Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
Samcintyre

Outlets not working in dinette slideout

The two outlets do not work on my dinette slideout. I’m pretty sure this happened when my cat was chewing on a lamp cord that was plugged in the outlet at the dinette bench seat nearest the door. That outlet no longer works, nor does the one behind the recliners. BUT the lights still work and also the outlet on the far wall near the 2nd recliner still works. We have checked all the breakers and looked high and low to see if there is another fuse or breaker somewhere to no avail. Can anyone give me any advice before I give up and call an RV electrician? Currently we run an extension cord to the outlet on the island so we can use our laptops. So annoying to have that cord in the walkway. PS..cat is fine and we have given him other things to chew on!
Samcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

welcome to the forum.

with on information on what year, what model and what floorplan you have, it's impossible to do anything other than speculate about a couple of general failure possibilities.

First, are all the circuit breakers set? Sometimes, they will trip and "appear to be on" but in reality are not. So, turn all of them off, then back on and see if that helps.

Second, have you crawled under the slide to inspect the exposed wiring? You may find a burned or melted insulation on the wiring from the trailer "main coach" to the "slide"...

I'd suspect that you've tried a known good lamp (that works in another outlet) to verify that the outlets don't have any power ??? I know, simple and almost everybody would have done that, but .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #3
cavie

The outlet at the dinette is on the GFI circuit.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
Sarge2

Yeah I tripped the one in my bathroom and shut off the slide plugs too... so I'd be looking for a tripped GFI plug..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
Samcintyre

I have 5th wheel keystone cougar 369bhs. Yes, I have tried other things in the dinette outlet and it does not work. I have checked all the breakers (even flipped ones that don’t look tripped) and I’ve check the GFI in the bathroom. That outlet still works. I have looked high and low to see if there is another GFI somewhere but can’t find it. The only thing I haven’t done are to look underneath to see if there is anything melted, I have not tried pulling in the slider to see if it has power and I have not called an electrician...yet. Was hoping to troubleshoot as much as possible first.
Samcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #6
cavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcintyre View Post
I have 5th wheel keystone cougar 369bhs. Yes, I have tried other things in the dinette outlet and it does not work. I have checked all the breakers (even flipped ones that don’t look tripped) and I’ve check the GFI in the bathroom. That outlet still works. I have looked high and low to see if there is another GFI somewhere but can’t find it. The only thing I haven’t done are to look underneath to see if there is anything melted, I have not tried pulling in the slider to see if it has power and I have not called an electrician...yet. Was hoping to troubleshoot as much as possible first.
There is a junction box under the trailer the transforms the Romex wiring to a flexible cord to allow the slide to move in and out without damaging the wire. Find that junction box and see if it has power there.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcintyre View Post
The two outlets do not work on my dinette slideout. I’m pretty sure this happened when my cat was chewing on a lamp cord that was plugged in the outlet at the dinette bench seat nearest the door. That outlet no longer works, nor does the one behind the recliners. BUT the lights still work and also the outlet on the far wall near the 2nd recliner still works. We have checked all the breakers and looked high and low to see if there is another fuse or breaker somewhere to no avail. Can anyone give me any advice before I give up and call an RV electrician? Currently we run an extension cord to the outlet on the island so we can use our laptops. So annoying to have that cord in the walkway. PS..cat is fine and we have given him other things to chew on!
If you look up posts from ChuckS you will find one from not long ago about the poor quality of rv outlets...it a simple thing to check if your are proficient with basic electrical repairs.. the outlets are daisy chained together in a circuit..if a wire breaks or comes out of One outlet then all the rest after that one will not be powered..I would shut off all ac power to rv then remove an outlet( of the two that don’t work) and see if it’s broke behind the wall or wire pulled out..then check the other one if that one is good

Tags
dinette, outlets, slide, slideout