Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2022, 03:19 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
Thanks for the link! It shows it as unavailable I will check with the glass shop and RV dealer locally to see if they have something other than silicone.
You're in Canada, so that may have some impact on availabiity. When I click on the link, it shows available with a delivery date of May 11. You may find the same issues with EBay availability based on a "border restriction or ????"

Looking on Amazon.ca, it's available but shipping to Winnipeg is outrageous. Hopefully you can find a suitable replacement locally. I'm sure "somebody somewhere up there" uses sealant on shower doors LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:23 AM   #22
GMH

I have measured the top to bottom height of the space available inside the gaskets to be 61-1/8” and the glass measures 61”. So I think I will seat the glass at the bottom and fill the 1/8” void at the top with some 1/8” vinyl or rubber cord or gasket of some type. Something not hard enough to prevent a little expansion, but dense enough to help prevent the sagging. That, plus a small bit of sealant/ adhesive on the vertical channels should do the trick.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:44 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
I have measured the top to bottom height of the space available inside the gaskets to be 61-1/8” and the glass measures 61”. So I think I will seat the glass at the bottom and fill the 1/8” void at the top with some 1/8” vinyl or rubber cord or gasket of some type. Something not hard enough to prevent a little expansion, but dense enough to help prevent the sagging. That, plus a small bit of sealant/ adhesive on the vertical channels should do the trick.
I understand your logic but I wouldn't go that route myself. I would replace that gasket material first. After 12 or more years the tension in the ribs have likely weakened to the point of not holding the glass tight enough. The glass needs room to expand and contract as well as move around with the bumps and vibrations during travel. The thermal variances in a trailer are ulike those in a house. It can be very cold and in an hour the heat changes the air temp by 40° or more. That glass is going to need some room to expand in all directions.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #24
GMH

Thank You all for your input and advice. This is what I have done. I re-assembled the door using a small bead of clear bathtub silicone…yes, silicone since I have it….on the outside and inside of the u-shaped vinyl gasket on the vertical sides only. The ribs on the gasket are still ok and it fits quite snug in the aluminum frame.
I have some 1/8” heavy rubber gasket material, so I cut some 1/8” square strips and used them to fill the void at the top of the glass. The glass is seated all the way down in the bottom channel, so the weight should be borne by the lower hinge. The rubber strips and the silicone are only meant to keep the framework from sagging again. The glass should never expand enough that the gasket and rubber strips can’t compensate.
The door was about 5/16” out of square on the diagonal before. Now it is 1/16” out of square in a favourable way. I am not sure if we are even going to get to use it this summer, but I will definitely post the results here, good or bad once we have travelled with it.
Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB71F1A8-7EEE-4D33-ADC5-41B79396DF6C.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	39692  
Old 08-13-2022, 08:15 AM   #25
GMH

Well the door has sagged a bit again, but at least not enough that it is binding at the bottom like it used to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5724B640-3576-4D96-AB7C-B8FDF48F7858.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	41131  
Old 09-28-2023, 09:37 AM   #26
owenthered

hi all.
i have a forest river product with the same bad design it is black instead of white but the camper level has to be lower on front and hinge side because there is play in the frame otherwise bottom drags when closing shower door. other than a shim to raise up the bottom do you know of an easy quick fix? shower curtain?
owenthered is offline   Reply With Quote