Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2022, 11:21 AM   #1
stlrswvu

Rust everywhere

Hi Everyone

We just recently purchased a new 2022 Keystone Sprinter 31TB about two weeks ago.

When we were doing our walk around we noticed everything metal outside was rusted. From the leaf springs, every screw holding anything on, the springs that hold the wires for the slide (one was actually rusted so bad it was broken in half). It was rusted so bad it looked like it sat in the ocean for 20 years and someone brought it up.

In order for me to buy it the dealership is replacing all these items, but wanted to get your thoughts and have you seen them this bad.

The camper I traded in was two years old and is stored outside and really had no rust on it and we live in FL. So, I definitely do not think it is from it just sitting out in the dealers lot. Just amazes me Keystone would allow something like this to leave their factory.

Thanks

Scott
stlrswvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #2
jsb5717

These things are built to live outside and rust doesn't seem to generally be a global issue. Did you buy the rig in Tampa? That's a coastal city so is there typically more salt in the area? Is it obvious in other places like local building hardware or cars? Seems like a lot of rust would have to come from a salty environment. How long as this trailer sat on the lot? Are there other trailers there that also show rust?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Considering the timing, I’d say it was transported to the dealer in Feb/Mar, most likely had salt on the roads and the dealer didn’t do a good/quick enough job of cleaning it when it arrived. Normal, no…does it happen, in the above scenario, yes.

You can look at the manufacture date on the sticker on the left side. That’ll give you a good idea of when it was shipped.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Do you know when the trailer was made or when the dealer received it? Maybe they brought it down to the dealer from up north when the roads were salted then no one at the dealership washed it down? That's an off the cuff thought. I spend 5-6mos. a year in FL right next to the Gulf. Lots of rain and tons of whatever it is that comes in the air (salt?) that settles on everything including the exterior. The only light rust we accumulated was on the MorRyde folding steps, some on the gas line and little spots here and there which I remove and paint over. Yours sounds extensive like it was doused in salt water. Your old trailer sounds like (probably) what ours looks like from sitting out there - which is nothing like what your new trailer sounds like.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

I personally would buy stainless steel fasteners and give them to the crew who will remove the rusty old ones and install the new. Dealership will just use similar to what was used during construction of the trailer (zinc plated) which tend to rust after awhile. I am guessing Florida is a primo location for rusting.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I personally would buy stainless steel fasteners and give them to the crew who will remove the rusty old ones and install the new. Dealership will just use similar to what was used during construction of the trailer (zinc plated) which tend to rust after awhile. I am guessing Florida is a primo location for rusting.
If it’s on the j wrap (skirting) replace them with stainless screws with nylon lock nuts. The machine screws just vibrate out because the metal is too thin to hold them. Did that to mine 7 years ago, haven’t had to tighten a screw since.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just the opposite. Northern states with road salt will have the most rust. My truck just had it's eighteenth birthday and has no rust. We were 1/2 mile from ocean up north and a few miles from Gulf down south but being "Snow birds" we avoided the salted roads and that nasty white "STUFF". YMMV, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #8
HouseMouse

"If" it were me, I would walk on the deal. Rust is and will form everywhere. It's pretty much a loosing battle.
HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:37 AM   #9
stlrswvu

Thank you everyone. The camper was manufactured on 03/22. The dealership submitted a warranty claim and Keystone denied. I spoke with the Keystone warranty department and they stated the reason they denied was because it was not identified during the dealer acceptance form when they were delivered the camper. They sated if it was identified they would have approved immediately. So, in their mind it occurred after delivery. Yes, in FL could see some rust, but not to the level it is rusted in that short period of time. Like I said, I had my previous camper stored outside (close to where dealership) is located and just very minor surface rust in a few areas. However, the dealership has acknowledged and will be replacing all of the parts I have identified.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

You stated "you bought" so I'm guessing it's a done deal. There's surface rust like found on black iron gas pipe that's normal and then there's corrosion. Corrosion never stops on it's own and will continue to progress until it dissolves the metal. I understand why Keystone won't warrant it because the unit has been out of their control for 5 months. They have no way of knowing what has happened in that time.

While the dealer may be rectifying a couple of screws to get it sold what happens a year or two from now? While the dealer might spray paint over the rust in the places where you can see it's where you can't see would concern me. Owning a trailer as described would require close monitoring of the frame, brakes, etc. and immediate rust abatement if items like spring hangers, axle u bolts, etc. show progression of corrosion.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #11
stlrswvu

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You stated "you bought" so I'm guessing it's a done deal. There's surface rust like found on black iron gas pipe that's normal and then there's corrosion. Corrosion never stops on it's own and will continue to progress until it dissolves the metal. I understand why Keystone won't warrant it because the unit has been out of their control for 5 months. They have no way of knowing what has happened in that time.

While the dealer may be rectifying a couple of screws to get it sold what happens a year or two from now? While the dealer might spray paint over the rust in the places where you can see it's where you can't see would concern me. Owning a trailer as described would require close monitoring of the frame, brakes, etc. and immediate rust abatement if items like spring hangers, axle u bolts, etc. show progression of corrosion.
I agree 100%. They are actually replacing springs and associated components as well.