Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
hasiukdk

more San-t--flush questions

I have a 2019 29bhswe and it has the San-t-flush.
1. Should I keep the pressure regulator (40-50 psi) on the waterline when using san-t-flush? Is more pressure better?

2. Several mentions in this forum of using san-t-flush while black tank valve is closed. My unit has a sticker explicitly stating "do not use" unless valve is fully open. There is also a printed warning on the san-t-flush spigot. What's up?

Also, can someone combine higher pressure with open black tank valve? Or some other workable combo?

Thanks!
hasiukdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Logan X

The answer to question 1- you should use a pressure regulator with the black flush. The plumbing from the connection to the jets on the tank is the same as the rest of the trailer and would be susceptible to damage from high pressure.

Question 2- I think the reason the stickers say not to close the dump valve while using the tank flush is because you could overflow the black tank into the bathroom, thus creating an unsanitary condition.

I use two methods to clean the tank. The fist is to fill the tank with fresh water and then dump it. I fill the tank using the tank flush with the dump valve closed. There are other ways to fill the tank with fresh water if you didn’t want to use the tank flush. I monitor it extremely closely while I am filling the tank. I use a timer and put my full attention on the task.

After I fill it with clean water and dump once or twice, I use the tank flush with the dump valve open until only clear water is running out.

I only do this once or twice a year and it seems to keep the tank functioning well. I do not think the tank needs to be flushed clean every time you dump it.

Just my 2c
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
travelin texans

Be sure to use a dedicated hose for black tank flush, NOT your drinking water hose. That said, add a Y to the city water faucet & connect the black flush hose to the opposite side as your rv minus the regulator.
As to closing the black valve, you can close it without harm to the tank, but only for a few minutes with your full attention. Closing the valve for for few minutes to add more water will aid in removing more of the solids, but NEVER leave it unattended.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
hasiukdk

Great info! Very helpful.

I appreciate it.
hasiukdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

My rule when using the black tank flush with valve closed: NO CONVERSATIONS OR DISTRACTIONS. I also set a timer to help remind me it's time to dump.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
B-O-B'03

My black tank flusher is pretty slow, the flo-jet macerator pump will pump it out faster than the flusher will put it in.

I figure it takes 10 to 15 minutes to fill the tank, I just peek down the toilet flush valve periodically to make sure I don't over-fill it.

-Brian