Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #41
RickReichert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I typically pickup Scott RV Toilet Paper at a local Walmart before I go camping. I'm heading out tomorrow with a limited amount in the camper. I started to look for any RV toilet paper last Thursday, but the panic shoppers have snagged it up. I have toilet paper at home, but don't want to use it. Is there any regular toilet paper that is RV friendly?
To me the decision on what TP to use is based on whether I'm going to be dry camping or not. If dry camping, I use single-ply TP like Scott 1000 so that I don't have to use very much water per flush. If I'm camping in an RV park then I can use what ever TP I want, as long as I use lots of water per flush. I'm not a big fan of the "use a lidded container" approach, but I do use one of those to dispose of the pre-moistened bathroom wipes. Those don't break down and can cause RV park sewer line clogs, especially if they accumulate in the RV holding tank and a bunch of them go out the drain at once.

I had "mountain of shame" just once in my holding tank during my first year of trailer camping, and I don't want to have to go through that again!

Stay safe out there!
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #42
Viet_Vet

We've been on the road for three and a half months. We have had no problem finding toilet paper for RVs at campers world, Campers Inn, or any other RV store or dealership.
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #43
Gunny Mike

I have toilet seat bidets on my toilets at home and want to put one in our Outback 341rd. Problem is I have to find one where I don't have to cut into the wall as it sticks out about 5" on the right. We have travelers ones in the RV which are not that great as a full underbody wash. The squeeze bottle one works great compared to the battery charged one.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:35 AM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

I may not "fully appreciate the power of a bidet" but I have to ask, "What do you do with the towel used to dry after using the "pressure washer" ????

Seems to me, the choice "AB" (after bidet) is to either "dribble across the bathroom floor" or "find a lidded container to store the used wash cloth/towel"...

As for "TP shortage" has anyone checked the trees in the forest??? Surely, at least around here, the bears are still hibernating, so all that TP, hanging on trees, ready for bears to use, is readily available if there's none on the shelves at WalMart…..

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #45
Gunny Mike

Well the $50 one you have a little dribble so you may have to hike them skivy drawers up and suck it up like a good Marine. I'd rather have damp skivies then a crusty at my six o'clock. Some days you just don't get all of the gold when you go digging. You can get some high dollar ones that come with a fan, or even a remote control, or heated water, but they cost about a grand.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

So, the question remains, "What do you do with the towel/washcloth used to dry after using the pressure washer" ???

Damp skivvies, wet "fecal smeared towel" or dribbles.... For me, toilet paper (flushed or in a trash can) followed by a "pre-moistened personal towelette" (also placed in that trash can) beats mixing up the towels and drying my hands "after drying my butt"..... No thanks, I'll keep my dry skivvies and toss that old WalMart bag with used towelettes every day. I couldn't imagine waking up to wash my face and realizing that the wash cloth I'm using is the one DW used "AB" (after bidet) as I scrub harder to remove the brown smears from my forehead...… As usual, YMMV, but I'm "hard and fast opposed to mixed up washcloths AND personal pressure washers"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #47
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
So, the question remains, "What do you do with the towel/washcloth used to dry after using the pressure washer" ???

Damp skivvies, wet "fecal smeared towel" or dribbles.... For me, toilet paper (flushed or in a trash can) followed by a "pre-moistened personal towelette" (also placed in that trash can) beats mixing up the towels and dryng my hands "after drying my butt"..... No thanks, I'll keep my dry skivvies and toss that old WalMart bag with used towelettes every day. I couldn't imagine waking up to wash my face and realizing that the wash cloth I'm using is the one DW used "AB" (after bidet) as I scrub harder to remove the brown smears from my forehead...… As usual, YMMV, but I'm "hard and fast opposed to mixed up washcloths AND personal pressure washers"

C'mon. There's no towel/washcloth involved. I have two different bidets installed on my S & B toilets. For drying I used one small wad of TP. Without the bidet I would use three or four wads of TP to get myself sufficiently clean. Also, the bidet in my master bath has a warm air blow dryer if I want to sit for an additional minute or so. The second one is just a simple cold water sprayer. So the only option is the small TP wipe.

I have gotten so accustomed to these things that I go to great lengths to avoid having to dump anywhere but home.

I am searching to find something that will fit on my RV toilet.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Damp skivvies, wet "fecal smeared towel" or dribbles.... For me, toilet paper (flushed or in a trash can) followed by a "pre-moistened personal towelette" (also placed in that trash can) beats mixing up the towels and drying my hands "after drying my butt"..... No thanks, I'll keep my dry skivvies and toss that old WalMart bag with used towelettes every day. I couldn't imagine waking up to wash my face and realizing that the wash cloth I'm using is the one DW used "AB" (after bidet) as I scrub harder to remove the brown smears from my forehead...… As usual, YMMV, but I'm "hard and fast opposed to mixed up washcloths AND personal pressure washers"
The first time we visited my DW sister in Divide CO. back in the mid 1980's I was headed into the shower when my SIL said "we just hang the towels to dry over the deck railing when were finished". What!? I told DW that was it, I'd be in a hotel in town as I'm not drying my face tomorrow with a towel that I dry my other end with today.

I don't have a fancy bottom washer in the RV so I guess I'll be throwing my 5,000 psi Honda power washer in the bed of the truck!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #49
Northofu1

Quote:

By far, that post made me laugh louder than any other i have read on this forum.
Thank you.
I too use the couple wads of tp and and cottonelle wipes in the old grocery bag. We dump these daily. Less to flush, works for us.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #50
notanlines

I'll say this, the comments on this thread have really gone in the crapper. The visual that goes along with most is horrendous.
(And we subscribe to the TP followed by diaper wipes practice)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #51
gearhead

Being the ignorant East Texas redneck that I am, I've never used a bidet. So how do you adjust your sitting style i.e. if you sit farther back or more to the front. Do you just wait until the blast of water hits 2 unintended targets, then adjust as needed?
And people actually use the same towel as the face towel. Oh so sheik and cosmopolitan.
I AM trying to be more cosmopolitan, or maybe European, though. I did p in the Home Depot parking lot a couple days ago. Coffee kicked in and like the TV commercial....gotta go, gotta go right NOW.
Advantage of a crew cab.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

Well, as another redneck, I have to say never saw a bidet (except pictures) and never wanted one since I'm very protective and always worry about the worst when certain areas are exposed to the unknown. And, like gearhead, I want to be more "cosmopolitan" and "worldly" but I'm a bit adverse to change at this age, and....dragging my butt has worked for decades.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #53
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Being the ignorant East Texas redneck that I am, I've never used a bidet. So how do you adjust your sitting style i.e. if you sit farther back or more to the front. Do you just wait until the blast of water hits 2 unintended targets, then adjust as needed?
Our current home came with a bidet. The bottom-mounted nozzle is towards the "front," meaning you have to sit on it knees toward the wall. This is a problem for people with long legs, especially as other nearby fixtures prevent manspreading. And yes, the towel issue is unsavory. All this explains why for the past 20 years, ours has served pretty much exclusively as a dog water bowl.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #54
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Our current home came with a bidet. The bottom-mounted nozzle is towards the "front," meaning you have to sit on it knees toward the wall. This is a problem for people with long legs, especially as other nearby fixtures prevent manspreading. And yes, the towel issue is unsavory. All this explains why for the past 20 years, ours has served pretty much exclusively as a dog water bowl.
I gotta ask, and no, don't feel obligated to answer, but is that the same dog that licks your face (with joy) every time you get home ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #55
LHaven

My dogs know not to lick me, period, as I've never been a fan of that. And the bidet is hardly the only porcelain "water bowl" in the house... though it's certainly the cleanest, as the others get used by people.

Keep in mind, unlike the other porcelain conveniences, bidets maintain no standing water by default (except that we keep ours full, just for them).
Old 03-29-2020, 03:59 AM   #56
gearhead

Quote:
OK, let me get this straight....you have a conventional toilet and a separate bidet? So you do your business on a conventional toilet then stand up and walk over to the bidet? That ain't gonna work for me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:38 AM   #57
LHaven

It's what came with the house. I'm no connoisseur of plumbing.

I visited Paris once in my life... my hotel room had a shower, sink, and bidet in the bathroom, and a conventional toilet in a completely separate closet. All I can say is, good thing I got curious as to what was behind that door, or things might have gotten nonlinear. But if the French can make it work in two separate rooms, I suppose 18" can't be that bad.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It's what came with the house. I'm no connoisseur of plumbing.

I visited Paris once in my life... my hotel room had a shower, sink, and bidet in the bathroom, and a conventional toilet in a completely separate closet. All I can say is, good thing I got curious as to what was behind that door, or things might have gotten nonlinear. But if the French can make it work in two separate rooms, I suppose 18" can't be that bad.
Different cultures consider different actions as "acceptable"... French (Most European) women think nothing of having underarm hair, leg hair and body odor (as long as they have expensive "French perfume" to mask the smell)… Walking "cheek to cheek" from the toilet to the bidet is a "smearing success in Paris and other "sophisticated European cities" is "acceptable there"...

Just as German farmers live "over the manure factory, smell, flies and all and their "honey wagons" spread that "saved manure" on the fields every spring before planting, the "bidet culture" sprays away.... Both "acceptable in another culture and not fully accepted, appreciated or even tolerated" by other cultures....

I suppose, it's an example of: "If the shoe fits and you like them" … For some, they'll wear them with a smile "cheek to cheek where needed" and for others, they'll never leave the shoe store..... (or plumbing department if you consider the bidet)…. For the bidet, some have them and love them, some have them and never use them, some have them for dog bowls, and some don't have them for whatever reason fits their thinking. Thankfully, we are all "free to choose" which method of "ABM cleanup" we prefer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #59
kjohn

Well, I have enjoyed this thread. Now that I have tears wiped off my face, I can say with some assurance that I would be traveling alone if I suggested to my wife that we put our "used" toilet paper in a bag.
We use Costco Kirkland paper. If we are hooked up to a campsite, we aren't shy about using lots of water in a flush. I have a macerator and a 45 gallon (cdn) plastic barrel in my truck in case there is no sewer hookup. I also have a 20 gal. water tank in the truck. I like to keep it half full when we are traveling. Covered at both ends.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #60
Bob R

This has turned into quite the thread but now I am wondering; How does a blind guy know when he is done wiping or would a bidet be his best bet?

bob

Tags
toilet