Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 04:06 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
As a newbie, first TT Nov. '20, the information here has been invaluable. I look at new members and new posts most days at lunch but as for posting much, it does appear there is a fraternity here and maybe new members might feel a bit on the "outside". Also, hard to contribute much when others have so much more knowledge to contribute.

I agree there is a fraternity here, BUT, it includes all members. There is no exclusion of anyone or cliches, just a bunch of folks that love RVs and want everyone to have as much fun as possible. At the same time we all wish and hope that we can help anyone that has problems or questions.

As far as any member not feeling comfortable posting due to lack of experience - post away. Many have been there and done that but every single one of them has not experienced all situations and problems so your situation, or what you've learned, could very well be brand new to a member or many members. Another thing to consider is what Hank mentioned; all those "old timers" (me included) that have btdt on so many things haven't btdt on lots of other things. The newer technologies coming on requires the newer folks buying them to offer input and solutions. Case in point; InCommand. I refused to buy a trailer with it, others love it. Because I don't want it doesn't mean I'm not interested in it (along with solar) and like to read/learn from those doing it.

Bottom line is everyone regardless of their RVing experience has something to offer....maybe even a recipe!! As the new ones now learn and become solidified members of the fraternity they will then be sharing that knowledge with those that come after them - a fine place to be.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

I would hope any and all members would feel comfortable in posting. Notice I didn’t say annsewing but commenting, asking additional questions and yes challenging a post that's obviously incorrect ( like the "I get 35 mpg pulling my 17K trailer in the Rockies with my Tundra" claim. Answering is great and no one knows everything. Without folks sharing their experiences and opinions the forum would get stale fast. We can agree or disagree and it's all good as long as it's done respectfully. Yes you will see a group that commonly "jump on an issue and proffer answers" but it's out of an eagerness to help.

EVERYONE'S input is valued and not just welcomed but rather necessary for the sucess of this forum.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #23
LnS

not missing any longer, I found myself
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnS View Post
not missing any longer, I found myself
Was wondering where you'd been hiding... Until today's posts, Halloween was the last time you've put "keyboard to thread"... Welcome back !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:49 PM   #25
LnS

here often but just lurking, learning from the collective.
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #26
Jake's Keystone

congrats on getting married!

From East of Toronto!
Jake's Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:29 AM   #27
revrusty

I appreciate the comments welcoming the less knowledgeable like me to comment more often. Careful, you might just get what you asked for!!!
Just for that I am starting a new thread about campground bathrooms.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:10 AM   #28
Skillet173

This forum is an invaluable resource for me and I very much appreciate those with the knowledge to make it so. Haven’t been here that long since I only purchased my Fuzion in November and still have NO TRUCK to pull it with. All good though, with temps on both side of zero and snow blanketing the ground the trailer can just rest in barn!
Beware though, I’m sure after a few shakedown trips I’ll be asking lots of questions!

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:50 AM   #29
jxnbbl

Smile

Having owned a trailer for a little over 18 months and being a DIYer (on steroids)...I've found this forum so valuable since there are these nuances about trailers, internal systems that are different than a house...just with a little bit more information you can figure it out and/or leverage other peoples mistakes (read learning experience) to make your future trips smoother/easier.

On the flip side of this I've had relatives/friends that fit the mold of "just call someone" when there is a problem, demand instant turn around, etc...that look at our past year and say they want to purchase a trailer attach it to their suv and vacation. I start with you need a new vehicle and it really is more of an 'adventure' than a 'vacation'. Then send them the link to this forum with the recommendation to take a gander at some of the posts...to see if they are interested after putting themselves in the position of the original poster. They get the picture pretty quick or they say - well we are going to buy a new trailer so this will not happen.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Having owned a trailer for a little over 18 months and being a DIYer (on steroids)...I've found this forum so valuable since there are these nuances about trailers, internal systems that are different than a house...just with a little bit more information you can figure it out and/or leverage other peoples mistakes (read learning experience) to make your future trips smoother/easier.

On the flip side of this I've had relatives/friends that fit the mold of "just call someone" when there is a problem, demand instant turn around, etc...that look at our past year and say they want to purchase a trailer attach it to their suv and vacation. I start with you need a new vehicle and it really is more of an 'adventure' than a 'vacation'. Then send them the link to this forum with the recommendation to take a gander at some of the posts...to see if they are interested after putting themselves in the position of the original poster. They get the picture pretty quick or they say - well we are going to buy a new trailer so this will not happen. :)
I heard your chuckle "way over here" after they made the comment in red.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-26-2022, 07:43 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

I think telling someone to "fix it themself" vs paying to have it fixed needs to be taken into context. There are some factors that need to be considered with the issue at hand and the capability of the owner the primary considerations. The more sophisticated the system and less experienced the person attempting the repair the greater the chances are for doing more damage.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #32
Texas Steve

I am like some on this forum who read a lot of posts to gather the knowledge of owning and operating an RV. I am grateful for the wisdom and experience offered on this forum by more seasoned veterans. I like to read of some of the troubles people have with their rigs and how to resolve the problems, then apply it to my rig. I will read a post and go to my TT and look at that item to see if there is a problem, check functionality, or simply put into context what was being discussed.

I thank all the seasoned veterans for their knowledge and teaching me some of the things I had no idea about (like weight calculations, hitch set-up...). I don't post a lot of reply's, but when I do, I feel like it is received well!

Thanks guys and gals for one of the best forums I have ever been a part of!!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #33
wegone

I think it's sort of a reflection of what life in the INTERNET world has become.

The social media community is hard to discern.

Example, I know folks who post stuff that is not close to who they are in real life.

I think many just have a need, try and fill it, and then just disappear into their next phase or matter in life.

I am just as guilty as the next guy, I'll "you tube" a "how to fix" video that someone took the time to make, and share, glean what I need to know, and be gone.

I think its just the nature of it.
You have a issue, you search out help, fix it, move on.

Kind of our disposable mentality today....????
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #34
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think telling someone to "fix it themself" vs paying to have it fixed needs to be taken into context. There are some factors that need to be considered with the issue at hand and the capability of the owner the primary considerations. The more sophisticated the system and less experienced the person attempting the repair the greater the chances are for doing more damage.

Flybouy, totally agree. Actually I'm not telling them to fix it themselves I'm showing them examples of people that purchase new units and have problems...simple to (more) complex problems. I guess their expectation is that the quality, service interval, maintenance is similar to a car/truck/boat. IMO they are vastly different.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Flybouy, totally agree. Actually I'm not telling them to fix it themselves I'm showing them examples of people that purchase new units and have problems...simple to (more) complex problems. I guess their expectation is that the quality, service interval, maintenance is similar to a car/truck/boat. IMO they are vastly different.
My statement was a generalization and not aimed at anyone. I've seen posts where some folks imply that "it's so easy anyone can do it". It's easy when an individual can do things effortlessly to think others can as well. I've seen folks that can't figure out how to tie thier shoes. We all have different abilities, that's all I'm saying.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:23 PM   #36
twstdpear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My statement was a generalization and not aimed at anyone. I've seen posts where some folks imply that "it's so easy anyone can do it". It's easy when an individual can do things effortlessly to think others can as well. I've seen folks that can't figure out how to tie thier shoes. We all have different abilities, that's all I'm saying.

Agreed. It’s called the Dunning-Kruger effect. The short version is those that have no exposure to a topic/skill think everything is easy and tend to overestimate their abilities. It’s only once you start learning that you realize exactly how much you don’t know. It’s also exhibited in reverse - those that are experts forget how much time and effort they spent to get where they are.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:41 AM   #37
notanlines

Twisted, I haven't heard that term in many years. But I can still remember our instructor at Memphis State (Yes, now U of M) used the example of an owner of a small diner. His or her job entails cooking, waiting tables, paying bills, scheduling, on and on and on. Yet, on the surface, most of us think anybody could do that, it just seems so simple.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:13 AM   #38
wiredgeorge

Folks from different generations approach problem solving (repairs and such) differently. Before the explosion of information such as this forum and youtube, folks who didn't have the means to pay someone to work on what they owned figured things out. They used their God given brains and an owners manual if available to get a picture of what needed to be done. They made mistakes and screwed things up and moved on and righted their course. Ain't that way anymore. The current generation lacks fundamental skills that allow them to turn a wrench or use a multimeter. Sign of the time and it reflects the educational path most take these days.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:01 AM   #39
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Folks from different generations approach problem solving (repairs and such) differently. Before the explosion of information such as this forum and youtube, folks who didn't have the means to pay someone to work on what they owned figured things out. They used their God given brains and an owners manual if available to get a picture of what needed to be done. They made mistakes and screwed things up and moved on and righted their course. Ain't that way anymore. The current generation lacks fundamental skills that allow them to turn a wrench or use a multimeter. Sign of the time and it reflects the educational path most take these days.
Another approach I found is find a friend/neighbor with some knowledge in the subject. Then reciprocate with what you know/do. I have learned volumes from friends and neighbors and returned the favors either in-kind (electrical work, roofing, building sheds, lawn mower repairs) or with fresh caught fish, venison or garden veggies. You tube can be very helpful, this forum has been invaluable, but working with friends or neighbors has its own rewards.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:01 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Does anybody remember the "back couple of pages" in every vehicle owner's manual from years ago??? The pages where you could order "factory repair manuals" for the vehicle directly from the manufacturer? They cost somewhere around $50 for a complete set. I always bought them with every new car purchase, put them in 3 ring binders and after the 12 month/12000 mile warranty, if I had "car problems", even if I didn't intend to fix it myself, I'd use those manuals to help me determine if the mechanic was being honest and if he "sort of was on the right track" with what he was telling me...

Then there was the "Haynes repair manual" books that are still sold in most Auto Zone and O-Reilley's stores. They're available "in print or disc" versions and cover most of the "mechanical systems" on vehicles...

Used to be, as George was saying, we'd rely on books, do some reading, ask the neighbor, but a 6-pack and park the truck under the shade tree and go to work... Now, with computer controlled systems, there aren't any points, no carb adjustment screws, no timing lights and no "JC Whitney engine analyzer" on the shelf in most people's tool box....

Times have changed, but most of the information is still available, but most of us are "too busy to look for it" or "found a You-Tube video that'll work for now"....

Haynes Repair Manuals are still available: https://haynes.com/en-us/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS