Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
cinfrmdel

Red Light on Fuse Panel and Replacement Fuses Blow Immediately

I can’t find where I should post but I have a red light on in my fuse box and go to my bedroom lights .. every time I put a new fuse in it blows and I’ve checked all my wiring .. I can’t figure it out.. please help!
cinfrmdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfrmdel View Post
I can’t find where I should post but I have a red light on in my fuse box and go to my bedroom lights .. every time I put a new fuse in it blows and I’ve checked all my wiring .. I can’t figure it out.. please help!
Welcome to the forum. To get the most/best responses, post in the Repairs & Maintenance section in a new thread. Also, go to the UserCP and click and go to Signature and create one with year, make and model as well as the same for your tow vehicle. Your questions will receive answers with more context.

You may want to pull each light in the bedroom area and check to see if the positive and negative 12V wires are touching on any. You definitely have a short where wires are touching or one of the wires going to the lights is touching metal or another wire lead, etc.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
cinfrmdel

Thank you for the info. I’m not able to get to the wires where the lights are to check. It’s just a puzzle because they have always been working.
cinfrmdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This thread was moved from another location to a more appropriate section of the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:50 AM   #5
notanlines

The advice George gave you was indeed correct. Pull the fixtures, one at a time, make sure the wiring attached is not a problem, reinstall and go to the next fixture.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:05 AM   #6
Lee

Also, to help with trouble-shooting when you are going through a pile of blown fuses.... I keep a few of these in my TT in various amp ratings.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOOKOTO-12V-2...53&sr=8-4&th=1

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfrmdel View Post
Thank you for the info. I’m not able to get to the wires where the lights are to check. It’s just a puzzle because they have always been working.
If you can remove the fixture, tug on the wiring. I have had stray brads and staples penetrate the wiring and over time with vibrations the wiring will short out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

What Chuck said. I'd leave the fuse out then remove the light fixture physically closest to the fuse panel. Place a VOM to ohms reading and remove the wires to the light. There most likely will be 2 sets of wires. One from the fuse panel to the light and one going to the next light.

With the wires disconnected take an ohm reading between the 2 wires in each pair. No reading or infinity, or "out of range" (depending on meter) will indicate no connection between the + and - wires. A zero reafing would indicate a direct short between the two wires. This will tell you the the direction to proceed. If there is no short in the wires then remove the light bulbs in the light fixture and test the light fixture. Operate the on/off switchnon the light fixture while testing. If it's the wire going to the next light fixture remove that fixture and repeate the process.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote