Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
Cracker

Keep it Simple

I find it disappointing that so many first time campers want to immediately go for all the bells and whistles - overlooking simple pop-up type rigs that could provide so much for so little. At 82 years old, I've owned one or two versions of almost every rig out there sans a 5th wheel. Today, we have a small Class B+ that gets us around to visit the grandchildren - doing most of our camping in our kid's driveways. I can say, without exception, that the happiest camping days of our lives, and those of our three children, were spent in a Starcraft pop-up camper! We even took off one summer and toured over 6,500 miles around the U.S. Check out the concept before you spend $65,000 for a Toad and $50,000 for a travel trailer, or $250,000 for a motorhome. A good SUV, or almost any standard pickup, will do the job, while providing economical day-to-day transportation. I trust that Keystone will not be offended by my suggestions.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #2
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
At 82 years old, I've owned one or two versions of almost every rig out there sans a 5th wheel.

I trust that Keystone will not be offended by my suggestions.

Does it matter if Keystone cares? Other than the missing 5th wheel, how many more new ones do expect to buy??
Old 04-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
notanlines

George, we are evolving more and more into a "I want it now, and I want better than yours" situation in this world. I'm probably not telling you anything new. Do you realize motorhomes can be financed 20 years? Little P'sOS new cars for seven and eight years? Ask your average 30 year old for a dollar in their pocket that is actually their own? Little whiney beggars spending the lights out going to school and wanting the rest of us to foot the bill. Who paid for you and yours to go to school? I already know the answer to that question.
(Yes, I'll step down off this soap box in a minute)
Like your kids, ours remember the tent days at the lake like it was yesterday. But the odds of many of our younger people buying anything with cash is remote at best.
I am not out to bad-mouth the younger generation as a whole. Many, many of you are in a far better situation than I was at your age. But if you have no money in savings and pay for your groceries with a credit card, then you need to take a step back and take a hard look at where you are in life.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #4
captcolour

When the kids were young, bought a Coleman pop-up. Kids had been in every continental US state before graduating high school. Longest trip was 4 weeks and 10,300 miles! Wouldn't trade those days for anything. This time around, wanted something a little more than a pop-up.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I find it disappointing that so many first time campers want to immediately go for all the bells and whistles - overlooking simple pop-up type rigs that could provide so much for so little. At 82 years old, I've owned one or two versions of almost every rig out there sans a 5th wheel. Today, we have a small Class B+ that gets us around to visit the grandchildren - doing most of our camping in our kid's driveways. I can say, without exception, that the happiest camping days of our lives, and those of our three children, were spent in a Starcraft pop-up camper! We even took off one summer and toured over 6,500 miles around the U.S. Check out the concept before you spend $65,000 for a Toad and $50,000 for a travel trailer, or $250,000 for a motorhome. A good SUV, or almost any standard pickup, will do the job, while providing economical day-to-day transportation. I trust that Keystone will not be offended by my suggestions.

This website is not connected to Keystone in any way as noted at the bottom of each page and I'm not aware of any Keystone representative that is a member so post away and not a soul will be offended. You didn't say anything offensive anyway.

You make some good points and I agree. I've had some really memorable experiences in all the RVs we've owned but I think the most "fun" were with the smaller, cheaper units. Of course I think part of that is because the kids were with us and we were thrilled to be able to have anything!

The world is different now and far too many expect "the best" without doing anything to get there. In reality they don't have a clue what they've missed by not working through all those hard but fun times. And "happiness", "having it made" is all the bling and foo fahs vs cutting a stack of wood and sitting beside the fire at night cooking a hot dog or roasting marshmallows. It is actually pretty sad IMO. I think those of us that got to do what you allude to are the ones that had it made.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Personally I think "happiness" is what the individuale makes of his/her situation. Going to bed hungry, not having shoes, not having a roofing over your head to me precludes happiness. Some people are happy with life and some are never happy no matter their status or fortunes. As for the "spoiled generation" look no further than the mirror if you want to place blame for "we" as a generation raised them.

I'll never forget a conversation between 2 of my aunts one summer in WV. It was sometime back in the mid 1960's. Aunt "A" was begining to cook dinner and what a fantastic cook she was! Aunt "B", looking out the window at the mountians stated that she really missed the "good old days". Aunt "A" Said "What's wrong with you? THESE are the good days! She emphatically stated that she didn't want to go back to washing clothes by hand in a wash tub, splitting wood to fuel the stove or spend they day kneeding bread by hand.

My aunt "A" was a homemaker who worked hard tending a garden, cleaning her home, making her cloths, cooking, raising kids. To here vacation was typically spent visiting either or her or her husband's kin. Aunt "B" was very comfortable financially. Always had the best cloths, jewelry, new car, a maid service to clean her house and traveled the world. I guess It's all a matter of perspective.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
dutchmensport

I'm glad folks posted the above comments, because my original thoughts were much more corrosive than these. You guys are too gentle.

To keep this G- rated, suffice it to say, We live in a "Me" generation that want is RIGHT now, and with the ease of instant, seemingly unlimited credit, "they" can get anything they want." OK, I tried to say this nice.

I agree with the original poster. Sometimes the simple is the best. You don't get much more simple than sleeping on bare ground in a sleeping bag beside a motorcycle, renting your first Pop-Up camper, and purchasing your first "family" tent. It was a really BIG event getting our own Pop-Up! And it was a fantastic feeling when it was filly paid for!

Funny though, when we got our first travel trailer, the kids quit camping with us, because they were in high school and had part-time jobs. When we got our first travel trailer, my daughter said, "Dad, you are not camping any more. Why didn't you get this when we were little." To daughter: Because you wanted to eat!
Old 04-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Personally I think "happiness" is what the individuale makes of his/her situation. Going to bed hungry, not having shoes, not having a roofing over your head to me precludes happiness. Some people are happy with life and some are never happy no matter their status or fortunes. As for the "spoiled generation" look no further than the mirror if you want to place blame for "we" as a generation raised them.

I'll never forget a conversation between 2 of my aunts one summer in WV. It was sometime back in the mid 1960's. Aunt "A" was begining to cook dinner and what a fantastic cook she was! Aunt "B", looking out the window at the mountians stated that she really missed the "good old days". Aunt "A" Said "What's wrong with you? THESE are the good days! She emphatically stated that she didn't want to go back to washing clothes by hand in a wash tub, splitting wood to fuel the stove or spend they day kneeding bread by hand.

My aunt "A" was a homemaker who worked hard tending a garden, cleaning her home, making her cloths, cooking, raising kids. To here vacation was typically spent visiting either or her or her husband's kin. Aunt "B" was very comfortable financially. Always had the best cloths, jewelry, new car, a maid service to clean her house and traveled the world. I guess It's all a matter of perspective.

The above in red would be wrong IMO. My DS and DD were raised by pretty much a firebrand....me. I didn't listen to or accept excuses and had very high expectations....and they both met them and more. But....

Well, I was going to expound but found it is impossible to do so without getting political so....I would just say that if you let your kid go on to a school of "higher learning" these days much of that is not "learning" but "indoctrination" so beware...and aware, I was not.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #9
Weldon

The wife and I paid $500 cash for a 1993 Skamper PUP a little over 3 years ago. We previously used a $100 walmart tent, and wanted to see if our kids would actually enjoy camping in the PUP. We let our kids help us "remodel" the PUP and used it a dozen times over the next year. I can't say cranking the PUP up and down each trip was fun, but I really appreciate the buttons on my TT!

Early last year we sold the PUP and went with our current TT. Enough can't be said for a shower, toilet, and bunkbeds for the kids. We have used our TT a dozen times over the past year and have 3 trips planned so far for this year. We will upgrade at some point, but it's not on the immediate horizon.

I may not be a "kid" anymore, but at age 43, I definitely appreciate the dollar, and the work needed to earn it. I started working when i was 14, and haven't stopped. I am by no means bragging, but I was extremely pleased to pay cash for my TV and TT. Yes, I could have financed both that were way nicer, but my TT and TV are what we need now. We are by no means wealthy, but we do pay off our CC's each month, have no car payments, and live within our means. I only say that for this reason: I hope by doing this i am teaching my kids responsible habits so they won't be "those kids" in 4 years when my daughter turns 13 and my son turns 12. God knows we have tried, but raising a kid with all the stuff going on politically, economically, etc. is no pancake.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #10
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Well, I was going to expound but found it is impossible to do so without getting political so........
What you said so eloquently is exactly what I wanted to say with a lot more abrasiveness! You are so correct here.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #11
BigBobIa

Keep it Simple

Love it. 67 and owe on the new to us 39’ 5th wheel and the RAM that pulls it. The half ton of motorcycles it will haul are paid in full.

We definitely live within our means.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #12
fchampneys

Started 45 years ago with a pop-up tent trailer and 5 small children. Kids are grown and kids of their own. My wife and I decided last year as we approached retirement, it is OUR time to have what we want and the way we want it. So a year ago we splurged. A new 1-ton, a new 43' Fuzion 430, and a new Honda Talon SxS, and we haven't looked back. Yep, we went big with all the bells and whistles, and it's all paid for. We will enjoy our retirement in style and comfort. Some people ask, "Why?" I ask, "Why not?" Hope to see many of you down the road.
2019 Honda Talon 1000X
fchampneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #13
bbells

I live in the country and to me popups suck. I can hear everything that goes on in the campground. Impossible to sleep past 6am when the loud families get up. Maybe people in the city can handle the racket because they always have it at home. I will never get another soft sided camper no matter what the rice. Plus, I am finding many campgrounds are now requiring a working bathroom, which very few popups have.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
lloyd

yup ,started with a tent then a popup and now the tt wouldn't miss the memories. in a storm coming up off the lake and my daughter yelling mommy mommy as the wind started to lift the tarp ,such good times
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #15
apachewolf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
But if you have no money in savings and pay for your groceries with a credit card, then you need to take a step back and take a hard look at where you are in life.

I beg to differ here. Once a month I pay my CC in FULL. During the month I use my CC and every time I do I get 1-5% back from the CC bank. My checking account is “loaded” and so is the savings account. At 83 I think I can do what I want as long as I don’t harm or offend anyone else.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
notanlines

Ben, " if you have no money in savings " remember that part? I'm not looking to get into a pissing match with an 83 year old man who has a barrel of money in savings and checking. Get all those bonuses you can. But remember this: That dollar in your pocket is YOUR dollar. You don't owe it to a creditor. All is good...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #17
pdaniel

Quote:
Close to 50 years ago DW and I did our first camping trip-in a 2 person tent.
Next RV was a 1978 18 1/2 foot TT. Hell, we were in heaven.
So over the years we went from that TT to a truck camper back to a tent then back to three travel trailers over the course of ten years.
All had their issues from bad drafts to inadequate heated air flow.
We upgraded to possibly our last RV purchase two years ago. It took us 47 or so years to get here.

My advice to those looking for the first time is rent an RV before dumping 70-100K in a comfortable RV.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #18
LHaven

As I say from time to time, some of us are "campers," and others of us are "travelers." Some of us RV to do the outdoor thing, and others RV to do the faraway-places thing.

DW and I are the latter. We don't yearn to become one with the mosquitos, we yearn to see place X and visit person Y. This year, our outdoor grille turns three, and it's still cherry.

Secondly, a lot of this depends on at what age one gets into RVing. By the time the two of us had reached retirement, one of us was in no shape to curl up on an air mattress or hunker down over a cassette toilet, making the choice for both.

Though people are paying significant bux on RVs this year, in a lot of cases they're not significantly more luxurious than the RVs they bought 30 years ago for a quarter of that -- only the prices have changed, due to supply and demand.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #19
KarenK

When I was a kid we used to tent camp on an island in Canada. Dad would pack a 14 ft. fishing boat with all the gear for 2 wks. before we could get in the boat. As an adult (sort of) did a couple different tents, then a older coleman pop up, when my youngest was 3. Husband came home with an older pickup for a work truck so he wouldn't keep trashing his nice suburban...talked him into getting rid of my honda, letting me drive the old truck so I could get that pop-up. Didn't even care it had no furnace at the time. 5 years later we bought a new small Jayco 5th wheel that I used for 19 years. Few yrs ago got into a used 2006 31 ft Springdale, one that was roomy enough for both of us.
Husband won't do payments on vehicles, toys, or the cabin we built up north, was pay cash as you go. WE have one kid who got in trouble with his credit cards, still not fully convinced he's learned from it. And another kid who refuses to own a credit card. She is buying a house this spring. They were raised the same.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #20
skmct

We started out in a borrowed tent . Bought a new Colman lantern and stove (we still have in working condition). We did this while the kids grew up We did finally buy our own tent. It's all we could afford but we really enjoyed those nights around the camp fire. After the kids left home and the dog died the wife said take me to a hotel I'm done with camping. Well after about 10 years of hotels we are now glamping in our Montana HC and loving a new adventure.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote