Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
ChuckS

In Command No Temp Reading and A/C won’t turn on

Ever since the HVAC control was included into some Keystone units via the In Command Display there have been several instances of this issue..
1. Set point Temp is displayed
2. No temp reading displayed for actual Zone temperature
3. No operation of the HVAC Zone with no temp reading

The usual fixes are to either reboot the BCM or if that fails to correct the issue then a hard reboot of the In Command system may correct the issue

This is usually caused by the gateway latching up and not being able to communicate across the CANBUS to the In Command display and BCM

However.. If the roof mounted A/C control box and/or gateway units have lost 12 volt DC power to them then the same symptoms addressed above will occur..
.. No Zone Temp Display
.. No operation of the Zone affected

The roof mounted A/C control box and gateway must have a continuous 12 volt DC source to them or you will have issues,,

The source for 12 volts DC is usually fed up from the main power center DC BUS side and may have a separate ATC fuse labeled as such OR the control box and gateway may be getting their 12 volt DC source piggy backed from some other location..

If you have done an In Command Reset and your display still shows no indicated zone temp from that zone’s remote temp sensor this PDF file may be useful toward further troubleshooting and fixing your issue
Attached Files
File Type: pdf No Temp on In Command Display Troubleshooting.pdf (1.63 MB, 292 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Chuck thanks for the post and info. InCommand, IMO, was a solution trying to find a problem....a bad solution. I stipulated while searching for a new trailer that InCommand could not be in it, have been close to it or considered for it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I believe Chuck S is the resident GURU for all things “in Command”. Thank you sir!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:09 PM   #4
ChuckS

Hope some folks find the info useful.l also am not fond of In Command, One Touch, etc.. while the concept is neat having everything consolidated into one control system it presents a myriad of potential problems down the road..

My 2014 Alpine 3010RE was the only 2024 Alpine on the lot that didn’t have In Command. It’s got real light switches and such.

It would have been a much more robust system if they had kept the HVAC separate using wall mounted thermostats like the Montana did.. the Montana thermostats still use a CANBUS for the thermostat communication but it’s not tied into the In Command Display

Much easier to troubleshoot

Old 11-09-2022, 07:11 PM   #5
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I believe Chuck S is the resident GURU for all things “in Command”. Thank you sir!!!
Naw.. I’m just an old fart that learns a lot from your posts everyday .. you sir are the true Guru

Old 11-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #6
RollaMo

Thanks Chuck,

Saved the PDF, so I would have it when/if needed.
Knock on wood, so far no issues.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:35 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Naw.. I’m just an old fart that learns a lot from your posts everyday .. you sir are the true Guru
Right back at ya!! I cut my teeth on Lippert’s one control and Tiffins Spyder system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:37 PM   #8
Village Idiot

For the reasons stated above when I add a 2nd AC next spring I am strongly considering using a separate thermostat and not running it through the in-command. I haven't had any issues with my in-command but look at this as a back-up AC for when I do.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:05 AM   #9
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Ever since the HVAC control was included into some Keystone units via the In Command Display there have been several instances of this issue..
1. Set point Temp is displayed
2. No temp reading displayed for actual Zone temperature
3. No operation of the HVAC Zone with no temp reading

The usual fixes are to either reboot the BCM or if that fails to correct the issue then a hard reboot of the In Command system may correct the issue

This is usually caused by the gateway latching up and not being able to communicate across the CANBUS to the In Command display and BCM

However.. If the roof mounted A/C control box and/or gateway units have lost 12 volt DC power to them then the same symptoms addressed above will occur..
.. No Zone Temp Display
.. No operation of the Zone affected

The roof mounted A/C control box and gateway must have a continuous 12 volt DC source to them or you will have issues,,

The source for 12 volts DC is usually fed up from the main power center DC BUS side and may have a separate ATC fuse labeled as such OR the control box and gateway may be getting their 12 volt DC source piggy backed from some other location..

If you have done an In Command Reset and your display still shows no indicated zone temp from that zone’s remote temp sensor this PDF file may be useful toward further troubleshooting and fixing your issue
Had to break out this excellent troubleshooting guide yesterday. I had the trailer home for some routine maintenance and wanted to test my furnace. When I fired up InCommand to turn it on, I discovered the '-F' temp reading. Both reset options were unsuccessful so I figured I'd move on to check for 12v power. When I opened the power center door I realized (red light) that my furnace ATC fuse had blown. Swapped it out and all is good. No idea why or when it blew.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:32 AM   #10
cougar23

Message for Chuckster 57
Can the InCommand system be replaced with old conventional buttons/switches?
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:11 PM   #11
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
Message for Chuckster 57
Can the InCommand system be replaced with old conventional buttons/switches?
Hopefully the other fella don’t mind me jumping in. He is much more experienced.

Your 2023 could have one of 3 versions of In Command installed. Yo7 shl7ld have either the Pro Plus version or Global Connect .. if Global Connect version the 8t could be the NCSP3 or MCSP35.

All three versions use a central interface called the BCM “Bod6 Control Module” to bring all the different systems into one central control point

So.. for example. All interior lighting if controlled only via the In Command Display has each lighting group circuit wire routed to the BCM.

When you make a selection on your display screen to turn on a given Interior Light group then a relay on the BCM is closed and 12 volts is now sent along that light group wire to those specific interior lights

To do this without the BCM and Display Screen then you would have to tie in a SPST switch to send 12 volts to that interior light group..

Your problem will be routing a switch wiring that you mount inside to control a that group of interior lights ..

I’ve used two 8mages from the In Command website for the NCSP3 version as an example. This gives you and idea of what you are up against to wire a wall switch inside for each lighting group, let alone all the other items controlled

Can it be done? Yes. But it will be a major wiring pain in the butt and a big task.

I’ve added a link to ASA Jensen In Command Net webpage.lnfromtheremyoumcwn identify your exact version of in command and then look at the BCM wiring

Quite frankly is a task I would not want to take on unless the display and BCM were obsolete and I had to purchase a newer version, etc

https://in-command.net/control-systems/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32CE61C0-5B1B-4633-8523-A1C8ED0ED8B1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	42407   Click image for larger version

Name:	83783D5E-89D9-4B6C-9606-08553F931FFA.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	42408