Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
jasin1

Destination: Texas

I guess I should visit while there still some elbow room https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...-trucks-report
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6A3A565B-86F3-44FC-805D-56173DE0FA8A.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	37788  
Old 01-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #2
Laredo Tugger

Here's one reason for the mass exit.
RMc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0a4d04d1012b2e5423c0d18e6f35eb558b167de83b531ce4e4f8c5c62ff31df3_1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	37789  
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I know how tempting it is but the political road is not one we want to take on this.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
gearhead

I'll say this, when I had several fellow employees transferred from southern California to Houston, most of them bought high priced houses and weekend places on the river with the money they made on selling their California houses. Back in the 1980's I had a recruiter wanting me to quit and go to work for his client in southern California. I told him I don't want to pay for a comparable house. He suggested a "fixer upper. No thanks.
It ain't all peaches and cream in Texas, but it ain't bad.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

We got new neighbors last summer. They are from Brooklyn, NY. Nice folks. People were flooding in and paying cash for houses. The buyers were getting into some bidding wars and drove the prices to insane levels. Seems like it slowed down in the fall, I suspect folks thout the Covid and other insanities were over. Time will tell if we get another wave after this outbreak.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #6
jasin1

Is Galveston a nice place to go in February? Warm enough? Was gonna do Florida but might be nice to try somewhere else..is it hard finding sites?
Old 01-07-2022, 03:17 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Is Galveston a nice place to go in February? Warm enough? Was gonna do Florida but might be nice to try somewhere else..is it hard finding sites?

Some questions? What is "warm enough"? Being from Maryland I'm thinking it ought to be plenty warm but it's not Key West. I've been to Galveston a lot but not with the RV, I always stay at the San Luis resort.

What are you looking for? Anything in particular? I'm sure others have more RV experience there but there are several RV parks.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #8
jasin1

I guess I’m looking for seaside towns that stay relatively warm…60-70 daytime ..don’t have to go swimming and know I probably couldn’t that time of year …really like Florida but it’s been so hard finding places unless you book 6 months in advance..been up and down east coast but never farther west then Gatlinburg TN.

It snowed last night here and windchill is 14 deg…like to go someplace and still see boats floating in the water …thought maybe Texas

I have this vision of Texas from all the old westerns and that’s all I can see in my head…didn’t know if they have any key west style places there
Old 01-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #9
MCBadgett

Having lived on the Gulf Coast for 62+ years, you may see days of 60 to 70 degrees, but if that Norther comes down when you are here, you may see 30 to 40 degree days. Texas weather is a crap shoot. So far this year, we haven't had a week of winter. That is supposed to change tomorrow with lots of rain moving in. The saying here is, "If you don't like the weather, wait an hour". Galveston winters see more 50 degree days than 30 degree days for sure. I hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I always liked Galveston and Aransas/Port Aransas for the coastal stuff. There's other places dependent on what you like/where you want to go. IMO stay away from anything close to the Mexican border down around Brownsville etc. I like TX but I'm partial... Have you thought about the Alabama coast? Our friends love Gulf Shores State Park.

I guess I'm not aware of anything like "Key West places" on the coast of TX but I don't know everything.....only that "Key West" stuff and TX don't really go hand in hand.

Thinking of TX and western movies; down in S TX it might remind one of the battles for TX independence but as far as old westerns I'd move on up N. Palo Duro Canyon would be a good place to envision cowboy activity....well, more exactly "cavalry" activity from the cowboy/indian days. Not a bad place to kick around.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #11
jasin1

Will check out gulf shores…yeh I guess I should have said Florida keys vibe Not necessarily key west..I’m more of an islamorada type of person but I like to see key west every now and again
Old 01-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBadgett View Post
Having lived on the Gulf Coast for 62+ years, you may see days of 60 to 70 degrees, but if that Norther comes down when you are here, you may see 30 to 40 degree days. Texas weather is a crap shoot. So far this year, we haven't had a week of winter. That is supposed to change tomorrow with lots of rain moving in. The saying here is, "If you don't like the weather, wait an hour". Galveston winters see more 50 degree days than 30 degree days for sure. I hope this helps.
Thanks! I appreciate the info
Old 01-07-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Gulf Shores or Pensacola are "right next door to each other" (sort of) and there are several "on the back bay campgrounds" along the Gulf Highway... Also, Biloxi/Gulfport are "just down the road from Mobile. Anywhere along that stretch, from Pensacola to Grand Isle, LA is pretty much the same "winter weather conditions"... It's usually warm, but you always have the risk of a cold snap with frost in the mornings and cold, wet rains all day for sometimes, weeks on end.....

While it's not a "crapshoot," we've spent some "miserable, muddy weeks trying to stay warm and dry" in Gulf Shores when it was nice and sunny back home in Central Louisiana.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #14
notanlines

Our family vacationed in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach for close to 40 years. But February is not the month to plan on being there. You need to be BELOW a line
east and west of Orlando/Tampa to insure you'll be wearing shorts on your getaway. Yes, Tin Top, Hazel's Nook and Wolf Bay are restaurants that are hard to beat, but the same can be had in south Florida.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Gulf Shores or Pensacola are "right next door to each other" (sort of) and there are several "on the back bay campgrounds" along the Gulf Highway... Also, Biloxi/Gulfport are "just down the road from Mobile. Anywhere along that stretch, from Pensacola to Grand Isle, LA is pretty much the same "winter weather conditions"... It's usually warm, but you always have the risk of a cold snap with frost in the mornings and cold, wet rains all day for sometimes, weeks on end.....

While it's not a "crapshoot," we've spent some "miserable, muddy weeks trying to stay warm and dry" in Gulf Shores when it was nice and sunny back home in Central Louisiana.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Our family vacationed in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach for close to 40 years. But February is not the month to plan on being there. You need to be BELOW a line
east and west of Orlando/Tampa to insure you'll be wearing shorts on your getaway. Yes, Tin Top, Hazel's Nook and Wolf Bay are restaurants that are hard to beat, but the same can be had in south Florida.
Thanks guys …yeah I guess it’s gonna be Florida Will spend the next couple a days narrowing down the search
Old 01-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks guys …yeah I guess it’s gonna be Florida Will spend the next couple a days narrowing down the search

I think FL is probably closer for you. We stay in the FL panhandle which is not like lower FL. We have gotten maybe 2-5 nights barely below freezing over the last 9 years. For us it also does not have the "people", traffic etc. but also does not have all the "go do" perks. We like a little cooler weather, occasionally, and marvel at the folks that wear shorts year round (I wear nothing but Levis). Fishermen surround us; just had a mess of fish dropped off to me yesterday but we avoid "populated" places. Rain? It's been pretty bad in years past but this one it seems pretty non existent, but then we don't care because it's generally warm vs what we are used to up N in TX or our home in NM.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:55 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think FL is probably closer for you. We stay in the FL panhandle which is not like lower FL. We have gotten maybe 2-5 nights barely below freezing over the last 9 years. For us it also does not have the "people", traffic etc. but also does not have all the "go do" perks. We like a little cooler weather, occasionally, and marvel at the folks that wear shorts year round (I wear nothing but Levis). Fishermen surround us; just had a mess of fish dropped off to me yesterday but we avoid "populated" places. Rain? It's been pretty bad in years past but this one it seems pretty non existent, but then we don't care because it's generally warm vs what we are used to up N in TX or our home in NM.
Yep will be searching…should have booked something months ago but wasn’t sure what direction we were headed
Old 01-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #18
travelin texans

From now till the 1st of April all the popular snowbird destinations wheter it be Fla, TX, any gulf coast area or even Calif & Arizona will be booked. Unless you were the $600 million lottery winner I'd have to pass on California, everything there is too damned expensive!
Good luck!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 08:20 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
From now till the 1st of April all the popular snowbird destinations wheter it be Fla, TX, any gulf coast area or even Calif & Arizona will be booked. Unless you were the $600 million lottery winner I'd have to pass on California, everything there is too damned expensive!
Good luck!
Yep I definitely should have planned better…probably should be booking for feb 2023 right about now…. Live and learn
Old 01-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #20
Mikelff

Quote:
I guess I’m looking for seaside towns that stay relatively warm…60-70 daytime ..don’t have to go swimming and know I probably couldn’t that time of year …really like Florida but it’s been so hard finding places unless you book 6 months in advance..been up and down east coast but never farther west then Gatlinburg TN.

It snowed last night here and windchill is 14 deg…like to go someplace and still see boats floating in the water …thought maybe Texas

I have this vision of Texas from all the old westerns and that’s all I can see in my head…didn’t know if they have any key west style places there
We like the KOA on South Padre Island, Texas. Good restaurant in walking distance on the pier. Fishing charter at same pier. Great beaches. Lots to do. Typically a little warmer than Galveston, which I also like. Have stayed several times at both KOA locations. The KOA in South Padre is right on the island. Never had any issues. The pool is salt water though. Don’t remember if it is heated. Galveston KOA pool is fresh water and heated, as well as their lazy river pool. Take your pick.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote