Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2022, 10:56 AM   #1
ep4me

Cougar half ton fifth wheels

I am confused on the bed size for Cougar half ton fifth wheels, are they full size "80" inch queens or are they camper Queens, or both depending on the models

Any clarification would be appreciated thanks
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:01 AM   #2
Camping family

Mine is a short queen
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
jsb5717

Most people replace the OEM mattress right away for, you know, a good one. In many cases a standard queen/king will fit in the same place as the OEM. You might need to look at the space in the specific rig you're considering. I replaced our mattress with a standard queen and never had a problem with space.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:23 PM   #4
Roper46

My Cougar came with a "standard queen" which is 60 x 80. But the OEM mattress was not very thick. I just recently replaced it with a 60 x 80 Serta memory foam 10 inch thick mattress.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:54 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Based on info in the brochure, Cougar Luxury shows a 60x80 residential queen. The 1/2 tons just say queen. My experience with Keystone is since they didn’t specify 60x80 in the brochure, it’s an RV queen which is 60x74
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 05:31 PM   #6
fjr vfr

Tape measure. They're cheap and you probably already have one.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
sierraman68

Our Cougar Half-Ton 25RES came with a short queen. We originally replaced it with a standard queen but since that was a very heavy mattress, we had moved over from our previous TT, we finally decided to go with a Sleep Number short queen. Much less weight and with an additional 2 inch topper we sleep great.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:36 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Most, probably all Cougar Half Ton fifth wheel models have a short queen mattress. The Cougar "full size fifth wheels" do have a 60x80 queen mattress in almost all models. The Cougar Half Ton travel trailers are either a "short queen, full size queen or RV king" depending on model.

Be careful about using a full size queen without measuring. On many Cougar Half Ton fifth wheels, the bed is oriented "front to back" and there is very limited space at the foot of the bed to walk around the mattress. Add the "inward sloping front cap" and a tall mattress (more than about 8") will also start to encroach on that space because the front wall forces the mattress toward the foot of the bed.

You could end up with only 5 or 6 inches with a "comfortable to sleep 14" thick mattress"...

It's best to wait until you have the trailer "in hand" and do some critical measurements (don't forget the mattress thickness) to make sure you can still get around the end of the bed. It's no fun with DW crawling over you to get out of bed 2 or 3 times a night. In that situation, does your "sleep better" on the larger mattress offset the lack of staying asleep from the conditions it creates by reducing access to both sides???? Some endure the issues, some can't get any sleep because of it, even though the matterss is "as comfortable as the one at home"....

Trailers are "different than houses" and the limited space is only one of those differences...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:21 AM   #9
peanut

My 24RDS came with a short queen. I knew that when we bought it and my intention was to replace it with a full queen right away. There is plenty of room at the end of the bed for a comfortable "side shuffle" to get past it, and, since it would be me doing that "side shuffle", that wasn't important. But a long queen is (to me - I'm tall and that short mattress just doesn't work well for me).

I've discovered what may be a problem, however. The bed pedestal is short, too. And the piece of plywood that the mattress lays on is already 5" - 6" shorter than the mattress. That means that a full queen would extend almost a full foot past the supporting plywood. That concerns me as I don't know if that would negatively affect the mattress or not. (the supporting plywood base on my previous TT's were full length of the mattress.) Still trying to work thru it.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Fully agree with John, wait and measure. With the ongoing and past 2+ years of supply chain issues I wouldn't trust 2 trailers with consecutive VIN numbers to be "identical". JMO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
Hballer21

Queen Bed

Mines a short queen. A very uncomfortable cheap queen at that. Had a full queen that I stuck in there. As previously noted, it overhung by about 12”.

Opportunity: As a woodworker, added 12” to the short plywood base underneath. Problem solved…until the complaints kept coming about the lack of room to walk to the closet.

Solution: Removed the extra plywood. Removed the full sized queen mattress. Ordered a good quality short queen from Amazon. Problem solved!
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:59 PM   #12
notanlines

HBaller, "complaints kept coming about the lack of room to walk to the closet."
I realize that if Momma ain't happy aint nobody happy. However in this case you may have set manhood back forty years.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #13
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
My 24RDS came with a short queen. I knew that when we bought it and my intention was to replace it with a full queen right away. There is plenty of room at the end of the bed for a comfortable "side shuffle" to get past it, and, since it would be me doing that "side shuffle", that wasn't important. But a long queen is (to me - I'm tall and that short mattress just doesn't work well for me).

I've discovered what may be a problem, however. The bed pedestal is short, too. And the piece of plywood that the mattress lays on is already 5" - 6" shorter than the mattress. That means that a full queen would extend almost a full foot past the supporting plywood. That concerns me as I don't know if that would negatively affect the mattress or not. (the supporting plywood base on my previous TT's were full length of the mattress.) Still trying to work thru it.
The previous owner of my Copper Canyon either bought or built a pedestal for a full size queen mattress. The pedestal is wide enough and deep enough to make up the space difference from the camper queen. It has 2 shelves on it that we use for shoes, clothes or whatever. At 6'3" it makes a difference for me.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:59 PM   #14
Hballer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
HBaller, "complaints kept coming about the lack of room to walk to the closet."
I realize that if Momma ain't happy aint nobody happy. However in this case you may have set manhood back forty years.
Well, the choice was to do that or move into the LR. And since we swapped a sofa for 2 recliners, it would NOT be comfortable to spend my evenings in there. Momma’s happy. I’m comfortable. Case closed. At least by adding the second a/c unit last year, I don’t hear about the hot bedroom anymore. Lol
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:04 PM   #15
rlh1957

Not sure what Keystone puts in every model. Measure what you have and how much it overhangs the base support board.
Then measure what a 60x80 Queen will overhang.
It will be just a few inches. Since we get in on the sides it is no problem. Even if we sit on the end of the bed you don’t notice.
You can consider replacing the plywood base board with a longer one.

Whether you have RV Queen or Reg Queen it is a given that you’ll want to spend the money and upgrade your RV mattress to a quality comfortable mattress that’s at least 10”. Remember you are putting a mattress on a board and not a bed foundation or box spring like at home.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM   #16
rlh1957

Our Half Ton Cougar 29RKS came with RV Queen mattress. We changed to Full Queen 60x80 no problem.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:23 PM   #17
Fish-a-Palooza

We just went through this about 10 months ago and every 1/2 ton we looked on the lot had a short queen.

2022 Montana 3231CK, 12770 lb GVWR, 3910 lb Cargo
2020 F350 FX4, Crew, 8 ft, SRW, 6.7L, 10 Spd TX, 4177 lb P/L, 22K 5er towing, Anderson Ultimate Hitch.
Fish-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:18 AM   #18
German Shepherd Guy

I could not sleep on the RV queen. Feet were always hanging out.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:47 AM   #19
jimd1050

Quote:

We have a 30RLS with a short queen and that 5"-6" already makes keeping the topsheet and blanket tucked in, difficult! So, you're right on changing to a full Queen... there'd be nothing to tuck into!!!
jimd1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:40 AM   #20
wrvond

Quote:

Interestingly, the platform on ours is the exact length of the mattress. Since the corners of the mattress are round(ish) the square corners of the plywood actually stick out a bit and present a shin hazard. However, our platform looks like it was made using scrap wood - I ended up taping the edges with Eternabond because the chipping wood edges kept snagging the mattress.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, fifth wheel