Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #1

Refrigerator issues

Have 2021 Keystone Springdale 220RD bought new. it stays in our barn when not in use with a BatteryTender connected to the 12v battery.
Recently there was a power failure that allowed the 12v battery to completely discharge. Power was restored to the BatteryTender, however the battery will not fully charge due to the fact that the refrigerator will not stay turned off!

The fan in the refrigerator runs constantly. turning the unit off in the usual way only works briefly, then the unit re-starts all by itsself. I tried pulling the fuse to the unit and replacing it thinking it might re-set, but the issue still remains, It won't stay turned off!

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

"You become a part of it, then it becomes a part of YOU"
305940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
bsmith0404

That’s an interesting problem. I’ve seen where a reset was required to get the fridge to turn on after the battery died, never seen this happen. Maybe someone else will have seen this and give you a better answer. Different models have different ways to reset them. Posting the brand and model number of your fridge will help

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #3
JShort880

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305940 View Post
Have 2021 Keystone Springdale 220RD bought new. it stays in our barn when not in use with a BatteryTender connected to the 12v battery.
Recently there was a power failure that allowed the 12v battery to completely discharge. Power was restored to the BatteryTender, however the battery will not fully charge due to the fact that the refrigerator will not stay turned off!

The fan in the refrigerator runs constantly. turning the unit off in the usual way only works briefly, then the unit re-starts all by itsself. I tried pulling the fuse to the unit and replacing it thinking it might re-set, but the issue still remains, It won't stay turned off!

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
What's the spec on your fridge. I'd start by pulling the pdf and reading through it. Here is the manual for my fridge https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...6B_SM_2118.pdf and you it has multiple troubleshooting guides included.

Your might let you know how to hard reset the fridge. If you post your model etc I'll take a look through it.
2021 Ford F450
JShort880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:04 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Without knowing the brand and model of fridge, its impossible to guess. Is it an RV style, Residential style, or maybe even a newer 12V style?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's the link to the Everchill 10.7 cuft 12 volt refrigerator used in the 2022 Springdale trailer line. https://primetimerv.com/pdf/117021/W...DC_User_Manual

Reading through the manual, it looks very much like the "no repairs just replace" type of appliance, similar to the electric fireplace/heaters that have been showing up in trailers.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the owner's manual. Here's an example of the "quality of their tech writers"....

If you're not savy enough to disconnect the 12 volt input to the refrigerator (probably behind the appliance and hard to get to), then I would completely remove power from the trailer (both shore power and by disconnecting the battery, let it sit "unpowered" for about 10 or 15 minutes, then reconnect shore power, followed by reconnecting the battery (IN THIS ORDER)... Why? If the battery is not fully charged, connecting it first "MAY" (not will) cause a low voltage condition that might trigger the same malfunction that you current have. Plugging in the trailer will provide the 13.6 VDC produced by the converter which would eliminate the possiblity of a low battery charge affecting the refrigerator as it powers up.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	everchill manual example.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	41130  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote