Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2020, 06:42 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Nellie, that don't come with a new trailer.....even if they say they will repair it. It's a nice rig but....it wants to go back IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #22
nellie1289

Ok so their is no discoloration it is perfectly glossy. The reflection you see is the sky and trees. It’s a little damp as I toweled it and immediately took a picture when I saw it out of frustration. Nobody touched or tried to repair this it’s perfectly glossy all around it. It’s not as big as the pic looks. Like maybe an inch. For all I know this could of occurred in the 1000 mile drive home from the dealer in Billings Montana. I have no idea. I didn’t see it in delivery. But it’s also 13 feet off the ground and hard to see that high.

While I appreciate the take it back. Return it. All that stuff those are realistically not options until I can get it into my local dealer for a potential fix.

Also it’s in covered storage. No water damage is going to occur. It was dry the whole way home.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
Ok so their is no discoloration it is perfectly glossy. The reflection you see is the sky and trees. It’s a little damp as I toweled it and immediately took a picture when I saw it out of frustration. Nobody touched or tried to repair this it’s perfectly glossy all around it. It’s not as big as the pic looks. Like maybe an inch. For all I know this could of occurred in the 1000 mile drive home from the dealer in Billings Montana. I have no idea. I didn’t see it in delivery. But it’s also 13 feet off the ground and hard to see that high.

While I appreciate the take it back. Return it. All that stuff those are realistically not options until I can get it into my local dealer for a potential fix.

Also it’s in covered storage. No water damage is going to occur. It was dry the whole way home.
Any good glass man can fix the crack and pretty much match the finish but I doubt you'll ever be happy about buying a busted up trailer. I know I dang sure would not.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #24
nellie1289

Appreciate all the feedback here. Keep it coming. I don’t have any problems with anything said here. I guess we have to assess significance. If there was a tear in roof. A broken door. A bent axle. A broken window. What makes you say that can’t be fixed. These are rolling assets. Big. Lots of complexity. Have had bunch of trailers. They all have some issues. That’s why these forums exist. If they were all perfect and we all knew how to use them we wouldn’t need the forum. I would appreciate anyone that has had fiberglass issues to weigh in. I am happy with the location it’s at anyway. It could be way worse
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 11-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #25
BeagleMan

Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback here. Keep it coming. I don’t have any problems with anything said here. I guess we have to assess significance. If there was a tear in roof. A broken door. A bent axle. A broken window. What makes you say that can’t be fixed. These are rolling assets. Big. Lots of complexity. Have had bunch of trailers. They all have some issues. That’s why these forums exist. If they were all perfect and we all knew how to use them we wouldn’t need the forum. I would appreciate anyone that has had fiberglass issues to weigh in. I am happy with the location it’s at anyway. It could be way worse
Best attitude of the day, right there...^^^^^^^^^^^^
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #26
Javi

It's your money, not mine; I'll shut up now.

Adios Vaya con Dios
Old 11-03-2020, 02:34 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I am pretty much in agreement with Javi, rain is coming and that is a decent sized crack.
Make that 3 of us.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #28
notanlines

All repair actions aside, I'd be WAY more concerned over WHY it cracked than if it is repaired. Yes, a good glass man (or woman) can do a great job at repair, but I want to know why it cracked.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #29
purebred

Good ole quality control strikes again. Just get it fixed, move on and enjoy it.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:23 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
All repair actions aside, I'd be WAY more concerned over WHY it cracked than if it is repaired. Yes, a good glass man (or woman) can do a great job at repair, but I want to know why it cracked.
Good point, I agree. Just fixing it may not prevent another crack.

Nellie: keep in mind your local dealer may elect not to look at or offer any repair. They are not obligated to do anything....just sayin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #31
purebred

It definitely looks like it cracked before the roofing material was put on to me. Could have been caused by the trim piece put on or it simply could have been cracked and put on anyway. With the trim piece in place it's hard to determine the extent. I guess like others have said it boils down to getting someone to fix it plus seeing the extent of the crack. Also Like others have said a good fiberglass person could make it look good. It all depends what's underneath it.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #32
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Good point, I agree. Just fixing it may not prevent another crack.

Nellie: keep in mind your local dealer may elect not to look at or offer any repair. They are not obligated to do anything....just sayin.
Chuckster I beleive this to be totally false, I actually reached out to keystone before buying it, as I have seen this stated several times. Here is what I got back.

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. If you decide to purchase a new unit out of your state, you don’t have to take it back to the dealership where you purchased it from for warranty as any authorized keystone dealership in your local area will assist you with any warranty issues or concerns you may be having. If you have any other questions or concerns please contact us at 866-425-4369.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 11-03-2020, 08:08 AM   #33
nellie1289

i uploaded a slightly better picture taken a little farther back. that reflection is the sky and trees.

2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 11-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #34
travelin texans

Quote:
Chuckster I beleive this to be totally false, I actually reached out to keystone before buying it, as I have seen this stated several times. Here is what I got back.

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. If you decide to purchase a new unit out of your state, you don’t have to take it back to the dealership where you purchased it from for warranty as any authorized keystone dealership in your local area will assist you with any warranty issues or concerns you may be having. If you have any other questions or concerns please contact us at 866-425-4369.
Yep! That's correct, just as soon as they are caught with the warranty work on ALL the units they sold then they'll try to work you in........in 6-8 months.
As Chuckster said "they are NOT obligated to do any warranty work on units not sold by them".
You may want to put that phone number on speed dial & copy of that dialogue so it's handy when you try having work done somewhere besides where you purchased the rv & see how far that gets you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:25 AM   #35
notanlines

Nellie, Chuckster has many years as a tech in dealerships. He isn’t here to hand you a line about this. Members here totaling hundreds of RV’s and years of RV ownership telling you “they don’t HAVE to work on it if they don’t feel like it.” I hope he doesn’t get the big head over this, but I don’t remember him being wrong.
I sincerely hope you get this resolved. And I hope your local guys handle it. It could happen!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #36
purebred

Quote:

Nellie keep us informed.We bought new in Georgetown Texas and went to Yuma for awhile. I didn't have any problems with a Keystone dealer there addressing a problem I had. And this was with the so called pandemic going on.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

I would keep that email handy but as has been expressed, that doesn't state "in a timely manner". My guess is that's Keystone's leagales for "yes, we do have have country wide warranty service". But that's strictly a guess on my part.

As for the repair (if outside of Keystone's warranty process) I wouldn't rule out a boat repair service. Typically they work with fiberglass and gelcoat and make "house calls" as large boats aren't easily transported. My concern would be they why as well. Would be a shame to waste the money, and time (if it's on Keystone's dime) for it to happen again a few mont6hs down calaendar.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #38
nellie1289

Seems to me keystone would likely blow up these sort of dealerships for doing this to customers.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 11-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

when you think about it there is absolutely no incentive for Keystone to operate in any other fashion. The only interest Keystone has is to sell trailers. They don't care if you buy it from a mile away or 3,000 miles away. They also are not concerned with customer service as that has not affected their sales in any significant way.

The ONLY influence you have is to not support them by purchasing their product. Unfortunately, their competitors in the same price range are pretty much the same so there's not much in the way of choice.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #40
Javi

Quote:
Seems to me keystone would likely blow up these sort of dealerships for doing this to customers.
These dealers are not franchises, they are independent entities who sell certain Keystone products. Unless it has changed since I was involved in the business, the only control Keystone maintains is which models within the line any dealers within the same area might stock.

This isn't unique to Keystone or Thor, this is the prevalent business practice. Many dealers will look you square in the eye and tell you.. I will not touch your trailer as a warranty item, you didn't buy it from me..

That doesn't mean they won't work on it... just not as a warranty item.

This is why I tell folks who buy from another area to find an Independent RV tech who is able to do warranty work for most of the manufacturers of the items in the trailer..

Your case is different because it is something that is actually warrantied by Keystone, unlike any other part of the trailer..

Even the frame is actually not warrantied by Keystone, but by Lippert. Keystone would only act as intermediary between you and Lippert in the event of frame issues.

This is also why several of us have recommended taking it back to the dealer you bought it from. Or at least (I believe) you will need to work through them to reach a solution.

My concern isn't being able to fix it; as I stated any good glass person (for PC) can fix the crack.. it is the underlying cause that I would be concerned about... Like I said... new trailer or money back..

This was against my better judgement but I felt it needed to be said and now I am gone..

Good luck..

Tags
montana