Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #1
Vandikar1

Angry Did I just get a Lemon?

I just got a Keystone hide out 174 3 weeks ago. I've slid the slide out a grand total of 5 times, More likely 4, and tonight I tried to extend the slide out to access a drawer under the table and one side wanted to slide, the other side didn't move at all.

I called the number for my "warrantee" place and they said you need to find the "black controller box" I searched every square inch of the damn thing. took down every panel pulled out ever drawer. Nothing.

If its actually under the slide out, there is no way to access that area with the slide out, retracted.

Anyone got any guesses? Just dumped thousands into the trailer and 10's of thousands buying this thing. Feeling I got taken.
Vandikar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:22 PM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! Working out a few bugs at the beginning is very normal and initial frustration is also common. You just expect that kind of expenditure to come trouble-free. I wish that were true. Hang in there. There's always an adjustment period with a new trailer...we've all been there. Really, we all have. Work out the initial kinks and enjoy your trailer. We love ours even though there were some bumps right off the bat.

This is the perfect time to start to learn all about your new purchase and how everything works. Knowing how to fix stuff will save you lots of time and grief. There's a way to manually slide out that slide...the way will depend on what kind you've got.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:40 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
What type of slide mechanism is it? If it’s a Schwintek, then it’s possible you simply got it “out of time”.
Schwintek slides do not like being stopped without a complete movement, so try this: with the slide fully retracted, press the extend button for 3 seconds, then press and hold the retract button until the humming STOPS. Repeat 2 times, then hold the extend for 5 seconds, retract until the humming stops.

At this point the room should be re timed, Post the results.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:56 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. You state that you were extending the slide to get to a drawer and have only used the slide a few times. Sounds to me like the camper is in storage? If this is the case and the unit isn't plugged in then the battery is likely dead. Give us some more info, is this camper new as in a 2022 or is it new to you? Are you camping or is is the trailer in storage?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:42 AM   #5
Vandikar1

Trailer is plugged in to power and one side does move. The other side does not.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:55 AM   #6
Scttw

Follow Chucks advice. He's one of the smartest guys here!
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #7
Vandikar1

No effect

The trailer is a 2022 Keystone hideout. It was new from the store. No previous owners. Parked and level on my front driveway, running of AC power. It does have a schwintek track, at least thats one the guy on the phone I spoke to last night said.

I tried the 2 seconds out, go back to fully retracted, repeat, then 5 seconds out, back, repeat. 3 times. No effect there.

It sounds like its trying to turn, so I dont believe power is an issue. It simply does not move.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:29 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok, your controller will be on the floor behind a panel. Have you taken the breaker/fuse panel out? When you find it, it will flash the trouble code. Post back and we’ll go from there. I would suspect it’s just the side of the slide.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #9
Vandikar1

No access to the controller

Whoever built this thing didn't factor on that. The controller, if I'm right, is in a wooden box, behind a panel, near the same wall as the slide out. There is no way to get to that box with the slide retracted.

There is a fuse box located under the fridge, but that is not the same thing, I believe.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:04 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Schwintek controllers are almost always screws to the floor, in a space behind a removable panel or drawer. With the slide in you can see the black wires coming from the tops where the motors are. They will give you a clue where the controller is based on where they go. If you have room, you can also check to make sure the motor is plugged in and the wires aren’t chaffed.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:13 AM   #11
Vandikar1

I found the box. it was screwed it in to floor behind a drawer. naturally the only drawer I didn't pull out or panel I didn't remove looking for box

I looked up schwintech drive and they said, push the button 6 times and hold on last push for a few seconds. Then what should I do after that?
Old 01-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandikar1 View Post
I found the box. it was screwed it in to floor behind a drawer. naturally the only drawer I didn't pull out or panel I didn't remove looking for box

I looked up schwintech drive and they said, push the button 6 times and hold on last push for a few seconds. Then what should I do after that?
That puts it in “override” mode. What you need to is press “extend” and when it stops look at the LEDs in the slot. There will be a red one and a green one.

One will flash 1 or 2 times, telling you which side
The other will flash the number of the error. Error codes are printed on the label. Post back what you find.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #13
Vandikar1

Thumbs down Swintech slideout

Well, yup. Its going to need to go in. the almost unreachable black box, does work. I can get to it.

I put it into programming mode and tried to reset it by running it all the way out and then running it all the way back in. Keep in mind this done completely by "braille" as you can't actually see the box its buried in an inaccessible spot without dismantlement and I'll likely need to find a guy to move the box to just about anywhere else in the trailer. So seeing the code is not actually possible.

The motors are hopelessly out of sync and will need to go in for a repair.

Now to try and track down an RV repair tech.

28 days old. so sad.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:52 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Well, yup. Its going to need to go in. the almost unreachable black box, does work. I can get to it.

I put it into programming mode and tried to reset it by running it all the way out and then running it all the way back in. Keep in mind this done completely by "braille" as you can't actually see the box its buried in an inaccessible spot without dismantlement and I'll likely need to find a guy to move the box to just about anywhere else in the trailer. So seeing the code is not actually possible.

The motors are hopelessly out of sync and will need to go in for a repair.

Now to try and track down an RV repair tech.

28 days old. so sad.
Did you try using a mirror to read the code(s)?
You put it over ride mode if you pressed the button 6 times and held it the 7th, not “ programming” mode.

If you can use override mode to get the slide all the way one way or the other, and there isn’t any error codes, post back for instructions on re synching the motors.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:52 PM   #15
Vandikar1

Question

The Keystone video I just saw said that 6 clicks, hold 7 was the programming mode. But I'll give your way a shot. I really dont want to try and chase down a repair guy.

I'll try in the AM.

Yes, I can get a mirror back in there and see the blinks, after I get to the end of the 2 minute window. However, I can't get light, mirror, and camera back in there to see the base of the box and find out what the blink code means.

It would have been far easier, had it the reverse, and been hard to get in. Then the box and codes could have been accessed with far less trouble. However, the danger of it being unable to be retracted could have been significantly more problematic.

My question still kinda stands though. Obviously this is my first rodeo with trailers. Are they all built like this, or did I just get "lucky".
Old 01-17-2022, 08:00 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
The Keystone video I just saw said that 6 clicks, hold 7 was the programming mode. But I'll give your way a shot. I really dont want to try and chase down a repair guy.

I'll try in the AM.

Yes, I can get a mirror back in there and see the blinks, after I get to the end of the 2 minute window. However, I can't get light, mirror, and camera back in there to see the base of the box and find out what the blink code means.

It would have been far easier, had it the reverse, and been hard to get in. Then the box and codes could have been accessed with far less trouble. However, the danger of it being unable to be retracted could have been significantly more problematic.

My question still kinda stands though. Obviously this is my first rodeo with trailers. Are they all built like this, or did I just get "lucky".
I’ve seen controllers that seem like they built the trailer around them. When the schwintek system works, they are extremely reliable. You have to be “Gumby” sometimes to access them. Get the code and we will figure out your next move.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:45 PM   #17
Vandikar1

What I tried today...

1). I clicked the button on the control 6 times, then held it down on the 7th till the lights rapidly flashed.
2). I ran the slide out out. then looked at the box. they stopped flashing rapidly after a minute or so.
3). I clicked the button on the control 6 times, then held it down on the 7th till the lights rapidly flashed again.
4). I ran the slide in, then out again, holding the button down till all sound ceased in both direction.
4a). Note: When I ran it back out, it made an audible "clunk" at the typical freeze point where when not in the "6 click then 7 Hold" the slide out would stop. However in this mode it pushes past that and did so in this instance as well.
5). I checked the lights. when they stopped blinking rapidly, they both blinked twice more.

Does this tell you anything? The wording on the control box does not tell me how many blinks are meaningful as near as I can tell upside down through a mirror.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #18
Wyldfire

What your controller may look like errors listed.

Rv Lippert Replacement Controller V-Sync II Assembly for in-Wall Slide-Out on RVs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LOIX79M...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:04 PM   #19
Vandikar1

So I'm getting battery drop out? Does that mean I have dead batteries? It will do this even if plugged into a 4500 watt gas generator.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:06 PM   #20
Vandikar1

perhaps I have multiple failures. I did that last roll out using only the house current adapter. Should I run the same test again using the generator and see if it give me different failure info?