Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Your rust is typical for most any RV that has been towed on wet, salted roads. Use a pressure washer, clean the underside of your trailer, let it dry and then spray with Fluid Film. The rust will stop and probably "fall off" over time, leaving a clean, metal surface.

Yes, the last photo is a propane quick disconnect fitting. The zip tie on it "once had the safe use tag" giving instructions on how to use the "nearly hidden shutoff valve"... When the quick disconnect is connected, you will need to also turn the valve to ON to get gas flow. Remember to turn the valve to OFF before you disconnect the QD fitting.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #22
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your rust is typical for most any RV that has been towed on wet, salted roads. Use a pressure washer, clean the underside of your trailer, let it dry and then spray with Fluid Film. The rust will stop and probably "fall off" over time, leaving a clean, metal surface.

Yes, the last photo is a propane quick disconnect fitting. The zip tie on it "once had the safe use tag" giving instructions on how to use the "nearly hidden shutoff valve"... When the quick disconnect is connected, you will need to also turn the valve to ON to get gas flow. Remember to turn the valve to OFF before you disconnect the QD fitting.

Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #23
BeagleMan

Quote:

Do I need some kind of long hose to fit in that to reach the Blackstone?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

You will need a hose long enough to go from that quick fitting to where the grill will set. There are two sizes of quick disconnects, 1/4" & 3/8". The 1/4" will have an open male connector. The 3/8" male connection will have a bar on the tip.

Just Google lp extension hose and you'll find many lengths and options for the fitting sizes.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #25
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You will need a hose long enough to go from that quick fitting to where the grill will set. There are two sizes of quick disconnects, 1/4" & 3/8". The 1/4" will have an open male connector. The 3/8" male connection will have a bar on the tip.

Just Google lp extension hose and you'll find many lengths and options for the fitting sizes.
Found a bunch on Amazon. DOZYANT and good brand? 12 foot be enough?
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Found a bunch on Amazon. DOZYANT and good brand? 12 foot be enough?
Not familiar with the brand. The length is dependent on where you want to set your grill. I would think 12' would be plenty but again, it depends how how you want to use it.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #27
BeagleMan

Quote:
Not familiar with the brand. The length is dependent on where you want to set your grill. I would think 12' would be plenty but again, it depends how how you want to use it.
I looked on Blackstone site and although, they are sold out, theirs is just a 3 foot deal. SMH. I'll do what the DW does....Read the reviews.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I looked on Blackstone site and although, they are sold out, theirs is just a 3 foot deal. SMH. I'll do what the DW does....Read the reviews.
There are many places that sell the extension hoses like etrailer.com, rvupgrades.com, camping world, and many others. You also don't have to use one hose. I keep about three of them in my storage bin. I think I have two 6' and one 3'. They can be "daisy chained" together.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

You don't want 3', it will literally stick you right on the side of the trailer - not good - I've seen those from Blackstone. I carry a spare 20lb. tank for the Blackstone so I can position it anywhere I want in the campsite.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #30
Javi

I carry two 10'
Old 10-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #31
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You don't want 3', it will literally stick you right on the side of the trailer - not good - I've seen those from Blackstone. I carry a spare 20lb. tank for the Blackstone so I can position it anywhere I want in the campsite.
Now that I would do. That quick connect is waaaaay under the trailer. I might just end up doing this.
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Now that I would do. That quick connect is waaaaay under the trailer. I might just end up doing this.
My quick connect was also "nearly 2' under the rear of the trailer"... I unscrewed the QD, installed a 1/2" elbow and a 18" section of black iron pipe and reinstalled the QD on that. Now, my LPG QD is where I want it and "just under the edge of the trailer J-wrap.... It's easy to move things around under the trailer, just park the trailer on a concrete surface, lay back on a creeper and push yourself under the trailer, looking up, and study what you see, make some plans on what might "work better for you".... Then sleep on it for a night or two, crawl back under the trailer and "confirm your plans"... If it's still a go, then head to the hardware store to get what you need to "make things right"...

The reason for "sleeping on the plans" for a couple nights is to give your "emotional desires" time to mature into "real plans".... in other words, think about what you want to do and make sure it's what you "really" want to do....

Then, "just do it"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

^^ Completely agree. I've printed out my floor plan and used it as a "sketch pad" several times along with taking phone pics of the area. Typically I didn't go with my original plan but found a way to improve it.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #34
BeagleMan

Quote:
^^ Completely agree. I've printed out my floor plan and used it as a "sketch pad" several times along with taking phone pics of the area. Typically I didn't go with my original plan but found a way to improve it.
Thats a great idea!! Thank you!
Roll Tide Roll
Old 10-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #35
dutchmensport

Skipping over some of the comments here, but .... rust?

Every camper (except the one I have now), has had exposed rust. The worst was my Keystone Springdale, we purchased new, but it was a year sitting on the dealer's lot. Lots of rust under it on the frame, the gas line, metal parts, everything.

Well, I learned something that year. Old fashioned Rust-o-lium works as good as anything you can buy. I literally, repainted everything under that trailer. I used black gloss, both the brush type in a can, and spray paint. It actually took 2 years to get it all covered, as the first year, I missed some spots and it took a while for the missed spots to be seen. Most of them were in deep crevice's, or places not easily accessible. So, the second time around, I focused on just those spots and the job wasn't so overwhelming them.

We had that trailer for 8 years total, and when we traded it, there was still no rust showing under the trailer. Poking around with a metal pick on some of it, and everything was solid.

Rust-o-lium has a rust inhibitor in it. It will stop rust from continuing to grow and it will penetrate through loose rust and protect the unaffected metal underneath it.

The next camper was a Keystone Outback and the frame was exposed. I used black Rust-o-lium again and just spot spray painted affected areas. I sprayed the gas pipe just a few days after taking delivery and it never rusted the whole time we owned that camper.

My current camper (Montana High Country fifth wheel), has a completely enclosed under belly. I can't see any of the frame work, except at the wheel wells. And the very first thing I did when taking delivery was to spray paint that portion of the exposed frame.

Since then, there are some minor parts that are rusting, that I just haven't got around to repainting; like the hangers for the sewer pipes.

Personally, I'm sold on good old fashioned Rust-o-lium and the "Professional" spray can is even better.

And oh ... a tip for anyone who is experiencing faded color on those vinyl propane tank covers on the tongue of your travel trailer? Professional Rust-o-lium spray paint in a color that will compliment your camper is fantastic. My Keystone Outback tanks faded horrible after 2 years. I sprayed them with a brown. And they popped! again! I didn't touch them again. 3 years later when we traded campers, they still looked good. Just an FYI if your's is looks poorly.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #36
Mikelff

Quote:
One more thing, since I have pics now. What is this yellow thing? Some kind of propane quick connect? If so, what would I need to connect that to my Blackstone? Thanks, guys...

Yes, I believe that is a propane connection. Remember, the majority of RV propane systems are LOW pressure systems. Unless your appliance is build for an RV, or is a low pressure appliance, it will not work off the RV propane system. That is why most RV’s have a “dual” propane regulator. It basically converts the high pressure from your tank to a low pressure feed to your RV.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #37
Mikelff

Quote:
You can find Fluid Film at nearly any auto parts store, at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-TP...1744516&sr=8-8 or even in most "farm/fleet stores". On Amazon, you have several buying choices. The link above is for 3 cans/$31. That's about $11 a can. If you buy a single can on Amazon, it's almost $17. I buy it at Family Farm for $9 a can. I use it on both the car and truck, my boat trailer, all my utility trailers, the tractor and the Cougar. We had one of the "few rust free 2008 Escapes" in this area.

No doubt there are other "equally effective products" on the market, I stumbled upon Fluid Film when Ziebart closed their Marquette, MI location back in the early 70's and have been using it ever since.

Ironically, the winter we spent in south Texas at Surfside Beach, directly on the Gulf, we had the only trailer without "rust on the steps".
I am assuming this product will penetrate the rust and stop further rust? If so, I’ll definitely have to get some. How much coverage do you get out of a can? Will be helpful to know so I know how much to get. Have a boat trailer that can use a good dose of the stuff as well as my 5er. Thanks!!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I am assuming this product will penetrate the rust and stop further rust? If so, I’ll definitely have to get some. How much coverage do you get out of a can? Will be helpful to know so I know how much to get. Have a boat trailer that can use a good dose of the stuff as well as my 5er. Thanks!!
I use two cans to do my truck and car (F250 and Edge) and usually have enough left over to not want to throw the can away. I also use about 1 1/2 cans on the trailer.

You can get all the information you'll need on the fluid film website: https://www.fluid-film.com/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS