Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #1
Granpa49

Atwood water heater issues

Atwood 10A-4E. For some unknown reason we had a flame out that melted part of the wiring harness in the area around the control board. I also found melted wires in the heater element relay enclosure at the rear of the unit.

I have replaced the board, wiring harness, heater element, thermal fuse and replaced the burned power wires in the relay enclosure.

I checked the new thermal fuse and the thermostat and eco for continuity and all were fine.

With the power on, the red light inside the camper located between the two on-off switches does not come on when the electric mode switch is turned on (which is a good thing).

The red light on the control board does not come on (which is a bad thing) and we have no hot water.

The fuse in the power panel is good and the breaker is not tripped.

I haven't found troubleshooting guides past this point Any suggestions as to what to test? I am sure there are nodes that should or should not have power but I don 't know where to test.
Granpa49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a few pages of troubleshooting information in this document. Maybe it'll give you some ideas on how to proceed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Atwood-Water-Heater-Service-manual.pdf (978.9 KB, 230 views)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
Granpa49

Thanks JRTJH. That document has a little more than the ones that I've read before.
Old 12-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
Granpa49

I ran the diagnostics in the attachment above and apparently the board is bad. No power is coming out now but when I installed it and connected the brown wire to the thermostat it arced. Perhaps that blew the board. The service document dosen't give instructions on checking to make sure none of the income wires are shorted or anything. I suppose I'll devise a plan of my own. I am getting the 12 VDC coming into the board via the top white wire. The red wire circuit is showing about 20 ohms to ground and the blue wire is showing about 25 ohms. The red wire circuit is passing thru the gas valve solenoid and the blue wire circuit is passing thru the light on the panel so some resistance is expected. The yellow wire circuit passes thru the relay coil and it measures about 200 ohms. There is no continuity between the brown wires and ground and there shouldn't be. All looks good except the red light on the board isn't illuminated. Also, the terminals which should have continuity within the board (according to the service manual) are both open circuits. That is leading me to think that the board is blown. I've ordered another. I would like to know that there is nothing wrong with the circuits from the camper before pugging another one in. That could get to be expensive.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
skids

There should be a small, spade type, white, 1 amp fuse on the board if yours is like mine.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater