Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
She’sCrafty

HELP! No hot water!

I have a 2017 Springdale Polar. I’m fairly familiar with RVs, albeit amateur level. However I’m new to full-time living. Had a gnarly, frigid windstorm last night (Northern Idaho) and woke up to no hot water. I opened the cabinets, I’ve reset all breakers at the interior panel, and I cranked the furnace to circulate heat. Everything I’ve read about my trailer indicates that is no hot water tank/heater; that my trailer is equipped with the six psi water distribution system. But, that doesn’t appear to be the case since I’ve never had a constant flow of hot water, having to fill my bathtub in waves. Does anyone know if there is a pilot light? Is it possible that pipes and or pumps got too cold last night? I’m not sure where to go from here and would appreciate any help.
She’sCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
bobbecky

If you didn't have the furnace running last night, your plumbing probably froze. Hopefully it warms up outside and along with your furnace running you can defrost your pipes enough to get the water flowing. When it gets that cold outside, your furnace is the only way you will get heat into the belly of the trailer to help keep the plumbing from freezing.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
She’sCrafty

Thank you! The furnace was running last night, but intermittently as I didn’t have the thermostat set very high. I just noticed that there is some condensation starting to drip out from the exterior nozzle/opening. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
She’sCrafty

Still no hot water...

It’s warmed up to about 39 here and I still don’t have hot water. Is it time to call a repair man?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
Eastham

If you have cold water coming out of the hot water faucet its probably not a frozen pipe issue..verify that you have water from the cold and hot faucets befor calling a repairman.it might take a while to thaw out if froze.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Because the ambient outside temp is over freezing doesn't mean frozen pipes will thaw right away. I don't know what type water heater your have; you might want to open the outside cover and let folks know what make/model. Is this water heater propane/electric? If so, was it on both propane and electric previously? If on electric, you might want to turn that off till this issue is diagnosed. Turn off the DSI water heater switch on your control panel and turn it back on. Most will show red until the water heater lights. IF the red light doesn't go out, then you may have a frozen propane tank. You might wish to disconnect and bring it into where it is warm. In the future, perhaps some sort of heating pad would help the propane tank from not freezing. If the red light goes out and your water heater propane ignites, open the outside compartment and briefly open the pressure relief valve. It is towards the top in some cases and you should have water come out. If you don't, the supply of water isn't getting to the water heater. Turn off the propane heat. Open the panel inside and find your water heater and make sure the bypass isn't bypassing and water can get in and if it is open then you have a frozen pipe most likely. Is water coming out of your cold spigot?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
She’sCrafty

Yes— cold water is coming out. The info tags state that the manufacturer is Atwood. That correct? The hot water heater is dual (gas & electric). Would the furnace push heat if the tank is frozen? The furnace is running properly...
Old 03-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #8
She’sCrafty

I just turned the pump off, and flipped the electric and gas switch is off then on and… It kicked on! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Old 03-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by She’sCrafty View Post
I just turned the pump off, and flipped the electric and gas switch is off then on and… It kicked on! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Folks have reported that their propane tanks freeze up in real cold temps (I live in S. Texas so seldom see this and not my speciality). Folks can recommend ways to keep your propane tank from freezing that live in NOT TEXAS where the climate isn't so civilized. Glad you have hot water! When it is supposed to freeze, perhaps fill your fresh water tank and disconnect your city water hose and stash it until temps rise. A frozen hose never seems to thaw. They actually sell hoses with heating elements but if your supply hose bib freezes, won't make any difference.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:48 AM   #10
notanlines

What George said is on the money. Tanks/regulators freeze most often with appliances that take larger amounts of propane. LP powered generators and large patio heaters for instance. We have two LP tank heater pads wrapped around the tanks that keep this from happening. I can't say that this might have been your problem, but it is something to think about.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water