Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #21
Bill-2020

George - Tireminder on the trailer. Comes with a small dispaly, solar powered to recharge an internal battery or 12v cord, either/or. Shows all four tires at the same time, all the time. I can see the display and not have to use the phone. The caps screw on, I remove the batteries when not in use. I set the pressures, then screw on the caps. I monitor the psi and temps as we travel. I probably watch too much. OCD. I like it because it does the job I need and was less than half as much money as the other systems. Well over a year now, no failures. When they were used on rubber stems, I placed a thick hard rubber bumper (about 1/4" thick) between the wheel and the sensor with 3M VHB tape. That provided a "wedge" of sorts so the stem didn't bend over while rotating. I have metal stems now.

Javi- these have a locking nut that tightens up behind the sensor to lock them in place. Comes with a special wrench that reaches in behind the sensor to tighten/loosen them.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #22
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you have a TPMS built into the truck why would you want to replace it with an aftermarket TPMS? I like the TST a lot but have always used my factory TPMS on the truck.
Not replace, but supplement. That was my question. So that I can have all the tires on the one monitor, as opposed to fiddling through the truck's menus for one set of seven while the other set of seven is right in front of me, would there be an issue putting the caps on tires with integrated sensors, like battling RF or something?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:38 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know the answer to that exactly. I assume if there would be some sort of interference you would see it with the trailer tires (my system) but I don't. You could always try it and see but that's money out the window if it doesn't work. Someone may have a better answer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Not replace, but supplement. That was my question. So that I can have all the tires on the one monitor, as opposed to fiddling through the truck's menus for one set of seven while the other set of seven is right in front of me, would there be an issue putting the caps on tires with integrated sensors, like battling RF or something?
The "proof is in the pudding" on whether the sensors would interfere with each other. I'd guess they won't have any issues broadcasting "competing" signals. Why not take the caps off a couple of the trailer tires, install them on the truck and see what happens? If they work OK with no issues, then order the 7 replacements and return the two trailer sensors to their "rightful location"...

As for "why use an aftermarket system AND the OEM truck system".. For me, the OEM truck systems do provide pressure information, but they do not provide any temperature monitoring. If I were towing heavy (much heavier than my 10K GVW fifth wheel) I'd consider adding sensors to my tow vehicle tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
George - Tireminder on the trailer. Comes with a small dispaly, solar powered to recharge an internal battery or 12v cord, either/or. Shows all four tires at the same time, all the time. I can see the display and not have to use the phone. The caps screw on, I remove the batteries when not in use. I set the pressures, then screw on the caps. I monitor the psi and temps as we travel. I probably watch too much. OCD. I like it because it does the job I need and was less than half as much money as the other systems. Well over a year now, no failures. When they were used on rubber stems, I placed a thick hard rubber bumper (about 1/4" thick) between the wheel and the sensor with 3M VHB tape. That provided a "wedge" of sorts so the stem didn't bend over while rotating. I have metal stems now.

Javi- these have a locking nut that tightens up behind the sensor to lock them in place. Comes with a special wrench that reaches in behind the sensor to tighten/loosen them.

I was interested when you gave a description but it said application was for trailer 25' or less. My 5th wheel is 28' and my truck is about as long as there is for a 1 ton.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

After a few minutes of checking, seems a larger camper needs a repeater aka booster. I don't feel like swapping to metal valve stems and these sensors can be used on rubber valve stems. I guess the repeater aka booster would go up into the front compartment where the landing gear and battery is on my camper. There is only the composition door between it and the truck. Same package is available on amazon at the same price. Whatcha think?
https://www.etrailer.com/TPMS-Sensor...er/TM89FR.html

I wondered why folks talked about theft deterring features on the sensors and a pair of extra sensors is about $80 on etrailer.com so if I wanted to add them for my truck at some point $160 more but doubt I will go there right now.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #27
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I was interested when you gave a description but it said application was for trailer 25' or less. My 5th wheel is 28' and my truck is about as long as there is for a 1 ton.
I wasn’t thinking about that - mine has a signal repeater/booster attached next to the house battery. That’s too bad, George. But if your axles are about half the distance up you’re really not at 25’. My Passport is 29 overall... Or maybe they have that figured into it. I see it’s on Amazon for $136. I think that’s less than I paid. I had a question about the system and I called their tech support before I bought it, try calling and asking about true transmit distance. Maybe the 25 foot thing is a CYA statement.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
After a few minutes of checking, seems a larger camper needs a repeater aka booster. I don't feel like swapping to metal valve stems and these sensors can be used on rubber valve stems. I guess the repeater aka booster would go up into the front compartment where the landing gear and battery is on my camper. There is only the composition door between it and the truck. Same package is available on amazon at the same price. Whatcha think?
https://www.etrailer.com/TPMS-Sensor...er/TM89FR.html

I wondered why folks talked about theft deterring features on the sensors and a pair of extra sensors is about $80 on etrailer.com so if I wanted to add them for my truck at some point $160 more but doubt I will go there right now.
My Tire Mionder doesn't need a signal booster and my unit is a 36' travel trailer. The truck is a super Cab (1/2 doors in the back) and an 8' bed with a fiberglass cap. So my trailer tires are a long way away from the receiver but have never had an issue loosing the signal.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Bill and Marshall, I think the solar powered TireMinder system wouldn't work for me as my tires are LRE and inflated to 80 PSI. I think I will stick with the 4 sending with the

unit I am asking Santa for. Rated to 99 PSI and the booster may or may not be needed but I will have one if it is.

Monitors 4 tires from 0 to 70 psi, designed for trailers 25ft or less
Old 11-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

George, hope Santa brings ya want ya want! I got a lump of coal in my stocking last year.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #31
Tireman9

1. Yes get a TPMS as they are designed to warn of air loss, even when moving which you cannot get if you only check your tires at rest stops.
2. I bought TireTraker in '09 and used ever since with no problems.
3. I did a long term, direct comparison of TireTraker and TST internal system and published the results on my RV Tire Safety blog. I have not seen anyone else do a direct comparison of any other brands of TPMS
4. I like the Lifetime warranty

5. $200 for set of 4 including signal booster.
6. Yes you should run metal valve stems with any brand external screw on system
7. TPMS eliminates the need to get out, down on your knees to check air each morning. When I get up I turn on the TPMS, get my coffee and then check the pressure readings.
8. I suggest the low pressure warning be set to your goal morning cold inflation - 5 psi. Your High pressure warning be set to your goal pressure + 25%. The high Temp warning can be the factory 158F.
9. Carry a couple spare batteries (only a few bucks) and if you get a Lost signal warning, you can simply replace the battery at your next stop.
10 What ever you but I would not get from ebay or Amazon or big box store as they will not have any support if you ever need it.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #32
pdaniel

I have the “Tire Minder” TPMS on my 5th wheel. Valve-stem mounted. Good system, but, pricey in the $300.00 range for four transmitters, repeater and receiver. I use a smartphone app rather than buying the monitor.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #33
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
TST 507, used it on all 10 tires on the dually & 5th wheel. The batteries are user changeable, no booster needed, with great customer service & has it's own monitor.
That’s the one we use. We are getting a new gmc that coming with the trailer monitor and finally GM put tire pressure monitor in the 1 tons.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #34
pstltaz

I have a GUTA tpms with it's own monitor. Screw on valve stem type. Easy to use and setup. Common battery (cr2032). Came with 6 sensors. Love it.
pstltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #35
Gunny Mike

After getting a flat on our last trip for 2019, getting a TPMS was a must buy for us for the 2020 season. Having an air compressor with us also became a must have on any trip. I just screwed mine on without the anti theft device as I wanted to be able to quickly take them and off when I'm filling the tires. I have a booster on mine as I'm 39'. One thing I do hate is my first reading when I hook up reveals the pressures from my last trip and when my compressor is loaded and I'm buckled up for the trip, I get a reading to add air. I like to keep about 75PSI in them so when they heat up they are around 80PSI.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:13 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
After getting a flat on our last trip for 2019, getting a TPMS was a must buy for us for the 2020 season. Having an air compressor with us also became a must have on any trip. I just screwed mine on without the anti theft device as I wanted to be able to quickly take them and off when I'm filling the tires. I have a booster on mine as I'm 39'. One thing I do hate is my first reading when I hook up reveals the pressures from my last trip and when my compressor is loaded and I'm buckled up for the trip, I get a reading to add air. I like to keep about 75PSI in them so when they heat up they are around 80PSI.
You are running your tires underinflated. If the indicated psi on the sidewall is 80 then that's the COLD inflation pressure. The tire is designed to run with an increase in pressure from temperature.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #37
Javi

Finally convinced myself to pull the trigger on the TST Color 6 cap system from E-Trailer they had about the best price I found $452.96 including shipping..
Old 12-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Finally convinced myself to pull the trigger on the TST Color 6 cap system from E-Trailer they had about the best price I found $452.96 including shipping..

Congrats Javi, I think you will like it. One thing that I found when upgrading to the color monitor is that the color unit does not have the reception of the old unit. I talked to TST and the confirmed that the new ones needed the repeater. I just mounted mine in the front bay on the wall behind the batteries with a cut off switch. Works fine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #39
Blue

I'm new to this and just bought a used 2015 Cougar XLite 26 RLS. I've decided to by new Goodyear tires because the unit had its original tires. Can these TPMS work on the 5th wheel tires? When I look at descriptions on Amazon a lot say not suitable for RV or trailer use.
I'm mainly interested in a TPMS to alert me to a blowout on the 5th wheel. Are they worth it?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #40
Mmeyer

Yes they will work with a 5 th wheel. I don’t have the TPMS,, I have the EEztire but I think they all are similar. I think they are nice to have you can see what is happening while traveling down the road. I suggest installing metal valve stems.
Reese goose box
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote