Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
SRD

Waste tank drain issue

Recently when I go to drain my tanks and take the cap off I get about a half gallon of wastewater come out. Both levers are pushed in all the way still happens. We have never put solid waste in the black tank and no one else has owned the trailer. Never have used the black tank flush because no solids in the tank. Camper will soon be four years old.Any suggestions?
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your sure your valves are closed and they are leaking, then you probably need to replace the seals. The seals are on each side of the blade and replacements are readily available. You just need to know what brand and size.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #3
LewisB

Even though you haven't put solids in your black tank, it is possible there might be some minor materials from the initial construction inside the tank. On the other hand, a "1/2 gallon" of leakage is not that unusual. If the unit sits unused for extended periods, the seals may just let that much by. As Chuck points out, the valve seals themselves are cheap and easy to replace - the problem is GETTING to them can be a major project. You will either have to cut access holes in your underbelly coroplast, or remove a significant portion of that underbelly to access the valves. Before I did that, I'd try the following:
  1. Thoroughly flush the system. Nearly fill your tanks, hook up the black tank flush system, open the tank dump valve, turn on the black flush, and let it run. You want to try to "flood" that disposal pipe with as much water as possible.
  2. Then, install a "last chance" valve just ahead of the cap on your 3" dump line. You can either cut the existing line and plumb in a new 3" valve, or use a Valterra twist lock type valve, add it to the end of your pipe, then the cap. The idea with this valve is that any leakage from either tank valve will still be contained when you remove the cap. This is useful for more than just leaking tank valves (like the time I forgot to close the tank valve, and subsequently pulled the cap off and dumped the entire black tank on myself and the concrete around the dump station. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think you may find that a small amount of "leakage" by on the tank valves is really not a big issue. JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
travelin texans

I still have a hard time understanding why some folks buy a rv then don't use the toilet (some don't use the shower either) as it was designed to be used, save money & buy a pop-up or a tent.
I paid for a rv so I'd have all the conveniences of home & didn't have to go elsewhere to do my business. Curious do they use the facilities at home, go elsewhere or have an outhouse.
I understand it's a sh###y job, probably the worst part of rving, but if careful & pay attention it's not that bad & I guarantee everyone has the same bodily function.

As to the OP, some rvs can have a couple feet of 3" piping after the valves with twist/turns that can hold liquid then while traveling it works to the cap.
Pickup a cap with water hose attachment on it & remove that small cap over the open hose before removing the 3" cap, lot smaller stream to deal with.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:37 AM   #5
purebred

Same problem

I had the same problem with excess liquid when removing the sewer cap from our new Alpine. Purchased a twist on waste valve for the sewer outlet and then attached cap and viola no more leakage when removing cap. Simple solution.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #6
notanlines

Steve, you have gotten some good advice from knowledgeable folks. Now let's have a little fun with this. You made claim that your commode and black tank are still 'turd virgins.' (I just couldn't think of proper terminology) I'm guessing in the four years use of the RV, and literally hundreds of walks to the park bathrooms you have built up what extra worth in your RV resale? Are you actually going to put in the Ebay ad that your commode is....well, still a virgin? What about the sink? The Mattress? Water heater?
Yes, I'm just having a little fun at your expense. Feel free to send a little retort back at me. In the meantime, buy the endcap or the valve and don't sweat the small stuff.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #7
68L79

"like the time I forgot to close the tank valve, and subsequently pulled the cap off and dumped the entire black tank on myself and the concrete around the dump station. "

I "tried" to do that yesterday. Luckily I have the garden hose connection for gray water release on the cap, so was able to let out a few gallons of liquid first so I didn't have a gusher.
68L79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm a firm believer in the "belt AND suspenders" insurance when it comes to black tank fittings....

I have a "terminal valve" and a cap with the 3/4 inch garden hose fitting....

That way, even if the "terminal valve leaks, there's only 1" of space beyond the valve and a small cap to remove, not a 3" gully washer amount of outlet to deal with ...

As for "3 or 4 year old trailers with virgin black tanks".... That's a "almost guaranteed way to have dried out valve seals"..... Once they're dried and the valve blade is moved over the brittle rubber seals, it's almost certain that you'll be replacing the seals, not from use, but from dry, brittle rubber being mechanically torn by the valve blade as it pulls its way over the brittle rubber.....

Bottom line: It's very likely that using the toilet prolongs its life and "keeping it virgin" makes for early failure...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
tech740

I am guessing what the OP means is no poop in the tank. It has had urine and paper. The seals should not be dried out due to not being used. May still be a seal issue but I think some have misunderstood the post.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I am guessing what the OP means is no poop in the tank. It has had urine and paper. The seals should not be dried out due to not being used. May still be a seal issue but I think some have misunderstood the post.
I've also talked to a few folks that only use the toilet for #1 at night, never #2 or paper in the toilet, & go to the parks facilities during the day.
NOPE! Not this guy!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #11
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've also talked to a few folks that only use the toilet for #1 at night, never #2 or paper in the toilet, & go to the parks facilities during the day.
NOPE! Not this guy!
I agree, we use ours for everything it was made for. We check things like knee room or wipe and lean room to be more specific when it comes to the bathroom. I just thought some of the replies were geared towards the tank never being used at all.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #12
Maineiacs

We know a couple who now have their 10 year old 5th wheel up for sale and think that's a strong selling point. From what I hear, most of the "lookers" have looked at them like they're out of their mind. "Turd virgins", a new catch phrase!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

So now we have four definitions for "TV" ...

TV = Tow Vehicle
TV = Television
TV = Turd Virgin
TV = Toilet Virgin

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
We know a couple who now have their 10 year old 5th wheel up for sale and think that's a strong selling point. From what I hear, most of the "lookers" have looked at them like they're out of their mind. "Turd virgins", a new catch phrase!
To me, if you want to buy a collectable or museum piece I’d look just about anywhere other than an RV dealership. I didn’t see a “turd virgin” line item in the NADA Guide or Kelly’s Blue Book.

What’s that condition add, $5?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #15
Dan Lockwood

John,

Abbreviations, what is DW, Designated Wife? I’ve been racking my little grey cells since I’ve joined this forum to figure this abbreviation out. I haven’t seen this used on other forums, so just wondering.

Sorry for going off subject ...��
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #16
jdgore92

Turd virgin?....unlikely!

If your rig has spent any time in the shop, it may not be a turd virgin anymore. I've known several owners who found the techs had "christened" the facilities while in the shop. In many cases, it's much closer (and cleaner) than the shop restroom.
jdgore92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:58 AM   #17
68L79

DEAR Wife, of course!
68L79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #18
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
John,

Abbreviations, what is DW, Designated Wife? I’ve been racking my little grey cells since I’ve joined this forum to figure this abbreviation out. I haven’t seen this used on other forums, so just wondering.

Sorry for going off subject ...��
Most would say "Dear Wife", but I've also seen "Devil Woman" - my DW calls me the DW because she says it stands for "dim wit"

Here's a big list - not sure how official this might be...
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...read.php?t=449
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #19
Todd 423

Install a secondary knife valve ahead of the discharge cap. This will stop any. Liquids, that may be left in the drain lines, from making its way to the cap.
Todd 423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #20
apachewolf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I still have a hard time understanding why some folks buy a rv then don't use the toilet (some don't use the shower either) as it was designed to be used, save money & buy a pop-up or a tent.
I paid for a rv so I'd have all the conveniences of home & didn't have to go elsewhere to do my business. Curious do they use the facilities at home, go elsewhere or have an outhouse.
I understand it's a sh###y job, probably the worst part of rving, but if careful & pay attention it's not that bad & I guarantee everyone has the same bodily function.

As to the OP, some rvs can have a couple feet of 3" piping after the valves with twist/turns that can hold liquid then while traveling it works to the cap.
Pickup a cap with water hose attachment on it & remove that small cap over the open hose before removing the 3" cap, lot smaller stream to deal with.
I agree 110%. We purchased out TT exactly because we wanted our OWN bathroom, Kitchen and Bedroom. To NOT use it that way don't make sense. Likewise with the notion that one should not alter the interior to fit ones taste because it MAY lower the resale value. People buy homes and re-do them to thier need and liking without thoughts to resale value. I tore out the bench in the slide after it collapsed but I did not rebuild it I bought a dresser and chairs to use there instead. That was OUR taste. We have now been enjoying it for over 5 years. Ultimately the difference between what I paid for it and what I get when I sell it will be what it cost me to enjoy camping for the years we have used it. Simple economics.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank