Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #1
Evanardell

Headache in Trailer

Hello all,

Just purchased a 2019 Outback 210URS for our family. All is great with the trailer but my wife develops strong headaches whenever she is in it for an extended period. So its basically a lead weight till we can figure out what is causing it. My wife is very sensitive to fragrance or mold. I have zero issues in it.

So far we have ventilated the hell out of it, followed the "bake out" method twice and no success. I got a VOC/Formaldehyde air detector and the levels in the trailer are great.

Next step were going to do a mold test, but my gut tells me that's not the issue. Roof seems to be in good shape and even the wife doesn't think that's it. It was stored outdoors with the previous owner but only used a few times.

We might shellac some of the wood to seal in any VOCs from off gassing. Also noticed the bottom of the toilet leaks a bit so concerned about the black water fumes.

Other than that were basically at a loss right now. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

Thanks!
Evanardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #2
bobbecky

Some people are very sensitive to the chemical they use to odorize propane. Possibly this is a problem. You don’t need to have a leak, but the oil can remain in the stove burners even when turned off.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:49 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

You definitely need to get the toilet leak fixed. Closed up trailers an build up a formaldehyde smell from the glue and materials. It can take a long, long time to get it aired out. If you don’t have roof vent covers get them and keep the roof vents open to keep air moving. Have you thought about getting an air ionizer? A real one isn't cheap but they are effective.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:34 PM   #4
jasin1

Might want to try a portable air purifier air filter. Hepa unit with uv possibly.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:40 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Beware of leaks around the toilet, there could easily be mold and rot under there that is not readily obvious. I had a “small” leak and ended up tearing out and replacing the entire bathroom floor. You could try the mold tests available at places like Home Depot or a local IAQ expert.

Also, like Jasin said, a good quality air purifier will help (we have an Advanced Pure Air 7-way air cleaner that we set up for a week in the camper every spring when we take it out of storage).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:23 AM   #6
skids

Foam mattresses can off-gas formaldehyde.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:16 AM   #7
Evanardell

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. We have an air purifier and going to continue to air out this week. Other 3 items I'm focusing on:

-Upgrading the bath exhaust fan
-Removing toilet and re-sealing/checking for leak damage
-Sealing all un-sealed wood

Hopefully taking care of these items, washing all of the bedding/blinds will get it more under control. Would like to just get some organic cotton/wool cushions and replace the mattresses but i don't think they are the main source right now.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
Maineiacs

Have you measured for carbon monoxide? For a sensitive person, even minor levels could cause issues. And the suggestion to replace your mattress might be a good one. Most mattresses and cushions are made of some type of foam - which is hydrocarbon based - and they off-gas for their entire life.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:01 AM   #9
notanlines

Yep, true enough.

"Some memory foam mattresses contain toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde, benzene, and naphthalene. Memory foam may contain isocyanates, which, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, can cause irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin."

"Flame retardants, formaldehyde, and benzene have been found in6 mattresses and can be linked to health issues such as cancer, infertility, and developmental brain disorders. If your mattress is off-gassing harmful chemicals, you're breathing in those toxins for hours every night."

Ref: www.webmd.com and their references
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:16 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Is it possible your wife is just stressing internally whenever she enters the camper and the longer she spends time there, the more her stress level increased? Stress does weird things to people and a headache could be her result.

Sometimes, things appear good and wonderful on the outside, but internal there is a lot of anxiety. Maybe subconsciously she thinks about the cost of the camper, or towing the camper, or loosing her privacy in the camper, or maybe she secretly just doesn't like it all, maybe not into "camping", maybe has hesitations about leaving her home behind while on the road, or any other things that could be stressing her out, thus causing the headaches, the longer she's inside.

It just a suggestion. If this is the cause, then the two of you will just need to work your way through her concerns. Never, ever just assume your "other half" is in agreement with everything you think is in agreement. Women have much different concerns than men do, and if a woman's sense of security is threatened (real or imagined) it can cause profound stress on them.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Black tank deodorizers give me a headache so we stopped using them. No problem, our poop don't stink.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:34 AM   #12
Evanardell

Don't know how it took me this long to think of it but should probably check all P traps as it has been in storage all winter
Old 04-05-2022, 05:40 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanardell View Post
Don't know how it took me this long to think of it but should probably check all P traps as it has been in storage all winter
If you have not de-winterized the trailer then yes, by all means run some water or RV antifreeze down the drains. P- traps can dry out but in my experience Hepvo valves are the worst offender. They have a bladder inside that opens to let water flow thru and a little debris can hold it open.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:05 AM   #14
Scttw

Another option is the purchase a Dyson Cool air Filter fan. Hepa. Not cheap but filter 99.97% of all pollutants and Allergens. Sometimes when it's hard to tell what's bothering people it's best to remove it from air instead of looking for the cause.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:33 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
Another option is the purchase a Dyson Cool air Filter fan. Hepa. Not cheap but filter 99.97% of all pollutants and Allergens. Sometimes when it's hard to tell what's bothering people it's best to remove it from air instead of looking for the cause.
Logically, if you find the cause and correct it then you won't need to treat it. Sometimes if severe enough the only "treatment" is to get rid of it.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:45 AM   #16
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Logically, if you find the cause and correct it then you won't need to treat it. Sometimes if severe enough the only "treatment" is to get rid of it.
Yeah, I get that - but that only works if you know what's causing it. Could be carpet - walls, or even if they have never camped before, the extra allergy crap to deal with like my wife does. At least sleeping for 8 hours a night you won't have them. Allegra for the outside
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 04-05-2022, 09:40 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Dyson is kind of proud of those things... saw it for $699. Must be a great product. Here in the Hill Country when cedar pollen is flowing (looks like the trees are smoking) it would be helpful as I am not really allergic but can really feel that pollen. All the other stuff that blooms in spring is cranking out allergens right now and the missus has to take Allegra almost every day. Most of this stuff doesn't bother me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, I get that - but that only works if you know what's causing it. Could be carpet - walls, or even if they have never camped before, the extra allergy crap to deal with like my wife does. At least sleeping for 8 hours a night you won't have them. Allegra for the outside
Understand, my point was for someone reading thru this thread to noy just accept the condition without first seeing if the issue can be eliminated. In this case, the op later on in the thread recalled the possibility of the drains being dried out.

I have a very bad reaction to the formaldehyde myself. There were some trailers we've walked into at shows and dealers where I walked in, choked up and walked back out immediately. When we bought our current unit it was there but not to a "can't breath" level. A couple of days opened up with fans running and running a Quality air cleaner with hepa and ionization for about a month cured ours.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #19
Scttw

^^^^ I completely agree .....
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 04-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #20
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
(snip)
I have a very bad reaction to the formaldehyde myself. There were some trailers we've walked into at shows and dealers where I walked in, choked up and walked back out immediately. When we bought our current unit it was there but not to a "can't breath" level. A couple of days opened up with fans running and running a Quality air cleaner with hepa and ionization for about a month cured ours.
The rate of off-gassing will increase with warmer temperatures and the “getting rid of the problem” should be more thorough. It is true that some people are more sensitive to formaldehyde gas and to isocyanates. In fact the sensitivities can increase as exposure histories increase.