Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
Kaptn Krabby

Tire installation at Discount Tire

Just bought a set of Goodyear Endurance tires. Does anyone have experience with Discount Tire when having their new tires installed? How do they handle the install or am I going to be removing the wheels and taking them in to get the tires replaced?
Kaptn Krabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
Rick

I had mine done at one a few years ago. Drove the trailer in and parked outside the bays. They were on it quick. Just check the paperwork for un-needed upsells before signing (nitrogen, if you want balancing, etc). I think they did a great job.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:06 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Did you buy the tires from DT or did you just buy them and want them to install them? In my part of the country all the new DT stores are in pretty tight, congested areas and there is no place/way to even get a trailer in. I've been to some that had room and would work on them. I figure it will just depend on the dealership and what you can get in/out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
rhagfo

I have not had any issue with three different DT locations servicing trailer tires and wheels. They place floor jacks under the spring mounts and remove wheels. When we had the new Yokohama’s put on our 5er they had all four tires off at the same time.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
FlyingAroundRV

We had 4 new GY Endurances put on our trailer in ‘19 (last time we were in the US) at the DT in Burleson TX. They did OK. As others have said, watch for the upsell attempts, extended warranties and others. They used floor jacks under all four springs at once which I thought was a little dodgy. Since the trailer was sitting on a slight slope I was a bit concerned for it falling off the jacks.
But overall, the price for the tires seemed good and they were quick. The place we went to was super busy and even though we booked a time, we had to wait for a worker to be available.
Overall impression of price and service around 8/10.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
gearhead

DT is usually pretty good.
I discovered in Albuquerque that they have only 90 psi available from their air compressors and couldn't or wouldn't adjust the regulator.
Otherwise they are my first choice.
Pick one with a big parking lot.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Baldy

I had 4 Goodyear tires installed at Discount Tire in March. It was my first trip after the trailer purchase. I was really satisfied with the service. No issues accessing the site. Trailer tows great.

Others mileage may vary......

2020 Cougar RDB
B&W Companion Hitch
2014 RAM 2500 5.7 Hemi 4X4
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
locomech

In order to avoid major road construction in a highly congested area I removed the tires from our Passport and brought them in to Discount Tire. They changed out the Trailer Kings for Goodyear Endurance and I'm happy with the tires and service they provided.

In the spring of this year I took my truck to them for a rotation and was surprised that they didn't charge me for the rotation as I didn't buy the truck tires from them. They did get me for swollen lug nuts though, and that was seventy bucks .

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
DT is usually pretty good.
I discovered in Albuquerque that they have only 90 psi available from their air compressors and couldn't or wouldn't adjust the regulator.
Otherwise they are my first choice.
Pick one with a big parking lot.
Brent,

I believe that 90 PSI max has more to do with having to install the tire in a tire cage to inflate it. If they don't have a tire cage, then they can't inflate tires above 80% of max rated pressure in the shop without a cage. If I remember correctly, OSHA requires a heavy duty tire cage for any inflation pressure greater than 100 PSI. So, if they don't have a tire cage, then they can only inflate "light duty tires". The shop foreman had probably drilled 90PSI into their heads so much they thought they'd get shot or worse if they adjusted a regulator to get you where your tires needed to be.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:41 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

The Discount Tire nearest us is about 25-30 miles away. I had a set of tires put on a camper a few years ago and their parking lot is cramped and the service area is even tighter. The manager was kind enough to back my truck/camper into the service area (I would have taken out half the parked cars) and they mounted four new tires in no time by putting jacks under the spring hangers; looked like a pit stop at a race... Since then I have purchased tires on the internet and take to a mom and pop tire shop in Castroville Texas for install. Discount Tire will typically not stock Carlisle brands and push their house brand which I have no knowledge of. Discount Tire has an online site with better pricing than the store. If you take their online pricing to the manager, he will match it in most cases. Saves you a few bucks.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:16 AM   #11
notanlines

"They did get me for swollen lug nuts though, and that was seventy bucks"
That's more than Medicare allows I believe....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:10 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
But well worth it for making the problem go away!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #13
locomech

Quote:

Not only that, but my other healthcare plan denied payment because DT is out of network

Old 09-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #14
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I have not had any issue with three different DT locations servicing trailer tires and wheels. They place floor jacks under the spring mounts and remove wheels. When we had the new Yokohama’s put on our 5er they had all four tires off at the same time.
I also got Goodyear Endurance tires at Discount Tire. HOWEVER, I had to make SURE that they did not try to jack it up using the axles! They started to try it, and I let them know that they were doing it wrong. The manager said they do it on the axles all the time. I insisted on them putting the floor jacks under the spring mounts.

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Sounds painful!!!
That's a new term for me about vehicle lug nuts or was it just a way to extract $70 from your wallet.
I have seen where some have almost crushed them through the aluminum wheel or breaking the the lug bolts both due to constantly torquing them every time they stop (which BTW isn't needed nor recommended), but don't think I've ever seen one "swollen".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #16
Texas Steve

I had my TT tires changed at Discount Tire. They have an appointment manager on their website and was easy. I just confirmed that they had space for my trailer (which they did) and showed up at the appointed time. They were done with all 4 in less than an hour.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #17
locomech

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Sounds painful!!!
That's a new term for me about vehicle lug nuts or was it just a way to extract $70 from your wallet.
I have seen where some have almost crushed them through the aluminum wheel or breaking the the lug bolts both due to constantly torquing them every time they stop (which BTW isn't needed nor recommended), but don't think I've ever seen one "swollen".
Ford trucks are prone to the problem because the lug nuts are two piece design. The steel lug nut has an aluminum cover over it, and when the steel nut corrodes it distorts the aluminum to the point a socket won't fit over it to remove the wheel. The DT manager told me they see a lot of this with Ford and some Chryslers. There was a class action law suit against Ford for doing this to cut costs but I haven't heard much more about what happened with it.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomech View Post
Ford trucks are prone to the problem because the lug nuts are two piece design. The steel lug nut has an aluminum cover over it, and when the steel nut corrodes it distorts the aluminum to the point a socket won't fit over it to remove the wheel. The DT manager told me they see a lot of this with Ford and some Chryslers. There was a class action law suit against Ford for doing this to cut costs but I haven't heard much more about what happened with it.

I have had a Ram pickup with that problem and replaced all the lug nuts on the truck. No one at the tire shop where I take it ever said anything but I went to check torque before a trip and had a heck of a time getting a socket on some of the nuts....and they felt like they were 2 pieces. Tire store owner was aware of the issues with them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:02 PM   #19
Ksupaul

I am sitting here watching DT in Olathe KS install some Carlisle’s on my trailer as we speak. Fast, efficient, safe, just finished torquing everything and rechecking. Will see how the check out goes.
Edit: checkout was smooth and expected. In and out in 50 minutes about from them starting. They started 15 late from appt time though. Not bad in my opinion No complaints at all. Busy place too with a lot of shop workers which surprised me. They don’t seem to have the staffing issues other businesses are having right now.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:52 PM   #20
RVGator

I had china bombs on my Bullet and after the first one blew I had them all replaced, including spare, with Goodyear Endurance. I had it done at Discount Tire and they were great. On our way out west I ended up with a leaking valve stem this summer and pulled into a discount tire that was along the way. I didn’t have an appointment but they squeezed me in and got me on my way. No paperwork, no cost, just backed up their work. Very happy with their service.
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote