Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
VirtualMe

Brand new to camping - first trailer

Well, the wife and I have been looking at trailers on and off for over a year. We have walked through literally thousands of them, and spent almost as long online researching. Happened to stop in on the way home from two towns over and looked at a 2004 Sprinter 297 BHS. Anyone have one of these?

The price was right, so we are picking it up on Monday to pull home.

Anyone know a good repository for advice directed at first time 5th wheel owners?

Thanks in advance!
2004 Sprinter 297FWBHS
2006 Ford F250 (6.0 Powerstroke Diesel)
VirtualMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure what kind of advice or helpful hints you are looking for so if you can put some specific questions to our 5th wheel members, they will be happy to help you out. For example, are you looking for advice on hitching/unhitching? Backing into sites? Levelling your 5th? Towing? Or??????

Once you have some specific questions to throw out there, find the most appropriate category/forum and post them there. We'll do our best to assist you.

(Please avoid "double posting" --- posting the same question in more than one forum/section. Thank you)
Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
dave-g

good luck with the new camper.

Don't forget this site has a good search feature.

1st up- pre delivery check list.

ON a 2004- I would take a good look at the tires before towing- pressure and condition.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
rhd47

Unhappy

I guess he made it home O.K. and didn't need any more help. I was looking forward to all the Q & A's since I hope to be in the same position late next spring.....in a 347THT
rhd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Outbackmel

Ditto on the tires

If you check the tires and they are original equipment, you definitely need to consider negotiating replacements in your pricing. You WILL be buying a set real soon if you are planning on towing most anywhere. One flat and you will be quickly convinced. My previous RV was a 2005 TT. In 2008 took a trip (700miles roundtrip). Tires were manufactured in 2004. Gone; new tires installed.

I am not saying you need to panic and replace the tires, BUT, common sense will direct you when it's time to make a switch. Also look for uneven wear patterns.

Does not take much to make a good trip go bad. One flat on an interstate or a narrow country road with no shoulder isn't gonna be a happy camper time.

Just because a tire looks good; tread, etc, does not mean it can sustain load and stress. As a motorcyclist, I know the value of tires first hand. It's the only thing separating your butt from the road.

Life is short.....enjoy.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote