Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #21
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Brent,

I believe that 90 PSI max has more to do with having to install the tire in a tire cage to inflate it. If they don't have a tire cage, then they can't inflate tires above 80% of max rated pressure in the shop without a cage. If I remember correctly, OSHA requires a heavy duty tire cage for any inflation pressure greater than 100 PSI. So, if they don't have a tire cage, then they can only inflate "light duty tires". The shop foreman had probably drilled 90PSI into their heads so much they thought they'd get shot or worse if they adjusted a regulator to get you where your tires needed to be.
I hadn't thought of that. I don't remember if they had a cage or not. I was a bit stressed out. I used my DeWalt 20volt air compressor to take them up to 125psi.
Otherwise I'm a long time fan of Discount Tire.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:38 AM   #22
Camp CA

Whenever I have to replace tires on my trailer I go to the closest tire shop that has adequate parking space for my 41 ft fifth wheel trailer (Big O Tires in my case). I order the tires from them and have them replace the tires.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #23
thefulminator

I had DT install on our outback last year. As others have said, some of their lots are pretty tight to maneuver a truck and trailer in. Used the satellite view in google maps to research store parking lots then checked them out without the trailer before setting up the installation.

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
thefulminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #24
Mikelff

Do NOT let any tire shop jack up your trailer by the axels! If they bend them it puts your wheels out of alignment. I have a 41 foot 5er and have them jack up the trailer on the frame if they can reach it, which they usually can. DT put on a set of Sailuns last year and did one side at a time. They had plenty of room for my rig and had no issues and had me in and out quickly. They used a 10 ton floor jack operated with their compressor air system. Never saw a floor jack that big before. Lifted that fiver no problem. They could only do 80 lbs of pressure for the tires so I finished airing up at my storage lot where they can fill to 120 psi. I run mine at 108 psi. I would suggest going over to whatever DT store you are thinking of using first to see clearances and discuss with the guys how they want you positioned. Makes things a whole lot easier.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #25
Jweems

I had the four new tires put on a discount tire on my trailer. Their facility had plenty of room. The service was great. They made arrangements to allow me to have the tires put on first thing in the morning. I have nothing but good things to say about discount tires service. Plus the price on the tires was excellent.
Full timing since 2010.
Jweems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #26
firestation12

Discount Tire sells extended coverage as an option for the tires they sell. They also will sell you the same policy for the OEM tires that came on your new tow vehicle, which includes free balancing and tire rotations.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Do NOT let any tire shop jack up your trailer by the axels! If they bend them it puts your wheels out of alignment. I have a 41 foot 5er and have them jack up the trailer on the frame if they can reach it, which they usually can. DT put on a set of Sailuns last year and did one side at a time. They had plenty of room for my rig and had no issues and had me in and out quickly. They used a 10 ton floor jack operated with their compressor air system. Never saw a floor jack that big before. Lifted that fiver no problem. They could only do 80 lbs of pressure for the tires so I finished airing up at my storage lot where they can fill to 120 psi. I run mine at 108 psi. I would suggest going over to whatever DT store you are thinking of using first to see clearances and discuss with the guys how they want you positioned. Makes things a whole lot easier.
This is a bit of a misnomer, it is perfectly safe to jack a trailer by the axles AT THE SPRING.
This is far more stable than jacking on the frame, and you need to lift very little. I had the tires replaced on our 5er at our local DT. Very professional and lifted on the axle at the spring mount. If you think this is going to damage the axles on your 16,000# 5er, then you might consider parking it as rolling down the road puts a lot more stress on the axles than jacking at the spring mount.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #28
rlh1957

Just call before going to set up an appointment time and discuss where they want you to park it.

If you bought tires at the establishment they will work more easily with you. If you bought elsewhere and need an install it might cost a little more.
But a little more for them to jack it up, take off wheels, unmount old tires, mount and balance new tires is worth it to me rather than leaving rig on jack stands & blocks while I muscle 4 or 6 tires plus spare.

Many tire places will tell you trailer or fifth wheels don’t need to be balanced.
Have them BALANCED!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:10 AM   #29
gailtodd

I parked in an adjoining pot per their instructions. I had made an appointment with them to avoid waiting time. Discount Tire was great. I am a single 71 year old who solos with my Tundra and 20 foot trailer.
gailtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:59 AM   #30
billsr

I had the same problem with swollen lug nuts, so I had them replaced with stainless ones. I don't think my bill was as high as $70.00 though.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:05 PM   #31
P&DZ

I bought and installed 4 Goodyear Endurance beginning of last season at the DT in Fort Collins. Large, easy to maneuver parking area, they took it right in at appointment time changed out the tires in front of an open bay, done in 35 minutes. I did ask for metal valve stems which they installed at no extra cost. Happy with the tires thus far.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #32
Cbrez

I like DT because you can make an appointment and they actually torque the lug nuts. Most shops I’ve dealt with just put the impact wrench on high and let her rip. They’ve been very good about honoring appointment times and minimizing wait time. The DT I use is just down the street from a naval installation and they do a lot of business, so being able to make an appointment is a real plus. Their parking lot looks plenty big for the RV, so I plan to use them when I need new tires for the rig.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #33
ACJCF2

I had a set of Goodyear G614 RST 14 ply mounted on our Carbon TH after a Trailer King failure. They were going to sell me a set of Carlisle 14 ply but I saw the Made in China and called an audible. Our DT in Beaufort, SC did a great job. Balanced them as well. They had me place the TST monitor on each valve stem prior to balancing. One word of caution don't let them remove your metal valve stems and replace them with "high pressure rubber" stems. I told under no circumstances to tamper with what was installed O.E.
Retired Asst. Fire Chief
Keep Calm, Play Tuba
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:33 AM   #34
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJCF2 View Post
I had a set of Goodyear G614 RST 14 ply mounted on our Carbon TH after a Trailer King failure. They were going to sell me a set of Carlisle 14 ply but I saw the Made in China and called an audible. Our DT in Beaufort, SC did a great job. Balanced them as well. They had me place the TST monitor on each valve stem prior to balancing. One word of caution don't let them remove your metal valve stems and replace them with "high pressure rubber" stems. I told under no circumstances to tamper with what was installed O.E.
I'm very surprised that Keystone would use ST235/80R16 LRF ties on a 2020 model trailer; why? because when the RVIA recommended 10% load capacity reserves are applied the tires do not qualify for 7000# vehicle certified GAWRs. Even though the G614 RST has equal maximum load capacity as the ST LRF they are considered plus sized and usually DT will not take it upon themselves to use plus sized tires without some option or approval action by the vehicle manufacturer. Of course, DT is probably not a RVIA member and may have no knowledge of their recommendations (???).

Had I been in your shoes at replacement time I would have questioned Keystone about not meeting the RVIA minimum standard.

On the valve stems: DT was following USTMA recommendations to change valve stems when replacing tires. All valve stems have internal/external sealing gaskets. If DT didn't have them, they could have most likely been found at any large automotive parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/TecUnite-Meta...LCP2J?dchild=1
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #35
ACJCF2

CWtheMan, that's what came on it O.E LRF 100 psi tires. Those Trailer Kings seemed to grow in height until an outer belt separated. I was on a state hwy and going 45 mph. I heard and saw the failure and immediately pulled over. DT did replace the valve cores in my metal stems. I also had metal stems put on on truck tires as a rubber valve stem blew out. I check 'em the old fashion way. I made the call to upgrade to a LRG 14 ply tire. DT sold and did what I requested. It's on me. Our local DT is first rate.
Retired Asst. Fire Chief
Keep Calm, Play Tuba
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:03 AM   #36
gearhead

DT will not take it upon themselves to use plus sized tires without some option or approval action by the vehicle manufacturer. Of course, DT is probably not a RVIA member and may have no knowledge of their recommendations (???).

I can about guarantee that DT has no communication with a vehicle manufacturer or RVIA.
They might check the label on the left front of the trailer. If I take a set of wheels to them to mount tires on, they will put whatever tire I buy on them. They couldn't care less.
I know a DT manager and he's a great salesman but that's all.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 11-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #37
Mikelff

Quote:
Carlisle are good tires. Have had several with no issues. Like Sailins made in China, and if I am not mistaken, made in same factory. Tires made in Vietnam seem to be having issues with several failures reported on this site. Good to keep metal valve stems. DT stocks Carlisle and are considerably less expensive and IMO are just as good as the Goodyear. Everyone has their own opinion so you do what you think is best for you.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #38
CWtheMan

Quote:
CWtheMan, that's what came on it O.E LRF 100 psi tires. Those Trailer Kings seemed to grow in height until an outer belt separated. I was on a state hwy and going 45 mph. I heard and saw the failure and immediately pulled over. DT did replace the valve cores in my metal stems. I also had metal stems put on on truck tires as a rubber valve stem blew out. I check 'em the old fashion way. I made the call to upgrade to a LRG 14 ply tire. DT sold and did what I requested. It's on me. Our local DT is first rate.
I think you missed my point. Your OE tires did not meet the RVIA recommendation for 10% in load capacity reserves at 95 PSI and the GY G614 does not meet the recommended load capacity at 110 PSI.

The minimum standard to meet the RVIA recommendation for vehicle certified 7000# GAWRs is 3850#. Your OE LRF tires were maxed-out at 3750# as are the new LRG tires.

Remember, you have plus sized from your OE tires. To meet the load capacity the OE tires provided you'll have to reset your recommended cold inflation pressures for the new tires to 110 PSI.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #39
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomech View Post
Ford trucks are prone to the problem because the lug nuts are two piece design. The steel lug nut has an aluminum cover over it, and when the steel nut corrodes it distorts the aluminum to the point a socket won't fit over it to remove the wheel. The DT manager told me they see a lot of this with Ford and some Chryslers. There was a class action law suit against Ford for doing this to cut costs but I haven't heard much more about what happened with it.
Brand new 1974 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon had the worst set of 2 piece lug nuts ever invented. That was compounded by the Firestone TPC radial tires.
Oldsmobile is gone and Firestone is too. I hate to say good riddance, but...
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 11-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #40
Tireman9

Quote:

Good call on valve stems. I have never seen a bolt in metal stem fail but I have video of a "High Pressure" "snap-in" valve failure.