Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #41
GHen

I agreed with above, seems like the outlet is not wired for rv plug. Since it’s in a shop could it be the welder outlet? That could be 220 also like a dryer, but a different plug configuration.

Did you try just plugging it into a 20amp outlet, probably need an adapter. That would verify that the other outlet has an issue.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:43 AM   #42
jasin1

I looked up the “couplago” brand adapters and they do make a 3 wire welder to four wire adaptor …but they seem to only be for EV/ Tesla use…they do not use a neutral wire but would otherwise look like an rv 50 amp.. I’d verify that and not use it if that’s the case …I’d still run a dedicated 50 amp to the rv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D89C0A56-658E-4504-9215-12ECCD1B76C0.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	37733   Click image for larger version

Name:	02EF3028-3F2D-43B8-8533-156CB0D50BC4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	37734   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D262ABB-C76B-4D5B-B337-CC67C1A227BE.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	37736   Click image for larger version

Name:	9DCF4BA6-159F-4B9A-80A5-77D37F46D4AA.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	37737  
Old 01-03-2022, 03:57 AM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

I think the OP needs to find a different electrician. The key question to ask a prospective electrician is "Are you familiar with wiring RV outlets. If they pause, hesitate, or ask why" then call someone else. It reads to me like the connection in the garage is a mess. Get it corrected, reconnect the trailer then have the electrician check out the trailer.

Give the listed information to any COMPETENT electrician and they should check out the RV for any possible damage. Most likely the EMS has prevented damage but have it checked while they are there as it will be less costly than calling them out again.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:04 AM   #44
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think the OP needs to find a different electrician. The key question to ask a prospective electrician is "Are you familiar with wiring RV outlets. If they pause, hesitate, or ask why" then call someone else. It reads to me like the connection in the garage is a mess. Get it corrected, reconnect the trailer then have the electrician check out the trailer.

Give the listed information to any COMPETENT electrician and they should check out the RV for any possible damage. Most likely the EMS has prevented damage but have it checked while they are there as it will be less costly than calling them out again.
I agree, thats what I recommended earlier..the op mentioned he had a couplago brand adapter and I think that is part of the problem… they seem to only make adapters for ev/Tesla charging use ….it would have two separate 120 volt but no neutral…. A rv 50 would still plug into it …the rest of the problem is not having a dedicated rv 50 amp outlet
Old 01-03-2022, 05:15 AM   #45
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I agree, thats what I recommended earlier..the op mentioned he had a couplago brand adapter and I think that is part of the problem… they seem to only make adapters for ev/Tesla charging use ….it would have two separate 120 volt but no neutral…. A rv 50 would still plug into it …the rest of the problem is not having a dedicated rv 50 amp outlet
X3
a good electrician should have no issue with this, I would find one that owns an RV.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:42 AM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

To amplify on the need for a GOOD electrician;

Fall before last came to this park and it was being revamped. The site they assigned me was a temporary one I had seen them put in when I was here before but in a different space. When I went to plug in the EMS I saw black all around the plug area so went to ask the manager what the deal was. Seems they had the ped installed temporarily as the remodel was going on by an "electrician". First guy to use it was in an older Class A 50A (I saw him come in at the time but he was further back from me). He did not have an EMS and just plugged into the outlet and all heck broke loose. They told me he had quite a bit of damage but don't know what. I let my EMS check it out before plugging in and it was OK except.....the plug was STILL upside down which put a permanent bend in my EMS cord...

I was never clear from the previous posts if you did or didn't have an EMS but if you didn't and the outlet is wired for a welder you very well may have not only incoming AC problems but downstream, in the trailer, issues now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

I was never clear from the previous posts if you did or didn't have an EMS but if you didn't and the outlet is wired for a welder you very well may have not only incoming AC problems but downstream, in the trailer, issues now.
Danny,

In post #3 the OP said he is using a SurgeGuard 44390. That's a "surge protector/line monitor" not a true EMS. https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...a-model-44390/

Hopefully, if there was an issue with the power outlet, his device identified it and his trailer wiring routed the 240 volts "split out by legs" to the separate sides of his trailer power distribution buss. If so, then hopefully his issue is the GFI circuits shutting down because of the crossed L1/neutral. If that's the case, then he shouldn't have any trailer wiring damage and things should work OK once he gets that 30 amp plug "wired properly".... Hopefully we'll get a report on what he actually has wired to that plug sometime today.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Danny,

In post #3 the OP said he is using a SurgeGuard 44390. That's a "surge protector/line monitor" not a true EMS. https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...a-model-44390/

Hopefully, if there was an issue with the power outlet, his device identified it and his trailer wiring routed the 240 volts "split out by legs" to the separate sides of his trailer power distribution buss. If so, then hopefully his issue is the GFI circuits shutting down because of the crossed L1/neutral. If that's the case, then he shouldn't have any trailer wiring damage and things should work OK once he gets that 30 amp plug "wired properly".... Hopefully we'll get a report on what he actually has wired to that plug sometime today.

Whoops! Read that yesterday but forgot today (should have re-read the posts again today I guess).

That surge protector would not have done anything to help him other than give him some LED lights to look at while it cooked the trailer. In this case hopefully the 120vac came in on the 2 hot legs of the adapter and was just split in the RV and caused no damage. It would appear that the neutral from the trailer is lost in that setup if he is wired like I think? If I were the OP I would be getting a true EMS as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Whoops! Read that yesterday but forgot today (should have re-read the posts again today I guess).

That surge protector would not have done anything to help him other than give him some LED lights to look at while it cooked the trailer. In this case hopefully the 120vac came in on the 2 hot legs of the adapter and was just split in the RV and caused no damage. It would appear that the neutral from the trailer is lost in that setup if he is wired like I think? If I were the OP I would be getting a true EMS as well.
Yep, he needs an EMS to replace that surge protector. All his 44390 will do is "blink lights while things smoke"... An EMS would shut down power as the blinking lights start to show a problem... BIG DIFFERENCE in "knowing there's a problem" and "stopping power when there's a problem"....

Anyway, I'm hoping the adapter he was using only connected one leg of 240 from the plug and the GFI circuits in the trailer shut down power to the half of the power distribution panel that was "seeing L1/neutral reversed"..

With that brand of conversion plug, as Jasin1 said, looks like it's not "RV friendly" but intended to tap a 240 plug to run a 120 welder....

So lots of "hmmmm" from me. I hope he didn't burn up half the trailer wiring !!!!! Hopefully not the situation !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #50
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiller View Post
yes that is correct. I apologize as electrical is my kryptonite . From the building, it has a 50 amp breaker. From there, it goes to a 30amp receptacle, then to a 30 - 50 amp adapter and then to the camper.
Get rid of the 30 amp receptacle, get a 50 amp receptacle in there. That'll take away the confusion. Then you can plug straight into it with a 50 amp cord.

ELECTRIC - AMAZON
ENERLITES 50 Amp Range Receptacle RV and Electric Vehicles, 3-Pole, 4 Wire (8, 6, 4 AWG Copper Only), 125/250V, 66500-BK, Black, NEMA 14-50R Outlet, $9.95
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical