 with 87 octane. I do run the Livernois Motorsports 87 Tow Tune and I believe that helps.
Also check your spark plugs as several have found a large discrepancy in the gap and Ford changed the recommended gap down to .34 after 2011 when it seemed the boost might be blowing out the spark.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
I can tell you this, not technically knowing if it applies to the EcoBoost. My 2012 Mustang 5.0 (Coyote) REQUIRES 87 Octane fuel. Running anything higher kills fuel economy, and I'm told will erode valves and injectors due to pre-detonation. Does this apply to the EcoBoost?
No, Ford recommends premium for towing and hot summers for the EcoBoost.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #29
Murf

Nice to see familiar faces here. Just came over to check things out. I also have the Eco and a 5th wheel. Mileage on this motor is too drastic at times. All summer I can easily get 23 of a trip, but around town it's 17, winter good luck seeing 20 no matter what you do. Towing 10-11. It's like a woman. But the one thing I don't complain about is the power.

Anyway to the OP yes an eco will do fine. But is your 350 paid off? Your looking to drop between 30-40k just to have a "smaller" truck. I don't see the reasoning to move down even if you still owe half the value on your 350.
Murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
tribalsimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post
?.. a 2012 gmc yukon XL 2500 with the 6.2L. He tows the sister camper to mine which is a 2012 Cougar 29BHS and he averaged 7.5mpg on a trip from Connecticut to Florida. ...So don't look at these trucks as your average 1/2 ton when they have more power and more payload than your 3/4 ton 2500..
Please try to understand, my primary focus and criticism is how well the entire chassis will hold up in the event of an emergency. Not how well it gets going, goes, or drinks. I do encourage you to compare your rear brake pads and rotors side by side with his. If your right, that's fantastic!

I remain encouraged that the fuel economy is only neglible. Discussing fuel economy, much is in the "foot" as others mention, and also, recall that the Yukon is dressed with heavier luxuries inside and out, than my base model Suburban LS, with only a 6.0L. That means the Yukon has more payload onboard before hitching. I'm also traveling with toddlers, not teenagers. Which may add a few pounds in your brothers case. Tires can change things, and terrain. I get 11mpg towing in Ohio, but only got 9 going across PA mountains.

From what I hear, here and from others, I am doing pretty good for my trailer & TV setup, but I also chose as I did intentionally, knowing what I do about the actuals in vehicle appointments and payload.

Another thing I have going for me, my Laredo has no exposed bottles, full underbody covering, not sure about the passport or cougar. Maybe you brother doesn't air up his tires to 80lbs, maybe he has an exhaust, maybe he has an engine issue. Mine did, when they replaced the evap canister, it helped my daily driving economy.

So... FWIW

I'm still concerned for all those looking at ecoboosts, and other 1/2 tons, not considering the safety factors all around, but focusing on fuel economy and pulling power.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #31
EcoboostKev

As far as i know there is know other 1/2 ton out there that compares to the new F150 with max tow and HD pkg. With an available payload around 2100-2300lbs for a Supercrew and a tow rating of 11,000lbs+ they shouldn't even be considered 1/2 tons anymore. And anyone thinking about purchasing one as a tow vehicle have no fear!! Just stay within the trucks ratings and you will be fine...
Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #32
tribalsimba

Just to be clear....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post
As far as i know there is know other 1/2 ton out there that compares to the new F150 with max tow and HD pkg. With an available payload around 2100-2300lbs for a Supercrew and a tow rating of 11,000lbs+ they shouldn't even be considered 1/2 tons anymore. And anyone thinking about purchasing one as a tow vehicle have no fear!! Just stay within the trucks ratings and you will be fine...
Not saying the F150 EcoBoost isn't the most capable 1/2 ton out there for bridging the 3/4 ton gap, or a bad recommendation for the original poster. Just to clarify what your saying, the payload capacity of an EcoBoost "SuperCrew" with the MAX TOW package could be up to 1900lbs, depending on chassis. Then, also, when you also add the HD PAYLOAD option (which Everyone has suggested) it could bump to 2310lbs, again, depending. But you have to pay very close attention to the details of the exact truck you buy, and the Sport/Platinum, etc trim packages WILL consume some of that payload.

I bet the 4.10 and 3.73's do the same to the EcoBoost as they do to all trucks, increase pulling power, at the sacrifice to economy. The original poster was downgrading from an F350. I'd suggest for the total cost of ownership, the EcoBoost isn't the best bang for the buck in the first year, but possibly over several, if the mpg's daily driving stay above 17.

Since most don't dig into the details, and many on this forum have tried with lesser options, 3/4 ton simplifies the discussion. If your sure about the details, and factored the fuel costs over your ownership expectancy, it may be the better truck.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
EcoboostKev

Quote:
Please try to understand, my primary focus and criticism is how well the entire chassis will hold up in the event of an emergency. Not how well it gets going, goes, or drinks. I do encourage you to compare your rear brake pads and rotors side by side with his. If your right, that's fantastic!

I remain encouraged that the fuel economy is only neglible. Discussing fuel economy, much is in the "foot" as others mention, and also, recall that the Yukon is dressed with heavier luxuries inside and out, than my base model Suburban LS, with only a 6.0L. That means the Yukon has more payload onboard before hitching. I'm also traveling with toddlers, not teenagers. Which may add a few pounds in your brothers case. Tires can change things, and terrain. I get 11mpg towing in Ohio, but only got 9 going across PA mountains.

From what I hear, here and from others, I am doing pretty good for my trailer & TV setup, but I also chose as I did intentionally, knowing what I do about the actuals in vehicle appointments and payload.

Another thing I have going for me, my Laredo has no exposed bottles, full underbody covering, not sure about the passport or cougar. Maybe you brother doesn't air up his tires to 80lbs, maybe he has an exhaust, maybe he has an engine issue. Mine did, when they replaced the evap canister, it helped my daily driving economy.

So... FWIW

I'm still concerned for all those looking at ecoboosts, and other 1/2 tons, not considering the safety factors all around, but focusing on fuel economy and pulling power.
Just out of curiosity i wanted to see what the difference was in size of rotors. But i compared my F150 to a Superduty.

Fronts were 3mm bigger than Superduty

Rears were 8mm bigger

The F150 rotors are obviously not quite as strong and heavy duty as the others but certainly strong enough to handle anything within the F150's ratings. Not sure what size rotors are on your Suburban but considering your truck must be atleast 1000lbs heavier than mine I'm almost thinking my chances are a smidgen better than yours of being able to stop my rig better in an emergency situation. It also doesn't hurt that the new F150's comes with built sway control so if i lose control the computer will add breaking to the correct wheels and trailer to try and keep everything in a straight line. So like i said, don't be CONCERNED of those looking at the Ecoboost or any other 1/2 ton for that matter. As long as they are within the trucks ratings they will be fine. Not everyone needs a 3/4 ton or larger for a tow vehicle.. So lets just get out there and CAMP!!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
raycan2

Hey

Well Iam new to the Forum, But I just bought a 2013 Keystone Cougar 27 BHS and a week later bought a 2013 F-150 4x4 Eco Boost with the tow package and I hope it does fine, Iam thinking of getting airbags on it..
raycan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
Festus2
Site Team

raycan2-
The airbags will help with the ride and getting the two units level but a reminder that the bags will do nothing to increase your payload or towing capacity.