Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2021, 05:53 AM   #1
jgforstall

Extended Warranty Recommendation

I’ve had my Alpine 5th wheel since 2017 and now considering purchasing an a comprehensive warranty. I’ve also searched this forum and did not see anything related to my topic. If overlooked please point me in the right direction.

Wonder if anyone has recommendations based on experience which company should be considered or stay away from. I’m not a full timer but do travel several months out of the year.

TIA!
jgforstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

On a trailer that is 4 years old, you may find it somewhat difficult to find coverage and I wonder what the cost would be.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
jgforstall

Thanks Chuck. There are several companies that offer warranties and can be quite pricey. Thus the reason for my posting to review the Pros and Cons before making a decision.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
travelin texans

From my experience with those the exclusion list is far longer than the covered list.
Personally I'd put whatever $$ you intend to spend on the warranty putting it in a bank account so you can determine what to spend it on. If the rv is good you've still got your money to do with as you please.
Not to be rude, but if you're not somewhat of a handyman with some basic tools, a basic knowledge of electrical (12 volt & 120 volt)/plumbing & not afraid to attempt a fix before handing it off to someone else then I'd suggest you rethink rv ownership, there WILL ALWAYS something to fix! Otherwise your rv will spend more time at a repair shop than at a campground.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
From my experience with those the exclusion list is far longer than the covered list.
Personally I'd put whatever $$ you intend to spend on the warranty putting it in a bank account so you can determine what to spend it on. If the rv is good you've still got your money to do with as you please.
Not to be rude, but if you're not somewhat of a handyman with some basic tools, a basic knowledge of electrical (12 volt & 120 volt)/plumbing & not afraid to attempt a fix before handing it off to someone else then I'd suggest you rethink rv ownership, there WILL ALWAYS something to fix! Otherwise your rv will spend more time at a repair shop than at a campground.
Agree, you have to be somewhat handy, otherwise, not many camping days in your future.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
dutchmensport

On a 4 - 5 year old camper, any warranty claim you may try will probably be denied, stating it's a result of normal wear and tear, not a manufacturing warranty issue. When you need it the most, you'll be turned down. Money twice lost.... once for the cost of the extended warranty, second for the cost of repair from your own pocket.

As stated above, figure out how much it would cost you on a monthly basis for the cost of a warranty program and then take that money and save it. When the time comes for a repair you are not able to do yourself, you'll have the money. But, you have to be disciplined to do this, and not squander that saving away.

If you never have to use any of that money for a repair (and that would be a miracle), then you'll have a really nice nest egg to apply to the cost of a new camper's down payment.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #7
jgforstall

Thanks Dutchmensport.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
flyingjack

Warranty: bought our Montana HC 30 days ago; got it home and both front two slide out drawers had the weak bearings fall out-literally. Rather than deal with any warranty; easier to upgrade with Home Depot slides. Most of my last 2013 Mountaineer 5th wheel was same way. Do what you can yourself.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty