Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Ranchhand

2014 wheels on 2019 trailer

In a previous post I stated that I have oficially traded off my 2014 cougar on a 2019 cougar. I have not gone and picked up the new one yet. Last summer I put on new firestone tires on the 2014. So today I called the salesman if when I picked up the new one if the service department would take the wheels and tires off my old one and put them on the new one. I get to keep my firestone tires and he gets a used trailer with new tires and wheels. Win win if you ask me. So he tells me that my old wheels will probably not go on the new trailer because he figures the old ones have a different offset then the new ones. I find this very unlikely but possible. Does anyone know for sure if the wheels would swap or not.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The offset for all trailer wheels is 0, so that's not an issue. What is an issue is the fact that Firestone doesn't make ST tires, and installing LT tires or P rated tires on a travel trailer will probably not come close to the weight requirements and/or the safety margin required to meet the load of the new trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
travelin texans

I agree with John!
Let the dealer have the new tires on an old trailer as you'll get new tires & wheels on a new trailer that are probably better rated than the LT tires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
CWtheMan

Legally the dealer cannot do that change-out before the trailer is sold. Even then, the dealer would most likely be in violation of industry standards unless the LT tires have equal or more load capacity than the new trailer's OE tires.

Even if the tires are equal in load capacity I wouldn't make such a change until the limited Keystone warranty has expired. (UNLESS, Keystone approved the change in writing).

Here is a link to the Keystone owner's manual. Warranty coverages are in a number of topics in this manual.

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...anual-2019.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:35 AM   #5
ChuckS

Personally I wouldn’t want a set of old rims on a new trailer. Keep the new trailer with its OEM tires and wheels

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Personally I wouldn’t want a set of old rims on a new trailer. Keep the new trailer with its OEM tires and wheels
As much as I DO NOT LIKE TK TIRES !!!!! I agree with Chuck. For the past 2 years, Keystone has been installing tires with "significantly greater load safety margins" than in past years. Prior to that action, I'd probably kept the new wheels and changed out the tires within the first season. Now, with the load increases in tires, even TK tires are safer than in past years. So, I'd be inclined to "leave them on the trailer and see how they perform"...

I certainly wouldn't want to start my warranty experience by removing warrantied items to replace with 7 or 8 year old wheels with 2 to 3 year old tires that aren't even ST tires. JMHO

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
travelin texans

As CW mentioned the dealer most likely wouldn't to this due to the legalities. If they did swap that would provide the RV manufacturer/dealer a prime excuse to deny any/all claims on any suspension related issue that may come up, they don't need your help with that as they are very good all by themselves.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I remember when Firestone tires had a worse reputation then Trailer King. Ironic isn't it?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote