Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #41
jasin1

I’m planning on staying at campgrounds now. It’s not the cost of campgrounds that was making me consider sleeping in Walmart’s. I was trying to keep moving to get south quicker. I just spent around $1200 for an inverter and batteries just for rest stops. I just need to slow down a little and enjoy the whole process and not try to skip ahead to the “good parts” I do a lot of things on the spur of the moment and while its made life interesting for me.....sometimes I think my wife would prefer a slower pace. Although she is right there by my side no matter what adventure me or my kids come up with. And thanks again for all the suggestions.
I do like the motion light ideas
Old 11-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
I’m planning on staying at campgrounds now. It’s not the cost of campgrounds that was making me consider sleeping in Walmart’s. I was trying to keep moving to get south quicker. I just spent around $1200 for an inverter and batteries just for rest stops. I just need to slow down a little and enjoy the whole process and not try to skip ahead to the “good parts” I do a lot of things on the spur of the moment and while its made life interesting for me.....sometimes I think my wife would prefer a slower pace. Although she is right there by my side no matter what adventure me or my kids come up with. And thanks again for all the suggestions.

As I've mentioned I have never considered staying in a Walmart parking lot and I've never seen one that would offer a one off, never seen, experience. You can get that at an established campground and actually meet some very interesting folks that actually expand your thoughts of folks.

The only difference between trying to stay in a Walmart and a nice campground is planning and money. I like planning and knowing what I'm getting into (I talk to any park before I stay there) and the cost is not a consideration. Sounds like you are formulating a plan and I hope you get it all set up and have a great time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #43
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
"It's illegal to sleep overnight at rest stops in Florida, not that authorities would recommend doing so. In other nearby states, it may not necessarily be illegal to park overnight at a rest area, but many have signs warning against it.
Really?! I live in FL and have stopped many times in the middle of the night to use the facilities (not towing) and all those cars and trucks idling and sleepers full of drivers. I’m unaware of this law and I’ll look it up. DW’s father used to sleep at them when between home and his destination. Some also have signs that state “Overnight Security” for the rest stop.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #44
rlh1957

Quote:
I am planning on heading south in a couple of weeks. Was thinking about how secure my TV will be in Walmart parking lot or rest stop if I try and get some sleep. I was planning on harvest host at first but really want to just get as far south as I can quickly. Going to make sure bikes and things in bed of truck are chained up but wondering about others experience with this.
We prefer the free parking at Cracker Barrel. They usually don’t have the drive thru cruising like high profile at a Walmart.

Tell your intended route here and others can chime in with thoughts on a particular Walmart. Some Walmart’s (even if parking is allowed) aren’t good places.

Most TA & Loves Truck Stops allow free overnight parking.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #45
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

All I can say is, RVing isn't for the weak.
If you're afraid of your your shadow, then maybe you should stay home.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #46
rlh1957

We run our gen in back of Cracker Barrel. Sometimes other rigs are there as well.
Several occasions when we have seen other rig owners we’ve told them we’d be running our gen but please come tell us or text our number if it was too loud once they settled in.

Now that we have 600AH Battle Born battery bank and 3000Watt inverter we don’t need gen much at night.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #47
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
But you surely shouldn’t have to be looking over your shoulder.

If your traveling with young children, you owe it to them to insure a safe, secure place to sleep. I am definitely not afraid of my shadow, but I choose not to put my self and family in what I feel is a “sketchy” situation and that’s why I choose to stay in campgrounds.

“Comfort level” is a personal choice and I respect anybody’s choice. I wouldn’t tell anybody to “stay home”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:31 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Sounds like you miss the mark. RVing is for anyone that has the time and money. Weak? Not sure what that has to do with it. Afraid of your shadow? Well, I don't like Walmarts and truck parking lots for the reasons I've stated many times before. Afraid of my shadow....you don't know me or anyone else like me. Being cautious or taking precautions does not mean weak or afraid.....
Old 11-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #49
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sounds like you miss the mark. RVing is for anyone that has the time and money. Weak? Not sure what that has to do with it. Afraid of your shadow? Well, I don't like Walmarts and truck parking lots for the reasons I've stated many times before. Afraid of my shadow....you don't know me or anyone else like me. Being cautious or taking precautions does not mean weak or afraid.....
Hmm. Sounds like I've touched a nerve.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Not a nerve here. Just figure all encompassing categorizations of folks based on ??? and a lack of exposure to the world is not really warranted.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #51
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
If that was your intent then you are trolling. If it wasn't your intent then you should rethink "painting with such a broad brush" when referencing a segment of the population.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #52
Vinnie

Working almost my entire career on the graveyard shift, often assigned to the interstates in CA with decent rest areas, I always got that feeling in the pit of my stomach when we got a call to one of them. Weird stuff going on overnight in them parking lots. I'd patrol them as often as I could, and almost every time at least one car would either leave or go dark when the black & white rolls in. Granted, I get there's plenty of truckers that like their "nightcaps" and their "company," but I wouldn't necessarily intentionally plant my family in that environment when there's other options.

Same vibe to an extent in Walmart lots, but those tend less trucker-ey and more neighborhood-tweekers-being-morons-ey. There's typically better lighting in those lots, however. Ended more than a few pursuits or manhunts in a Walmart lot, but I'm thinking my examples are more the exception than the rule. Then again, when you're traveling, you don't necessarily know the neighborhood where you're overnighting.

Take only the risks you're willing to submit your most-loved people to. I'll take risks when I'm alone that I wouldn't with my family, and I think we're all a bit like that.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #53
jasin1

Quote:

I worked alone in the worst sections of Baltimore City for a lot of years. I’m not afraid of my own shadow. I was merely asking about security for things like generators and bikes. But thanks for your contribution to the post...
Old 11-16-2020, 02:40 AM   #54
notanlines

Quote:

Mark, that statement seemed a little harsh, even to me. Choosing to stay in RV parks rather than in Wal-marts would hardly constitute 'afraid.' Being cautious and looking both ways before crossing a street wouldn't denote 'afraid.' You see where I'm going with this?
On the other hand, put a set of Trailer Kings on my rig and all of a sudden 'scared of my own shadow."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:56 AM   #55
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Whoa Nellie!

My apology to any offended by my comment.
I was just using a common phrase to inject some humor. It was meant to be similar to "having children isn't for the weak" or "marriage isn't for the weak."

RVing has its challenges. And yes I have been out there long enough to see some poor souls that don't have the resourcefulness nor the aptitude needed to be an RVer. You've got to admit, it's a house on wheels. Things will happen. Situations will occur.

I'll admit to being a "security nerd." I've even slept with the blinds open so I could see our truck.
This is why I installed the motion sensor alarm on our rig.

And bjasin1, to respond to your question about securing your things, if you decide to secure your bikes and stuff, it's better to use chain than any of the bicycle cable locks. I have cut those off with my electrician wire strippers. Chains can be cut with bolt cutters, so use chain heavy enough that it can only be cut with the very large bolt cutter that can't be hidden under a jacket.
You're not going to make it theft proof. You can only do the best you can.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:34 AM   #56
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Every Walmart in Oregon that allows overnighters has all to mostly homeless in ruin down RVs. If you watch in the daytime many become beggars holding signs asking for money at the intersections some even walk around the lots bugging shoppers. These are not beggars that fled the dust bowl to seek out a good life somewhere else. Dysfunctional people, Alcoholics and druggies. That's Oregon other areas could be different. Not a place for me or my family.
Now that Oregon has legalized every hard drug in the dictionary, this problem will either solve itself the Darwin way or get worse, depending on who you ask. Frankly, I'm curious to see the experiment play out, given that it won't affect me either way.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:37 AM   #57
jasin1

Quote:
Whoa Nellie!

My apology to any offended by my comment.
I was just using a common phrase to inject some humor. It was meant to be similar to "having children isn't for the weak" or "marriage isn't for the weak."

RVing has its challenges. And yes I have been out there long enough to see some poor souls that don't have the resourcefulness nor the aptitude needed to be an RVer. You've got to admit, it's a house on wheels. Things will happen. Situations will occur.

I'll admit to being a "security nerd." I've even slept with the blinds open so I could see our truck.
This is why I installed the motion sensor alarm on our rig.

And bjasin1, to respond to your question about securing your things, if you decide to secure your bikes and stuff, it's better to use chain than any of the bicycle cable locks. I have cut those off with my electrician wire strippers. Chains can be cut with bolt cutters, so use chain heavy enough that it can only be cut with the very large bolt cutter that can't be hidden under a jacket.
You're not going to make it theft proof. You can only do the best you can.
No worries....thanks!
Old 11-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #58
jimborokz

Quote:
I think you're getting the right idea now. I used to try and get as far as I could each day. Now we plan things out more. We travel north and south each year (snowbirds) I make overnight reservations and plan to drive 250 to 300 mi/day. Often we don't even unhook if it's a level site.

One Walmart story though. Couple years ago we got stuck leaving one site and had to get roadside assistance to get out. That put us behind schedule and it was going to be a long day anyway, 400mi. Well it got kind of late and DW found a Walmart close to Interstate and when we got there they had closed so I couldn't ask if overnight was OK. There was a TT and MH there so I figure it was good. I was just about to dress for bed when a knock at the door. Oh boy I'm thinking, we're being evicted. Well it was a trucker That had just delivered and had a single case of frozen shrimp left over and didn't want to run his reefer all night just for that and did I want it. I had to move the kitchen slide out to access the freezer but was happy to do so. Right place, right time? Providence? I don't know. Not a bad experience though.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #59
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I think you're getting the right idea now. I used to try and get as far as I could each day. Now we plan things out more. We travel north and south each year (snowbirds) I make overnight reservations and plan to drive 250 to 300 mi/day. Often we don't even unhook if it's a level site.

One Walmart story though. Couple years ago we got stuck leaving one site and had to get roadside assistance to get out. That put us behind schedule and it was going to be a long day anyway, 400mi. Well it got kind of late and DW found a Walmart close to Interstate and when we got there they had closed so I couldn't ask if overnight was OK. There was a TT and MH there so I figure it was good. I was just about to dress for bed when a knock at the door. Oh boy I'm thinking, we're being evicted. Well it was a trucker That had just delivered and had a single case of frozen shrimp left over and didn't want to run his reefer all night just for that and did I want it. I had to move the kitchen slide out to access the freezer but was happy to do so. Right place, right time? Providence? I don't know. Not a bad experience though.
Man that’s a nice surprise!
Old 11-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #60
crk112

I've stayed "overnight" in several campgrounds that wound up being just as loud as a rest stop or truck stop either from highway noise, busy train tracks, and even an airport. Proximity to these types of things would be a good point of consideration when choosing an overnight campground, sometimes worth a quick glance at the map.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote