Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2021, 06:40 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

In addition to the above I think how an owner uses the RV has a big impact on whether they want, or need, to carry a large amount of water.

I previously posted I don't, and won't, travel with a full fresh water tank. I do carry about 15 gals. or so for incidental use enroute. But, that's because these days I don't boondock and only use full service campgrounds. To load up and carry a full tank across the country on our glass smooth highways needlessly would just be tempting fate IMO.

Now, if it was 20 years ago and I was boondocking all the time, I carried a full tank plus full containers of water of every kind and description across many miles of mountain roads - it's what I wanted to use the trailer for. And that brings us back to the main point;

One of the primary reasons of owning an RV is to "get away". Lots of improved campgrounds aren't really "getting away", letting the owner sit in the middle of nowhere all alone soaking up the fire or stars. To do that, to use the RV for what an owner wanted it for, requires traveling with a full tank to get to that "special" destination. If you can't do that with your RV, when it was your intended purpose, what good would it be?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:40 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think human nature is to "lump things together", sometimes too often and too unrelated...

Many people see the molding "installed wrong" or see the the cabinet pull with a loose screw and think, "Well, what about the fresh water tank"..... Maybe it's installed wrong too.....

While it's true that "it could be" that doesn't mean that "it is" or even that "one in ten or six in ten or even one in a thousand" are incorrectly installed.

Sure, there's the occasional fresh water tank that falls onto the road while towing, but I'd suspect there's probably a similar number of people who were struck by lightening while holding a golf club in their hand... That doesn't stop us from golfing, and IMHO, it shouldn't stop us from towing with water in the tank.... You (or me) might be the next to be "struck by lightening with a full FWT, but then again, probably not".... YMMV
And maybe some can see that golfing during a thunderstorm is unnecessarly tempting fate.
😜
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:52 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
And maybe some can see that golfing during a thunderstorm is unnecessarly tempting fate.
��
So let's use boating. How many boats sink (for no known reason) causing the people in them to get wet? Do we all "stop boating" because one person or 10 people a year get wet from "sinking boats" ???

The point I was attempting (apparently a "not good enough for everyone example) was this: Sure, it could happen. Occasionally a water tank will fall out of an RV. But it isn't a "sure thing, you're going to experience if you tow with water in your tank"... Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but because it happened to a guy on a forum 2 years ago doesn't mean YOUR tank is going to fall out if you don't drain it before towing......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:16 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Personally I only tow with a full tank to one place. They have water available but I prefer to fill it at home and jot from a hose thats been handled by 50 other campers that checked in ahead of me that day. For me it's about the tongue weight. The tankbis in the front so it increases the tongue weight appreciably.

As for rrportsnof tajks "falling out" yes it has happened. And when you hear about it it's scary,BUT it's the excrption, not the rule. I believe todays populace is obsessed with reacting to the exception vs managing the exception. Unfortunately there are no "statistics " or recorde to know the frequency of the occurence. I do believe that if it were a "common occurrence " and therefore a high probability of failure that we would have a lot more reporting. The thing is that on a social media site you may have 10,000 viewers and one reports an issue. Then 3 or 4 others chime in that "So have I!" and instant panic ensues. What about the other 9,997? Look past the exception and asses the risk.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:21 AM   #25
Javi

Quote:
So let's use boating. How many boats sink (for no known reason) causing the people in them to get wet? Do we all "stop boating" because one person or 10 people a year get wet from "sinking boats" ???

The point I was attempting (apparently a "not good enough for everyone example) was this: Sure, it could happen. Occasionally a water tank will fall out of an RV. But it isn't a "sure thing, you're going to experience if you tow with water in your tank"... Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but because it happened to a guy on a forum 2 years ago doesn't mean YOUR tank is going to fall out if you don't drain it before towing......
And I don't believe in unnecessarily tempting fate. Nor do I believe that it is necessary to tow 200 miles with a full tank of water. This is the United States and I doubt that there are many places where it is impossible to find potable water available without filling up at home and driving across the country only to dump it six States away..
Each of us should be free to decide our own level of acceptable risk. I see little need to put the stress of several hundred pounds; on the suspect at best engineering that goes into the trailers we own, without at least considering alternatives.

In Texan speak... why would I trust that the tank won't fall out of the trailer when something is broken, falling off or loose on it every time we take it out.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:40 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
And I don't believe in unnecessarily tempting fate. Nor do I believe that it is necessary to tow 200 miles with a full tank of water. This is the United States and I doubt that there are many places where it is impossible to find potable water available without filling up at home and driving across the country only to dump it six States away..
Each of us should be free to decide our own level of acceptable risk. I see little need to put the stress of several hundred pounds; on the suspect at best engineering that goes into the trailers we own, without at least considering alternatives.

In Texan speak... why would I trust that the tank won't fall out of the trailer when something is broken, falling off or loose on it every time we take it out.
For you, that's a perfectly logical conclusion and not towing with any water (or only a token amount for emergency use along the way) is what works "FOR YOU"...

To suggest that using a water tank to carry water is somehow "tempting fate" well, don't get into a car or truck and turn on the ignition, don't walk across the street, even in a crosswalk, don't go outside and don't stay inside either. People get hurt and even die in both places EVERY DAY !!!!!

For me and the way I use my trailer (and my personal preferences) it's simply not the way I choose to use my trailer. To suggest that "your way is right and my way is wrong" ??? To that, in Texan speak... bulls have better output....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-31-2021, 07:52 AM   #27
Javi

Quote:
For you, that's a perfectly logical conclusion and not towing with any water (or only a token amount for emergency use along the way) is what works "FOR YOU"...

To suggest that using a water tank to carry water is somehow "tempting fate" well, don't get into a car or truck and turn on the ignition, don't walk across the street, even in a crosswalk, don't go outside and don't stay inside either. People get hurt and even die in both places EVERY DAY !!!!!

For me and the way I use my trailer (and my personal preferences) it's simply not the way I choose to use my trailer. To suggest that "your way is right and my way is wrong" ??? To that, in Texan speak... bulls have better output....
You'd know all about that.. 😁

no where did I say anyone shouldn't do it... I said in my opinion I wouldn't
Old 07-31-2021, 07:58 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

This has turned into a "nonsensical, unnecessary diatribe of CRAP... I'll not respond any further to your comments in this thread.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #29
Ken / Claudia

I have seen and been told by co workers of all types of stuff break and fall off RVs onto the highway. So far never a holding tank. I do know it has happened from reading through RV forums.
I think in my case after 7 years of travel with tanks full, it does not have a factory defect regarding tank mounts.
Could a mount break, yes sir. Could that event drop a full, half full or even an empty tank onto the roadway. I think so.
I have said in the past that I want to remove the coplast cover and reinforce every tank with some type of home made straps. I have not followed up that project. This year we have talked about stepping up to a 5er. It may happen this year or in the next 2.
So I doubt that I will be doing much more than maintenance work to this unit. If I buy new again and while under warranty the tanks will either carry their weight or break lose. Doubt I will tear apart a new RV to just see what's under there.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Well... bet the OP (who hasn't been on for a couple days) wishes he had not asked. We could talk politics or religion and not get as heated a debate as the water tank issue! Does anyone want to hear my opinion on water in the tank when traveling? Bwhahahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:44 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post

Well... bet the OP (who hasn't been on for a couple days) wishes he had not asked. We could talk politics or religion and not get as heated a debate as the water tank issue! Does anyone want to hear my opinion on water in the tank when traveling? Bwhahahahaha
George, I think the water tanks onfall out if the trailer is being pulled by a gasser. Deisels don't have that issue!
Old 07-31-2021, 03:04 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
George, I think the water tanks onfall out if the trailer is being pulled by a gasser. Deisels don't have that issue!

Ohhhhh boy! And it's only 6pm my time....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:04 PM   #33
Ken / Claudia

How about we talk about long distance traveling with a full bladder or empty. I try to go empty.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:27 PM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
How about we talk about long distance traveling with a full bladder or empty. I try to go empty.
Now THAT TANK has about a 3 hr. limit before leaking, regardless of milage.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #35
captainbillyw69

Fill FW Tank

We have done it many times since we like to camp in primitive areas.
On long cross country trips we fill the FW tank about half full. Absolutely no issues.
RV: 28 ft travel trailer with 18 ft slide out
Tank Cap: 42 gallons
captainbillyw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:31 AM   #36
Blacklabmom

Hauling water

We always haul with full tank since we only boondock. We carry a few extra 6 gal jugs depending on number of days,
Blacklabmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #37
rlh1957

I think RV manufacturers have corrected the water tank straps breaking issues, beefed up stress points & straps. Wider beams that some tanks fit in. This was an issue years ago on some models. Now just internet talk or remote occurrences.

FW tanks were meant to travel full. That’s the point of being self contained.
Never depend on water being available at the next wagon stop.
You don’t want to depend on gas stations, sources that are supposed to have potable water. What about drought, water rationing, $5.00/ gallon water, local water source contamination or questionable water source?

Carrying FW becomes part of your gross weight and available payload.

FW in your tank full or empty will not make a dent in your MPG. You’ll barely notice the difference do don’t believe hauling FWvis going to kill MPG.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #38
Rwake901

Only time we travel with a full tank of water is when we go 20 miles away to a state park we like to camp at which doesn’t have water only electric. Normally I empty all tanks including the water heater when we travel any distance. I take two old milk containers of water to flush with in case we need to use the bathroom. I’m not afraid of my water tank falling out with a full tank of water I will travel with it full if I have to, it’s more of a weight thing for me. Why haul around all that extra weight if you don’t have to.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:05 AM   #39
Rocketsled

We’ve done both. With 800 lbs of water, the trailer’s about 11500 lbs and actually tows better with the Blue Ox and 10 links and a full tank of fresh water. The trailer is set up to haul (2 7000 axles) and if it’s empty (10,250 or so when we put it away for the winter), you can tell the interior stuff gets shaken around quite a bit…with 8 links on the WDH.

I trailered once with 1/2 to 2/3rd of a tank of fresh and it wasn’t the best experience. 70 gallons of water sloshing about is probably harder on the straps and retainers than 100 gallons staying put.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #40
Rber1234

If you have a tank that sits on the camper floor I would say yes fill it up. I have a hanging tank and I always filled it at home before going on a trip. That is until I had to replace the tank because it split open at the drain connector on the tank. RV dealership that replaced the tank said it was caused by having water in the tank while traveling. With that said I no longer put or travel with any water in tank.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water