Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2020, 11:47 PM   #1
Jnich17

Installing outside EMS inside?

I just bought a Surge Guard 34951 EMS for my 5th wheel. I was thinking of installing it inside my compartment to keep from having to lock it to meter base and out of weather. I was thinking of cutting my power cable and installing 50 amp heavy duty plugs on them so it will be a plug in hookup. If EMS ever went bad just unplug it and plug power cord together and keep getting up.
Some insite from someone who has done this or ideas please.
Airlift Bags
Jnich17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:15 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Why not just buy a hard wired unit with remote display? No cutting the shore cord

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
LewisB

We have the same system but use it at the pedestal. We have never had a problem from theft or otherwise. Prefer that because it provides protection for the pedestal to trailer cable system as well.

If you are that worried about theft, I agree with Chuck - might as well purchase the one intended for internal installation.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Theft is a possibility anywhere and they do give you a ring to put a bike lock around the pedestal and through the ring to keep honest folks honest. If you are so worried about theft perhaps parking at another location might be a good idea. Most RV parts are pretty free from theft unless you leave bikes out. I have had out EMS plugged in at the pedestal for a few years and only put the bike lock through the hoop if I haven't camped at that location and am unsure of it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
travelin texans

If you want it inside save a few $$ & buy the hardwired unit, otherwise plug into the pedestal & enjoy rving.
I used the portable daily for 10+ years of fulltiming & never had it walk away or be harmed by the weather.
I bought the portable knowing I would trade RVs at least once, actually did it twice, so only had buy it once.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I've been using my Surge Guard at the ped for 6 years with not one issue. Don't even try to lock it anymore. Trying to modify the one you have for that slim chance it will walk off isn't worth it IMO. They are made to be weather proof as well. I will say that at the park we are in at the moment, whoever wired this power plug (50A) didn't know what they were doing and mounted it upside down (and improperly initially judging by the damage inside the box). I had to remove the box cover and plug the EMS upside down leaving it open to the weather. A trash bag over it has fixed that. I did let the EMS check things out before trying to plug anything in.

I believe your 34951 is compatible with the Surge Guard wireless remote. I would just get that and be done with it. Mine does not have that capability but I will be getting one prior to years end.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
We have the same system but use it at the pedestal. We have never had a problem from theft or otherwise. Prefer that because it provides protection for the pedestal to trailer cable system as well.

If you are that worried about theft, I agree with Chuck - might as well purchase the one intended for internal installation.
You are actually losing a degree of protection using a portable device at the pedestal, because you are not protecting your rig from a fault in the shore cable. When you have a hardwired device, you protect your rig from a failed connection at both ends of your shore cable in addition to a possibly damaged cable. We lost the ground prong on the pedestal end of our shore cable several years ago, and the EMS device would not power up our rig. With a portable device, it would not be able to see a problem in the shore cable and we would have had a potential safety issue with no ground.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You are actually losing a degree of protection using a portable device at the pedestal, because you are not protecting your rig from a fault in the shore cable. When you have a hardwired device, you protect your rig from a failed connection at both ends of your shore cable in addition to a possibly damaged cable. We lost the ground prong on the pedestal end of our shore cable several years ago, and the EMS device would not power up our rig. With a portable device, it would not be able to see a problem in the shore cable and we would have had a potential safety issue with no ground.
How does this go? "More taste? Less Filling? Best to get an EMS of some sort and not a lowly surge protector....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
You may be right about that Bob - I'm not sure. The Surge Guard is the only EMS (to my knowledge) that protects both the line and load side from an open neutral - that includes the pedestal model #34951. I'm not sure about the load side ground.

As George points out, internal vs pedestal EMS is like talking Ford vs Chevy. The important point is to get one!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #10
bobbecky

The Surge Guard 34951 only protects against the open neutral on the RV side, but everything else is strictly on the source side, so your rig will be protected against issues at the pedestal, but except for the neutral, nothing on the RV side of the Surge Guard will be protected. With the hardwired version, you will be protected all the way into the RV, which includes issues with the shore cord connections as well as internal wiring up to the EMS device, and of course, you will not have the worry about losing the device.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post

You have in backwards. The closer to the trailer's electrical panel the more you are protected. With 50 amp service if you loose neutral you fry most AC items. That is why people recommend the hard wired on board, as it protects you from a shore power cable issue.

Our 5th wheel has a shore power cable reel that has brushes that can have issue. Both of our current trailer have the PI EMS hard wired units with remotes.

Just saw your second post, not sure how the Surge Guard can monitor the load side. Then again, a GFCI can sense the fact that current is going out on hot lead and not returning on the neutral.