Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
DONK BISSER

Electric brakes rewired!!!

Alright..... I'm at a loss here and I never am. I recently purchased my first RV. It is a 2007 keystone raptor 3712. I am very mechanically inclined and can figure out most anything. I bought this trailer from a private seller and noticed that my trailer brakes were not working (thought it was my truck first off). After some inspection I found that the two rear axles had no brake assembly on the drivers side. That's an easy fix. But none of the wires are working. The factory wires must have been cut and replaced somewhere. I have two sets of trailer wires under the trailer and the one with brakes is dead. Do I need to pull the belly cover off to trace the wire? How do I access the wiring in the nose?
DONK BISSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:40 AM   #2
notanlines

Donk, after reading your post I'm afraid the brakes may be just the tip of the iceberg you're up against.
An owner that would simply remove the brakes from two axles? And on the same side? I don't believe I would spend a lot of time trying to run down the original wiring for the brakes on the four wheels. It might be easier to simply rewire from the actual coupling on the front all the way to the back.
How are the running lights on the RV? Are they working properly?
You might keep in mind that a fifteen year old RV probably has most any colored wiring they had handy on the plant floor that day. Don't assume that it is wired the way 'normal' vehicles are.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
DONK BISSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Donk, after reading your post I'm afraid the brakes may be just the tip of the iceberg you're up against.
An owner that would simply remove the brakes from two axles? And on the same side? I don't believe I would spend a lot of time trying to run down the original wiring for the brakes on the four wheels. It might be easier to simply rewire from the actual coupling on the front all the way to the back.
How are the running lights on the RV? Are they working properly?
You might keep in mind that a fifteen year old RV probably has most any colored wiring they had handy on the plant floor that day. Don't assume that it is wired the way 'normal' vehicles are.
Thanks, that's what I had figured. All the lights are working properly. There seems to be two wiring harnesses. One old and one new. The old one Is dead and the new one is only the lights with no wire for the brakes. I could just run a single wire for the brakes and be done. Thanks again
Old 12-17-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Jim. Start at the junction box where the 7 pin umbilical connects with the trailer wiring on the pinbox. Install new wiring from that junction box to the axles and then connect the brake assemblies to the trailer wiring. Don't forget to wire in the breakaway switch...

Here's a chart for proper wire sizing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRAKE WIRE SIZE CHART.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	37495  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
skids

Actually test the cable from the 7 pin to the junction box also. They can go bad. But do the easy things first. Voltage to the brakes when applied is the first thing to check IMO.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #6
DONK BISSER

Thanks for the info. I rewired them and they are working fine now. Any ideas on how to access the area behind the fiberglass on the front for the trailer? Trying to run wires and it was a nightmare.

Tags
brakes