Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2021, 04:34 AM   #41
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I agree with Javi!
Unless you saw the badging on the fenders I'd bet money that she, nor you, could tell the difference if standing between a newer diesel & a gasser.
As for towing there's NO comparison between the two, the diesels are made to be workhorses & will do so without breaking a sweat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I've tried to she if she could pick out a diesel by the sound in a campground earlier this year. A new(er) Duramax went by slowly pulling a rig. Nice and quite to me. Because I'm a Ford guy, she knows the name Powerstroke, not Duramax. Didn't matter, she nailed it right off. I can tell you that when my kids were younger, they couldn't mutter anything under their breath without her hearing them. Lol. But she has also said we need to test drive a diesel before we buy anything. See what it sounds like in the cab. We have predetermined size limits on what we want to live by in our RV. So either gasoline or diesel, I know we'll be fine. Especially since this will be OUR adventures, her comfort and piece mind is far more important to me than anything else.
Lerd, So your DW can hear a diesel as it drives by, most likely she can they are still a bit nosier when idling, but still way quieter than days of old. We had a 2001 Ram CTD Laramie, when idling sounded like someone shaking a can of bolts. We now have a 2016 Ram CTD Laramie, way quieter than the old. The important part is on the inside it is very quiet, and no exhaust smell. Far more pulling power than gas.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:36 AM   #42
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Lerd, So your DW can hear a diesel as it drives by, most likely she can they are still a bit nosier when idling, but still way quieter than days of old. We had a 2001 Ram CTD Laramie, when idling sounded like someone shaking a can of bolts. We now have a 2016 Ram CTD Laramie, way quieter than the old. The important part is on the inside it is very quiet, and no exhaust smell. Far more pulling power than gas.
Oh, I agree. They are much quieter than they used to be. I've had a class A CDL for over 26 years now. Multiple times a month I'm driving Internationals and Freightliners. Those engines are deafening! We'll see if its a thumbs up or down after the test drive. One thing is for sure, we're keeping our current rig and TV till this supply shortage works its way out.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Ford's 6.7L diesel is significantly less noisy than the GM and Chrysler diesels. The "significant difference" between the 3 engines is the location of the intake/exhaust systems. On the GM and Chrysler, the intake is "on top of the engine and the exhaust is on the sides of the engine. That puts the "exhaust clatter" near the wheelwells and makes the "diesel sound" much easier to hear when standing beside the truck, or as posted, easier to "pick out when driving by"....

Ford changed that configuration and the intake manifolds are "on the side of the engine". The exhaust manifold is located on the top of the engine. That makes "masking the diesel clatter" easier, reduces the length of the "exhaust tubing for the turbo" and makes the engine significantly less "diesel clatter".

I had a 1993 and a 1999 Ford diesel. It was "uncomfortable" to start either engine in the garage with the truck windows open and the garage door closed. First, diesel exhaust would fill the cab with "diesel smell" in a very short time, but even more uncomfortable was the "extremely loud clatter" of a cold diesel engine. You simply couldn't sit in the cab without your ears "being offended".....

That's not true with the 6.7L engine. I can start my current truck in the garage with the windows down, the garage door closed and it's no more noisy than DW's Edge or our old Escape, both "mini-sized gas engines_....

What Ford did by rearranging the exhaust and intake locations on the engine made a remarkable difference in how the engine sounds, both when cold and when at operating temperature. You can open the hood, stand by the cold engine and carry on a normal conversation. It was impossible to do that with the older 7.3L diesel and all the RAM/GM Duramax trucks I've been near, while they are less noisy than trucks from several years ago, they are not as quiet as the Ford 6.7.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:31 AM   #44
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ford's 6.7L diesel is significantly less noisy than the GM and Chrysler diesels. The "significant difference" between the 3 engines is the location of the intake/exhaust systems. On the GM and Chrysler, the intake is "on top of the engine and the exhaust is on the sides of the engine. That puts the "exhaust clatter" near the wheelwells and makes the "diesel sound" much easier to hear when standing beside the truck, or as posted, easier to "pick out when driving by"....

Ford changed that configuration and the intake manifolds are "on the side of the engine". The exhaust manifold is located on the top of the engine. That makes "masking the diesel clatter" easier, reduces the length of the "exhaust tubing for the turbo" and makes the engine significantly less "diesel clatter".

I had a 1993 and a 1999 Ford diesel. It was "uncomfortable" to start either engine in the garage with the truck windows open and the garage door closed. First, diesel exhaust would fill the cab with "diesel smell" in a very short time, but even more uncomfortable was the "extremely loud clatter" of a cold diesel engine. You simply couldn't sit in the cab without your ears "being offended".....

That's not true with the 6.7L engine. I can start my current truck in the garage with the windows down, the garage door closed and it's no more noisy than DW's Edge or our old Escape, both "mini-sized gas engines_....

What Ford did by rearranging the exhaust and intake locations on the engine made a remarkable difference in how the engine sounds, both when cold and when at operating temperature. You can open the hood, stand by the cold engine and carry on a normal conversation. It was impossible to do that with the older 7.3L diesel and all the RAM/GM Duramax trucks I've been near, while they are less noisy than trucks from several years ago, they are not as quiet as the Ford 6.7.
Well, I've been a Ford truck guy for almost 35 years now. So the next one will be either the 6.7 or the new 7.3!
Old 08-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #45
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I wouldn't/couldn't agree that there's a "significant" difference in noise levels between Ford's & GMs, there may be a VERY slight difference, but likely only LERD's wife's exceptional hearing would notice it. But you're the Ford truck guy & I'm the any truck but the Ford guy!
Back a few years ago sitting in a park the DW would say "crap hear comes a noisy damn Ford" or "that's a rattling Dodge coming down the street" just by the destinctive rattling/clattering of each, I was impressed that about 90% of the time she was correct.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #46
linux3

I don't understand the reasoning for the small fuel tanks in trucks. They are trucks and some of us actually use them as trucks.
My 2017 had the optional 33 gal tank. My 2020 is 24 gallons and there is no bigger option.

My Dad, back in the day, pulled his 5'ver with a 1976 F250 and it had 2 gas tanks for a total of 49 gal. OK, with a 460 CID V8 it was needed but still...
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:50 AM   #47
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I don't understand the reasoning for the small fuel tanks in trucks. They are trucks and some of us actually use them as trucks.
My 2017 had the optional 33 gal tank. My 2020 is 24 gallons and there is no bigger option.

My Dad, back in the day, pulled his 5'ver with a 1976 F250 and it had 2 gas tanks for a total of 49 gal. OK, with a 460 CID V8 it was needed but still...
My '15 F350 dually has a 37 gallon tank but it's a long wheelbase... the tanks is tucked under the fender and so the short-bed trucks have smaller tanks..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:52 AM   #48
LERD

That's too funny! I just know I never say or mutter anything that I wouldn't say to her face! My kids learned that lesson while I laughed. We laugh about it now. Happy trails to all!
Old 08-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #49
flybouy
Site Team

Nowdays I think identifying a deisel is more about sound distinctions vs db levels. When I was young I could tell you when a Chrysler product starter was engaged from a block away or the "ring and sputter" of a VW air cooled flat 4.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #50
rhagfo

Well diesels made big strides in noise reduction when they went from mechanical injections and injection pumps to common rail and high pressure pumps and multiple injection pluses, instead single injection pluse.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #51
Roper46

I never liked diesel engines for the reasons stated on older models. But since I bought my Ram I love it. The Cummins is a towing beast, without the loud noises or any exhaust smoke.

And the diesel exhaust brake is amazing !
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #52
Texas Steve

^^^^Love the exhaust brake!
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #53
JDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crischan View Post
Hello all,

I have been driving a diesel for a number of years and have been looking at new trucks. I really like the Ford 7.3 Gas engine offered and would do great for my RVing needs. My only concern is how friendly are stations for Gas while traveling cross country?

I know that diesel options at truck stops are awesome and have been very nice.

I was wondering what do the Gas TV do? Go through the normal pumps? Do they have RV pump lanes for Gas?

Just curious if anyone has any comments.
Don't know if it's still in Production but we used the book "The Next Exit" that identifies "big rig friendly'" gas stations... Got it at Camping world and it was a great help....
JDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:48 AM   #54
Roy Finchville

Gas for Truck

Agree with comments made. I have found in large agricultural areas some stations, usually on the edge if town, have many customers pulling utility trailers of one type or another. They provide for customers with gas engines pulling trailers. I tend to try and fill up in rural areas or edge if town or big truck stops.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #55
LadyFaire

I just look for regular gas stations (Sheetz, WaWa, etc) stations with a HIGH roof and long 'line' space. Of course, I'm in a Class A, now, but should be the same reasoning.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #56
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaire View Post
I just look for regular gas stations (Sheetz, WaWa, etc) stations with a HIGH roof and long 'line' space. Of course, I'm in a Class A, now, but should be the same reasoning.
I like Sheetz. They usually have good space between pumps and a parking area where we can gave lunch while traveling.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #57
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Most annoying experience we've had was in a rural VA convenience store. Only one pair of pumps. Guy enters in front of us, parks at the rear (not front) pump, gets out, goes in, stays long time, comes out with hot food, drives away... never even used the pump!
Now that is a dick move.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:27 AM   #58
RickV

What I do is the day before we move to a new location is get on Google maps do the route thing, then select search along route/gas stations. I first use Satellite view and zoom in to get a idea what the station layout looks like, next I will click on the photos to get a better idea of what to expect.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 03:29 AM   #59
Crischan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB View Post
Don't know if it's still in Production but we used the book "The Next Exit" that identifies "big rig friendly'" gas stations... Got it at Camping world and it was a great help....
Loved Next Exit...was hoping that they had an app but no luck. Great resource tool!

Chris

2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 Diesel
2021 Bullet 290BHS
Crischan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #60
Mike1954

I took delivery of my 2021 F250 7.3 gas/10 speed automatic in March. Drove from Phoenix AZ to Hart Michigan in June and had absolutely no issues with finding and navigating gas stations along the way. Driven all over the state and am getting over 13 mpg without the trailer and got 10 mpg with it all the way across the country.
The 7.3 is a beast that tows great.
PullRite Superlite #2600 20k
Mike1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas