Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #1
BubbaShoots

Dash Cam?

Does anyone use a dash cam in their tow vehicle? Do I need one? Recommendations? I’ve never had one and know very little about them.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve never had one, never saw a reason for one. Just my opinion, YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:36 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I put them in every vehicle I drive. Ouroldest daughter was broad sided at an intersection when she was a "new" driver. The guy that hit her ran a stop sign, he was in his 50's and refused treatment even though he broke his wrist ( drunk?, I suspect so). Anyway, the idiot fop beleived him and he cited our daughter.

Went to court, the judge viewed the dashcam video and rendered a not guilty verdict quickly. The but chewing he gave the cop lasted a bit longer. For our insurance it added to a discount as well. In today's era of "it's somebody else's fualt and which one of the dozen or do lawyers that advertise 24/7 on tv I think it's a cheap investmant. Model and price? Like any electronics that's a wide range and depe ds on the desired features and brand choice. Ours zre inexpensive units purchased on Amazon.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:37 AM   #4
Roper46

I have always used the Garmin GPS models with a dash cam. Currently use the Garmin RV 785. I chose this on when I started RVing last October. I like the size and features of it. It is not too big sitting on the dash and has a good dash cam.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:42 AM   #5
jasin1

I have one in a couple of vehicles…I watched a dash cam video where a guy pulled into a gas station and parked at the rear gas pump ….the woman directly in front of him at the forward pump,put her car in reverse and backed into the car with the dash cam….she got out and tried to argue it wasn’t her fault and then reported it as getting rear ended…thankfully the guy had it all on dash cam…do a YouTube search on reasons for dash cams…many similar videos
Old 09-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #6
notanlines

Might not want to get one with too many bells and whistles. KISS
Yes, we use one. $40.00
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I have one in a couple of vehicles…I watched a dash cam video where a guy pulled into a gas station and parked at the rear gas pump ….the woman directly in front of him at the forward pump,put her car in reverse and backed into the car with the dash cam….she got out and tried to argue it wasn’t her fault and then reported it as getting rear ended…thankfully the guy had it all on dash cam…do a YouTube search on reasons for dash cams…many similar videos
Exactly why they are a great idea!
We have a very small unit that is almost invisible from outside, records 6 hours of video. It is also NOT in my sight line, so not a driving distraction.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:11 AM   #8
Northofu1

I've had one for years, bought one for Serena.
If I only need it for one instance it's totally worth it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:39 AM   #9
travelin texans

With all idiots on the highways nowadays it's almost mandatory equipment!
I don't have one.......yet, but every time I get on I-10 between Tucson & Phoenix I sure wish I did!
The odd thing about that stretch of interstate is there's a highway patrol car parked at about 1/2 - 3/4s of the crossovers, but never seem to stop anyone? Honestly I think they're afraid to pull out into that mess!
When/why does it seem folks can't drive anymore? Are there no testing or driving requirements anymore? I remember Drivers Ed in school, we had so many hours of class room followed by so many hours of driving with an instructor. I know my grandkids had a course online with driving so many hours with mom or dad, most of the driving never happened but got signed off on by mom.
Even the truck drivers are some of the worst where in the past they were some of the best! Trucks in every lane holding up miles long traffic behind them or blazing past at well over the speed limit. It would take that loaded truck a week to stop doing 85+ mph, but on this stretch it's very common for them doing that fast, or more.
The other group is women from about 16 to 40+/-, not to sound chauvinistic, but that group must've been trained at a Nascar training center, they're all doing 10+ over the speed limit, darting in/out or drafting (read tailgating) so close you can barely see the top of the car, fairly certain they could read the serial number on my receiver hitch.
WHAT HAPPENED? I must've missed something!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:20 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With all idiots on the highways nowadays it's almost mandatory equipment!
I don't have one.......yet, but every time I get on I-10 between Tucson & Phoenix I sure wish I did!
The odd thing about that stretch of interstate is there's a highway patrol car parked at about 1/2 - 3/4s of the crossovers, but never seem to stop anyone? Honestly I think they're afraid to pull out into that mess!
When/why does it seem folks can't drive anymore? Are there no testing or driving requirements anymore? I remember Drivers Ed in school, we had so many hours of class room followed by so many hours of driving with an instructor. I know my grandkids had a course online with driving so many hours with mom or dad, most of the driving never happened but got signed off on by mom.
Even the truck drivers are some of the worst where in the past they were some of the best! Trucks in every lane holding up miles long traffic behind them or blazing past at well over the speed limit. It would take that loaded truck a week to stop doing 85+ mph, but on this stretch it's very common for them doing that fast, or more.
The other group is women from about 16 to 40+/-, not to sound chauvinistic, but that group must've been trained at a Nascar training center, they're all doing 10+ over the speed limit, darting in/out or drafting (read tailgating) so close you can barely see the top of the car, fairly certain they could read the serial number on my receiver hitch.
WHAT HAPPENED? I must've missed something!

What happened is basically what's happened to most everything else; no accountability, make it easy, no one can fail and most of all whatever you do is OK...let the other guy deal with it, pay for it etc. Very sad.

Like you our drivers ed classes were a semester long, class and driving and then the state troopers came with a special vehicle to test each applicant. They measured stopping distance, response time and all that. Todays applicants would mess their pants if a trooper sat down in the seat with them to grade their driving performance because.....they would fail dismally.

I also used to hold the semi drivers in high regard; the consummate professionals. Now I consider them as nothing more than bullies with a huge battering ram trying to intimidate and endanger others. The professionalism is just about gone except for some drivers for some select carriers who still know how to impress. The rest think nothing of 80 - 85mph without a thought of how they would ever stop (they wouldn't). I've had a semi flip over at about 50mph coming straight at me on a 2 lane road. It took forever for that thing to stop sliding as I had it in reverse trying to stay ahead of it, and he was only doing maybe 50. Thankfully there were no other cars.

The observation on women is 100% spot on; very dangerous drivers. Most have their faces glued in a smart phone totally oblivious to anything/everything going on on the highway. Had one girl come over a hill at me in a no passing zone glued to her phone. I had pulled clear over to the side so she could come through in my lane. As she went by my truck she saw me, saw the road, the car next to her and I thought she was going to kill herself and the guy next to her when she jerked that car but he was already on high alert as well. Penalty IMO? Loss of vehicle, loss of device, loss of license for 5 years and a 10k fine. That MIGHT make them think twice before endangering everyone on the highway being what amounts to "stupid". Off my soapbox now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:59 AM   #11
travelin texans

Back before I retired was heading north of Ft Worth on 287 when a woman in a Lincoln Navigator pulled along side doing 70+ mph, she had a phone in her right hand, cup of something in her left hand, her left leg crossed in her lap & had the visor down looking in the mirror, I cancelled the cruise control & backed off way behind her.
Another was in a small car, I was in a F250 4x4 looking down at her, doing 70 mph in very heavy traffic while putting on her pantyhose, yeah she was driving.
CROSS MY HEART! These really happened.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

In Maryland you no long longer have to parallel park to get your license, but then again, most states don’t teach cursive writing either. In my experience FedEx has the worst drivers. They constantly speed thru our neighed so they can stop and toss a package marked fragile onto a concrete porch from 30’. On the raid they cut you off and speed. I think it’s probably the pressure they are put under to get it there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
In Maryland you no long longer have to parallel park to get your license, but then again, most states don’t teach cursive writing either. In my experience FedEx has the worst drivers. They constantly speed thru our neighed so they can stop and toss a package marked fragile onto a concrete porch from 30’. On the raid they cut you off and speed. I think it’s probably the pressure they are put under to get it there.
You don’t have to parallel park in MD for the driving test because most people double park in MD …..that’s what the upcoming test will probably have on it
In Baltimore City it’s a requirement to double park
Old 09-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #14
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What happened is basically what's happened to most everything else; no accountability, make it easy, no one can fail and most of all whatever you do is OK...let the other guy deal with it, pay for it etc. Very sad.

Like you our drivers ed classes were a semester long, class and driving and then the state troopers came with a special vehicle to test each applicant. They measured stopping distance, response time and all that. Todays applicants would mess their pants if a trooper sat down in the seat with them to grade their driving performance because.....they would fail dismally.

I also used to hold the semi drivers in high regard; the consummate professionals. Now I consider them as nothing more than bullies with a huge battering ram trying to intimidate and endanger others. The professionalism is just about gone except for some drivers for some select carriers who still know how to impress. The rest think nothing of 80 - 85mph without a thought of how they would ever stop (they wouldn't). I've had a semi flip over at about 50mph coming straight at me on a 2 lane road. It took forever for that thing to stop sliding as I had it in reverse trying to stay ahead of it, and he was only doing maybe 50. Thankfully there were no other cars.

The observation on women is 100% spot on; very dangerous drivers. Most have their faces glued in a smart phone totally oblivious to anything/everything going on on the highway. Had one girl come over a hill at me in a no passing zone glued to her phone. I had pulled clear over to the side so she could come through in my lane. As she went by my truck she saw me, saw the road, the car next to her and I thought she was going to kill herself and the guy next to her when she jerked that car but he was already on high alert as well. Penalty IMO? Loss of vehicle, loss of device, loss of license for 5 years and a 10k fine. That MIGHT make them think twice before endangering everyone on the highway being what amounts to "stupid". Off my soapbox now.
I have to agree about the semi drivers. They used to be some of the nicest drivers out on the roads. Now, I swear their goal is to be the worst, most inconsiderate. I do love the few out there though who are the “old style” drivers.

But, honestly, women?!?! Don’t lump all of us together! I could just as easily say all men suck at driving because they all drive jacked up trucks and love to tailgate/ intimidate all drivers around them. We won’t mention the one a few years ago that tried to run me off the road because I was in my old (not a classic, just old) mustang and wouldn’t “play” with him on the highway when he was trying to race me. Pissed his jacked up truck @$$ off that I ignored him, so he tried to run me into the ditch - with my kids in the backseat!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Okay, back on track….IF I was to look into one, which is the best for the money. Gotta buy 2 because the DW also drives her Car.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #16
ADQ K9

Been thinking about getting a couple but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Both private companies that I used to work for had cameras in the trucks and also transmit telemetry data, they are special cameras designed for fleets. I think the cost of outfitting a small fleet with cameras is cheaper than one claim
I think cameras help in a commercial application. for private citizens I think it is more peace of mind or for an insurance discount
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #17
vampress_me

On subject. We got a Blackvue dash cam for the truck this spring. I wanted it hard wired in since I hate dangling cords in my view driving. So, it finally was installed beginning of July before we were leaving for a camping vacation out west. Discovered it had an issue and wouldn’t work. Called the company we bought it from through Amazon, they sent us out a new one right away and had us mail the old one back to them, even though we were out of the return period for Amazon by a few months. I will get another for my car because of their service, and because it seems pretty easy to use.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
On subject. We got a Blackvue dash cam for the truck this spring. I wanted it hard wired in since I hate dangling cords in my view driving. So, it finally was installed beginning of July before we were leaving for a camping vacation out west. Discovered it had an issue and wouldn’t work. Called the company we bought it from through Amazon, they sent us out a new one right away and had us mail the old one back to them, even though we were out of the return period for Amazon by a few months. I will get another for my car because of their service, and because it seems pretty easy to use.
Amazon has simplified my life as far as shopping…get almost daily deliveries..sometimes multiple different same day …BUT I find I buy a lot more things then I ever would have before…..it’s like having a genie in a bottle…. “Genie find me a mullet wig for a 80s themed party”…….. “as you wish”……BAM! 16 hours later my security camera shows a guy ambling up my sidewalk
Old 09-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I have to agree about the semi drivers. They used to be some of the nicest drivers out on the roads. Now, I swear their goal is to be the worst, most inconsiderate. I do love the few out there though who are the “old style” drivers.

But, honestly, women?!?! Don’t lump all of us together! I could just as easily say all men suck at driving because they all drive jacked up trucks and love to tailgate/ intimidate all drivers around them. We won’t mention the one a few years ago that tried to run me off the road because I was in my old (not a classic, just old) mustang and wouldn’t “play” with him on the highway when he was trying to race me. Pissed his jacked up truck @$$ off that I ignored him, so he tried to run me into the ditch - with my kids in the backseat!

Lynette please, my apologies! Rereading my post it was sort of all encompassing....and was not meant to be. I should have elaborated.

I piggybacked off of Danny's comments using that age range and didn't really specify. As he posted, anymore it seems a certain age range (and maybe lack of concern?) of women are TERRIBLE about having to live and die on their smart phones. I don't see that as much in men but I do see it (and I drive a lot). Passed a guy driving about 50 in a 75 a few days ago staring at his phone, left foot up on the dash and oblivious to me or anything else going on so it's just not women...IN THAT AGE GROUP.....WITH THOSE PROPENSITIES!!! Don't really see what I call "grown up" women pulling those stunts. Sorry for casting such a wide net and hope I cleaned it up a little.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #20
Northofu1

It all depends on what you want in a dash cam.
You can go the $40 route and if you're happy with that, that's what matters.
If you want something a little more high tech, you're going to have to pay for it.
I bought Serena a Rexing V1 pro dual.
It has a front and rear camera, wifi to use for a phone app, and gps. Rear camera is wired into the front, it comes with the lighter power cord but you can get a hardwire kit that goes right to your fuse panel for $38.
With both cams on you get 1080p quality, if using just the front you can switch it to 2160p.
I bought for our trip to BC and the footage is fantastic. I decided to go with the 128gb micro sd card it can take a 256gb card if you should want one.
Night vision is great in the front cam, haven't tested the rear cam night vision as we only used the front on our trip. I got the whole shebang for $236 CAN tax in on amazon. We just got back last week so I am going to try to tackle installing it in her car. It has quite a few options. I have had my existing Dashcam for three vehicles now as I put it in my Lancer originally.

It is nowhere near the top of the line, but I like what it has to offer at that price point.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rexing-Degree-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote