Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
aricker243

EZ-LUBE Funny

confucius say.... STOP USING THE EZ LUBE
Click image for larger version

Name:	ez.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	42493
aricker243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
bobbecky

At least the brakes will never wear out
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

WOW !!!!! And just look at where the jack and jack stand are positioned !!! not only won't the brakes ever work again, the spindle, axle and U-bolts are going to be "rendered unserviceable" because of jacking the trailer while using the jack under the axle !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post
confucius say.... STOP USING THE EZ LUBE
Attachment 42493
That's been stated on this & other forums numerous times, NEVER USE THE EZ LUBE!
Apparently that's why it's called EZ LUBE, it's very EASY to LUBE up the brake shoes?
Yet there are those that say "I use it all the time!".
New brake backing plates with shoes, magnets & everything else already fully assembled with only 4-5 bolts to remove & several cans of brake clean for the hubs is the best option for easily correcting this issue.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:18 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Ummm, what's wrong with that?? I thought the wheel was supposed to hold at least 4 tubes of grease? I guess "I do it all the time" adds up!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Renders a whole new meaning to "packing" it with grease.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:56 PM   #7
Ramtop

It was Squeaky. A few tubes of grease stopped that noise.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:35 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ummm, what's wrong with that?? I thought the wheel was supposed to hold at least 4 tubes of grease? I guess "I do it all the time" adds up!
I was thinking at least two tubes, but four seems reasonable.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
Mic

I have seen that make its rounds.

looking closely there is NO inner seal...
.hence the packing of brakes with grease.

I am sure there has got to be ppl out there that are successful using EZ lube.
usually only those with problems seek the inter web and post stuff ???

else why are they still manufacturing it (Dexter) if it is not good????
Old 12-20-2022, 12:28 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
I have seen that make its rounds.

looking closely there is NO inner seal...
.hence the packing of brakes with grease.

I am sure there has got to be ppl out there that are successful using EZ lube.
usually only those with problems seek the inter web and post stuff ???

else why are they still manufacturing it (Dexter) if it is not good????
Look again, it’s there. I had to blow up the picture, and I have seen the rear seal on the spindle and not the drum a few times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #11
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Look again, it’s there. I had to blow up the picture, and I have seen the rear seal on the spindle and not the drum a few times.
hard to tell

I looked so many times...might be there...but nobody....but 1 person knows for sure.

lets presume it is there....does not the spindle have a lip to retain the inner seal and bearing ....
IF the castle nut is properly torqued ???

just trying to image how this happens
if the wheel is off ground
spun by hand
as just a small amount it pumping in...liek NOT 2-4 tubes ????

Old 12-20-2022, 02:29 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Yes, the inner seal is visible behind the bearing. Apparently the word FUNNY in the title was overlooked as well.
Old 12-20-2022, 03:19 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep, the grease seal is present, on the spindle, behind the bearing/race. It's not in the hub, where one would expect it to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ LUBE GREASE SEAL BEHIND BEARING.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	42498  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:22 PM   #14
German Shepherd Guy

One of my best friends is a mechanic for our local power company. Before that for our ski area, before that on his own, 25 plus years. He does a lot of trailers for the power company. A lot. He told me, and I believe him, that as long as I use a hand luber, not a power assist one, I will be fine with the easy lube system. He has me check the play in the wheel, and has me stop before I force grease out. I know, THIS IS BAD, from all the post, but so far, three years now, it has served me well and works. So in answer to the question, "who uses EZ LUbe?" I use the EZ lube system successfully. I know, I know, it is bad, but I BELIEVE i can make it work by using operator caution and observation. Kind of like religion, I take it on faith, and so far it has done me well.
Oak, a user of the EZ Lube system.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

I think a lot of the issues with the system is operator error, i.e., not following the directions. The biggest issue I see is NOT SEEING the condition of the bearings and seals. It's better than not pulling the drum off but like most things, without using a bit of common sense will typically end up with a negative result.

JMHO
Old 12-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post

One of my best friends is a mechanic for our local power company. Before that for our ski area, before that on his own, 25 plus years. He does a lot of trailers for the power company. A lot. He told me, and I believe him, that as long as I use a hand luber, not a power assist one, I will be fine with the easy lube system. He has me check the play in the wheel, and has me stop before I force grease out. I know, THIS IS BAD, from all the post, but so far, three years now, it has served me well and works. So in answer to the question, "who uses EZ LUbe?" I use the EZ lube system successfully. I know, I know, it is bad, but I BELIEVE i can make it work by using operator caution and observation. Kind of like religion, I take it on faith, and so far it has done me well.
Oak, a user of the EZ Lube system.

Oak at some point you HAVE to pull those wheels/drums to see what's going on. Everything may be great but maybe not. You may be doing thing perfectly and maybe not. You don't have any idea until you pull them and look....and what about the inside of the drums, brake shoes etc.? You don't know if you don't look and a big trailer isn't something you want to get away from you when something lets go.

I "had" a member of my family that decided he really wanted an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Way up in N CO just below the WY line....and I was elected to go get it with DD and GDs. I drove that thing back to NM and told him it needed some work....specifically to check the brakes. He didn't, said it felt "just fine". He then brought it to me in TX to do some work on it and I insisted we pull the wheels/drums and go through it....I wasn't surprised, he was shocked. The drums and shoes were so grooved it was a miracle the vehicle could stop. Said he would get it fixed when he got back. Told him that vehicle wasn't leaving with my family in it. Long story but he stayed an extra day and I had to call in favors from a machine/auto parts shop owner to get him fixed up...more or less. This to point out that a person has no idea what's inside those wheels until you look at them....he thought he was in great shape but........Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:24 PM   #17
fjr vfr

Even if no grease goes through onto the brakes. I believe it's a bad practice for two reasons.
First without pulling the drums and inspecting things you're taking the lazy way betting on blind faith it will be okay and your family will be safe.
Second I believe it's a bad idea packing the whole inside drum cavity with grease, which is what needs to happen for the outer bearing to get grease. All that extra grease does nothing to lubricate the bearings. Filling the cavity full of grease creates friction and excess heat.
Last word, why Dexter is still manufacturing EZ lub? It's simple, It sells more product!
Like any big company what maters is the bottom line...period. It sells more product and makes them more MONEY. That's what they care about.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:30 AM   #18
German Shepherd Guy

Danny, you have never steered me wrong, so, I promise here to you and all, I will pull the wheels this spring before using and inspect, repack if necessary, and replace, if necessary. Yes, you are right, it is because I was/am lazy and having never done it, and living way out here like I do I need to arrange for my friend to come visit and spend the night to show me how to do it properly. I am a hands on kind of learner. Is there anyway to know before the procedure just which races and bearings I would need? A trip into town after I pull everything apart adds an extra day to the process. Thank you, I do appreciate your concern and expertise.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #19
travelin texans

My last 5er the drums looked very similar to those pictured after about 4-5k miles. I had gave each spindle zerk about 4-5 pumps from my grease gun 1 time following Lipperts/Dexters instructions of off the ground spinning & slowly pumping so either the factory, highly doubtful, or the dealer had pumped them full of grease before I purchased. I was reimbursed by Crossroads, now Keystone, for 4 brake backing plates, good quality double lipped seals& whatever else I spent to clean up the mess. I removed those zerks from the spindles & added plugs, that wasnt going to happen again. If the bearings needed grease the hubs were removed & bearings handpacked as they were meant to be. And I'd agree the EZ Lube is just the lazy man's way to add grease & a good way to make a big mess costing $$.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:17 PM   #20
foldbak

Wow....a common problem really. But still wow!

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote