Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #21
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiscapk View Post
if there's a scientific, engineering or mathematical way to prove a WDH only distributes forwards and not BACKWARDS Please let me know, I'm willing to listen. And why the ability to manually use the controller exists on ALL controllers oem or aftermarket and is actually stated in the ford manual on how on how to use and why?
Since you say you are willing to listen (and maybe learn even though my post isn’t the fluffy welcome you may be looking for), it happens there IS a scientific, mathematical way to prove what a WDH will do for you. It’s called buy, beg, borrow, or steal a WDH (although I don’t recommend the steal portion). Take the time and effort to set it up for your truck/ trailer. Then, drive it to a CAT scale, weigh the truck/ trailer together, and then weigh the truck separately. Bonus - second weigh for the day is cheaper than the first one. Then, take the 2 weight tickets from the scale and figure out, using mathematics, what the weight is and how it’s distributed between the truck and trailer. If you want help with that, post it on this forum, and the “old farts/ geezers” will gladly help you. They like to do that. They (and I!!!!) like to have a nice relaxing drive when towing our campers, which means not having to watch out for those who disdain the “old farts” experience and end up almost causing an accident or do cause an accident - that I don’t want to be a part of!

Having to use the brake controller a few times in the truck WHILE driving down the road IS NOT NORMAL!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #22
Uncoolron

Welcome to the forum and have a safe, fun travels with new RV.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:39 AM   #23
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:04 AM   #24
CedarCreekWoody

"if there's a scientific, engineering or mathematical way to prove a WDH only distributes forwards and not BACKWARDS Please let me know, I'm willing to listen."

That is simple. Weight the truck and trailer twice, once with WDH engaged and once without it engaged. Let us know your results.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:52 AM   #25
German Shepherd Guy

Well.... I think this discussion devolved quite predictably.

Curtis:

As a registered and certified "Old Fart" It looks to me like that will be one nice fishing cabin up on the lake.

Welcome to the forum.
Stay safe.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #26
apachewolf

Smile

[QUOTE=German Shepherd Guy;446634]

Curtis:

As a registered and certified "Old Fart" It looks to me like that will be one nice fishing cabin up on the lake.

Welcome to the forum.
Stay safe.[/QUOTE

Or perhaps it'll end up as spare parts at a wrecker.

Listen to the "old" and very experienced members here. We all have been there at one time and we learned from making mistakes and are now passing that on so that hopefully those after us won't make the same mistake. Trust me a mistake can be FATAL.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #27
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the purchase of your new camper. I think everyone made valid points on WDH and sway control devices. The choice is now yours.

With that said, I'm an old fart myself, been around the barn a few times myself, and even got the switch on my bare butt behind the wood shed a time or too. You can't do that any more, these days to the kids. But one thing it did teach me, was to listen to someone who's been around the barn more times than me.

I learned at an early age, that young people giving me advise only led me to trouble. I somehow always tried to hover around the old people and figured out their stories and advise could save me a world of hurt, if I actually listened to what they had to say. And over the many years of my life now, they were right.

With that said, let me add this one thought as you draw conclusions for your sway problem:

You have spent (or financed) a considerable amount of money for your new camper. If you had to get a loan, before you pay it back in full, with interest, you will pay as much as your original purchase, plus an additional third at least. That's a lot of money. Also, your tow vehicle surly cost an arm and a leg too, not to mention the interest you are paying if you have a loan. Your tow vehicle and camper are not cheap. You've paid, or will pay, a small fortune for them. So, why cheap out when it comes to safety. Not only the price of the tow vehicle and trailer, but what about the cost of those riding in the tow vehicle? Your family, friends, pets? Heaven forbid anything should happen, but if something did happen, and you lost one of your loved ones in an accident, I imagine you'll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life for not investing a few more dollars into one of the most basic and surest pieces of equipment you can possible purchase.

So, with all that said, I've added my 2 cents. I hope you have many, many happy and successful trips with your new camper, and may the wind always be to your back!
Old 05-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #28
curtiscapk

Quote:
Thanks Ken! I knew I should've prefaced my post with ANTI-SWAY BAR IS COMING! :
AND HERE'S THE SWAY CONTROL ATTACHED!

Mounted the bar just in time for a trip to Fayetteville to see new Granddaughter.

I always intended to get one BTW.

It makes a difference for sure. Momma's even driving. Found a park just south of town that had some spots left. My son's brand new rig the Mesa Ridge is in the pics as well. He picked it up in OK then drove to Fayetteville. His AC and heater wouldn't work. After talking to the dealer I had to climb on top and look for lose wires. Both the + and - had come lose inside the AC unit. That was fun! Yes he has a WDH!

Sorry for the 2 sideways pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_131540 (Medium).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	33510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_131544 (Medium).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	33511   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_133711 (Medium).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	33512   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_165855 (Medium).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	33513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_173959 (Medium).jpg
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	33514  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_144549 (Medium).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	33515   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210505_214942 (Medium).jpg
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	33516   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507_184620 (Medium).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	33517   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210509_103800 (Medium).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	33518  
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_Chevy View Post
Ah Curtis take it with a grain of salt. Some of these old farts on here think you need a 1-ton DRW diesel with a Andersen or equalizer to tow a craftsman lawn mower. Stalk the forum, ask questions if you need to, and sift thru the chaff to get the wheat.

Congrats on the new hideout! We are lovin ours!
Perhaps tossing around a term "old farts" needs to have some clarification. I believe that most of the members on this forum are over 80 so if a person is not yet 80, does that make that person just a "fart". Why are NOT the moderators on this forum checking IDs to see that underage kids like Chevy don't get turned loose?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:56 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
AND HERE'S THE SWAY CONTROL ATTACHED!

Mounted the bar just in time for a trip to Fayetteville to see new Granddaughter.

I always intended to get one BTW.

It makes a difference for sure. Momma's even driving. Found a park just south of town that had some spots left. My son's brand new rig the Mesa Ridge is in the pics as well. He picked it up in OK then drove to Fayetteville. His AC and heater wouldn't work. After talking to the dealer I had to climb on top and look for lose wires. Both the + and - had come lose inside the AC unit. That was fun! Yes he has a WDH!

Sorry for the 2 sideways pics.
OK Curtis, Since I am a Texan and had a math class when I was a kiddo in school, here is the math to fix your new hitch up right:

The square of the hippopotamus is the sum of the square of the other two sides. Got it? Get your slide rule out and try and figure out what a square is. I can't recall but sure I must have known when I was a kiddo otherwise the coach would not have been able to let me play (well he COULD fix those things). Best of luck with your new camper and enjoy the baby; they are most fun prior to learning to talk and such.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote