Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2022, 03:00 AM   #1
RickV

Do tires actually just Blow Up?

Like the title says do tires just blow up or is it just the end result of loss of air due to a leak or delamination? I have had tires "blow up" twice since we started RVing about 12 years ago. The first one did minimal damage about 4 years ago. The latest one did quite a bit more https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=50721 I have had the same TPMS system on both rigs and while it has alerted me to slow leaks on other occasions it didn't on these two until well after the "blow up" occurred. I have the TireTraker TT-400 and it does not do real time monitoring and I am exploring getting a new system. So I have been researching different brands and models of TPMS, TireTraker has a newer model the TT-600 but a call to their tech dept basically said that while it updates more often it still is not real time. So the bottom line is if blow ups just happen could any TPMS alert me in real time so I could avoid some of the damage?

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:10 AM   #2
notanlines

Yes, tires do actually just 'blow up.' Probably not the most common occurrence, but if you hear the loud POP then it just 'blew up," and no TPMS will help you out unless it was due to extreme temperatures.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:59 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

On our current camper, a 2002, the spare "just blew up". Can't recall brand but it was an off brand I am sure. First developed a large bump where the cords on the inside separated and it BLEW. Tire chunks all over the parking spot.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:11 AM   #4
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yes, tires do actually just 'blow up.' Probably not the most common occurrence, but if you hear the loud POP then it just 'blew up," and no TPMS will help you out unless it was due to extreme temperatures.
When it happened 4 years ago I heard it, got stopped as fast as I could, probably why there was minimal damage. This time I didn't even know it was blown 5ver was still rolling fine, just about the time I noticed the fender skirt flapping in my mirror someone driving past me was pointing so I knew what had happened.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-10-2022, 04:23 AM   #5
Badbart56

We had returned from a weekend at Lake Seminole with our Fusion a few months after we got it and it had been parked in the yard for two weeks. I was outside doing something that Saturday morning and was about 50 yards from it when one of the six Goodyear Marathons blew out.

With my law enforcement background I immediately found myself on the ground thinking someone had taken a shot at me. And while I was relieved that no one was actually shooting at me I wasn't thrilled with the idea of having to replace six tires on the RV once I determined what had happened. But when I took it to the tire store they found that the Goodyear's tread was separating on two other tires as well. That's when I went with the Super Cargo's. A much better, heavier duty tire. No problems since then.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:39 AM   #6
rhagfo

The issue with "real time" monitoring is device battery life.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:39 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Just went through and replaced all my batteries on the sensors before my trip a few weeks ago..also my remote monitor has a built in battery..coming home I glanced over and it was blank…had to have DW quickly find the charge cable and plug in to usb…took about 5 long min for it to synch with all the sensors…won’t make that mistake again
Old 04-10-2022, 05:40 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
My TST 507 is going on year 3 with original batteries. We haven't gone anywhere yet other than getting the tires replaced about 12 miles away. I'll replace them before our first trip but typically I do that every spring. I buy the very common button cells on Amazon for less than $2 each on a card of a 8 or 10.

I also replace all batteries in the spring, just good practice IMHO. I remove all batteries (remotes, sensors,etc.) in the fall and throw them in a jar at the house. Put in fresh in the camper AND I have new spares in the camper as well. Use the spares, replace them with new spares, typicall shelf life is several years. I've found that much easier and more economical than "a trip to town in search of a $1.50 battery that'll cost $6 at some pharmacy.

Just my experience, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:40 AM   #9
RickV

Is anyone using this system and if so are you happy with it?

TireMinder i10 RV TPMS with 4 Transmitters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 04-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #10
KJLarson

I've had TireMinder TPMS for a few years now. Great service when I had a sender stop working, they sent a replacement and return label postage prepaid.

As to blowing up, could be age or incorrect inflation; both under and over inflation can cause tire failure. I see most people don't know the correct PSI for their RV. It is NOT the psi printed on the sidewall, that's the max psi the tire is designed to hold. At sidewall psi tires can be over inflated and thus can prematurely fail. Over inflation will result in less tread on the roadway which is a safety issue. The correct psi is usually less than what is printed on the sidewall and is based upon the weight each tire is supporting; go to the mfg's website and look for the inflation table for your tires.

As an example: our TT weights about 5300 lbs fully loaded out, we have Goodyear Endurance tires, each tire is supporting 1,325 lbs (5300/4). According to the inflation chart for these tires my correct inflation is between 30-40 psi, much lower than the sidewall 65 psi. I keep the tires at 40 psi since the inflation chart says to use the next higher psi. This keeps the max tread width on the road surface and per Goodyear will provide the best tire wear. It's unfortunate that tire dealers are not educated about this or if they know it they don't tell the buyer about the correct tire pressure. I keep a copy of Goodyears inflation chart in the TT to prove my point when I stop to have the tire psi checked and adjusted.

In over 30 years of RVing I have never had a tire fail or blow out and since I boondock most of the time the tires are subjected to very rough treatment.
KJLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #11
notanlines

There will be a tire pressure/size chart on the front, road side of the RV. Best to follow accordingly, not some campfire chatter started by a guy who says “This is what I do….”
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:00 AM   #12
KJLarson

For class A's, B's, etc Notanlines is correct; follow the recommendation on the sticker. However, for 5er's and TT you need to determine the correct psi following what the tire mfg recommends as 5er's and TT don't have such information and as stated the correct psi is based upon weight on each tire which can vary depending on how the RV is loaded. Which brings up an additional recommendation and that is to take the RV when fully loaded to a commercial scale and have it weighed to determine the correct tire weight.
KJLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:16 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLarson View Post
For class A's, B's, etc Notanlines is correct; follow the recommendation on the sticker. However, for 5er's and TT you need to determine the correct psi following what the tire mfg recommends as 5er's and TT don't have such information and as stated the correct psi is based upon weight on each tire which can vary depending on how the RV is loaded. Which brings up an additional recommendation and that is to take the RV when fully loaded to a commercial scale and have it weighed to determine the correct tire weight.
This absolutly backwards! Trailer manufacturers incompliance with RIVA attach a placard with tire size and inflation pressures that are the MINIMUM approved for that trailer. Motorized RVs, particularly large claa A's also have the same standards but it's common for each corner to be weighed and pressure adjusted according to load. However, NEVER deflate below the MINIMUM requirement. Trailer tire psi is not adjusted that way because they are not steer and drive axles.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
I've had TireMinder TPMS for a few years now. Great service when I had a sender stop working, they sent a replacement and return label postage prepaid.

As to blowing up, could be age or incorrect inflation; both under and over inflation can cause tire failure. I see most people don't know the correct PSI for their RV. It is NOT the psi printed on the sidewall, that's the max psi the tire is designed to hold. At sidewall psi tires can be over inflated and thus can prematurely fail. Over inflation will result in less tread on the roadway which is a safety issue. The correct psi is usually less than what is printed on the sidewall and is based upon the weight each tire is supporting; go to the mfg's website and look for the inflation table for your tires.

As an example: our TT weights about 5300 lbs fully loaded out, we have Goodyear Endurance tires, each tire is supporting 1,325 lbs (5300/4). According to the inflation chart for these tires my correct inflation is between 30-40 psi, much lower than the sidewall 65 psi. I keep the tires at 40 psi since the inflation chart says to use the next higher psi. This keeps the max tread width on the road surface and per Goodyear will provide the best tire wear. It's unfortunate that tire dealers are not educated about this or if they know it they don't tell the buyer about the correct tire pressure. I keep a copy of Goodyears inflation chart in the TT to prove my point when I stop to have the tire psi checked and adjusted.

In over 30 years of RVing I have never had a tire fail or blow out and since I boondock most of the time the tires are subjected to very rough treatment.
NOPE!
That sidewall pressure is what that tire should be inflated to to carry the max load that tire is rated for, not the max that tire can handle.
If your running 40 psi in a tire rated for 1325lbs at 65 psi that tire is extremely under inflated.
You can, apparently do, s you see fit, but for others reading this inflate your tires, whether motorhome or towable, to the recommended pressures posted on the placard on each rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #15
RollaMo

Quote:
For class A's, B's, etc Notanlines is correct; follow the recommendation on the sticker. However, for 5er's and TT you need to determine the correct psi following what the tire mfg recommends as 5er's and TT don't have such information
Not sure how long they have been doing this, but 5er's and TT do have such a sticker on the side, just as notanlines posted.

Picture of the sticker on my 5th wheel. Our previous Jayco also had a sticker in the same location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	39199  
Old 04-12-2022, 05:27 AM   #16
Mic

tempature ?

so if one runs the correct air pressure
and under the rated speed

and have TPM

what is the normal tire temp increase over ambient temp one can expect?

or what is the danger zone temperature for tires ??
Old 04-12-2022, 05:57 AM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post

and have TPM

Just my opinion... but I don't pay much attention to the temperature as reported by my TPMS.. I've found it to be more a product of direct sunlight than the temp of the air inside the tire.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:32 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post

and have TPM

As far as I know there's not an "Oh S##t" temperature to watch for, but rather one that seems extremely higher than the others. Same with the pressures, once tires start heating up the pressures won't be the same on any of the tires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #19
Northofu1

I've been beside a tractor trailer when a tire blew in summer time on a major highway, it's so loud its concussive on the size and pressure of tire. Scared the crap out of me.
If you were standing beside that, you would most likely not survived it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I've been beside a tractor trailer when a tire blew in summer time on a major highway, it's so loud its concussive on the size and pressure of tire. Scared the crap out of me.
If you were standing beside that, you would most likely not survived it.
It's a "very un-nerving situation" to be on a motorcycle, "chest high with 18 wheeler tires" as you pass them. Hearing the warble of a deflated tire or worse, seeing the tread separated, but not yet detached is even more "eye opening"... In a car or truck, you've got some bulk between you and that tire. On a cycle, it's jeans and a plastic helmet wtih a face screen.....

Tires, things that so many people view as "inert, inanimate objects" have a way of getting your complete attention if/when they decide to explode.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires