Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #1
Sambucus

Absolute noob with yet another towing question

Hello All,
My wife and I decided, now that I am on the glide path to retirement (6 years or so) to get an RV and camp with the grandchildren and snowbird later. I have heard the advice "buy your third trailer first".

I purchased a 2019 Silverado 1500 CC SB with a tow package, rated 9500 lbs towing.

We are zeroing in on a Passport GT 2950BH. We love the floor plane (as do the grandkids) and it looks to be the right feature/quality/price balance.

That said, I am an engineer and therefore I over-analyze everything. All the math says that this trailer will fit the truck and I should be fine, but never having owned a trailer, I am looking for some real world facts to confirm this. My research is all over the map, some say 6000 GVWR trailer for this truck to allow plenty of margin, (this trailer is 6145 dry, 7800 GVWR)

As I said, all the math works, but am I too close to max, realisticly?

Thanks for any advice!
Sambucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

welcome to the forum

Never use any "dry" weights in any calculations, as they are not what your trailer will weigh after the battery is installed and the propane bottles filled. Use the GVWR of the trailer and the tongue weight as your guides. Even the tongue weight is misleading as it too is BEFOIRE battery and propane.

Look at the sticker in the drivers door sill and it will list the GVWR of YOUR truck. use that as a starting point, and go weigh your truck loaded as if your headed to the campground. Take that figure and subtract that from the GVWR of the truck and you will have the amount left for the trailer.

Travel trailers generally will have 10-15% of the GVWR on the tongue and at 7800 that means your tongue is about 800 Lbs. Lots of members have reported weights a lot higher than that once the trailer is loaded for the outing.

Does your truck have P rated tires? if so you need to check the carrying capacity of them, lots of guys change them to LT tires for a better towing experience.

I'm probably missing some things as my brain isn't in high gear today, others will add as needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Steveo57

The limiting factor a lot of times is your cargo carrying capacity. Look at the sticker on the door frame and it will have a number for the combined weight of cargo and occupants that you should not exceed.

Take a 1000# off of that for the tongue weight and then start subtracting weight of the people and cargo that you will have in the truck and see if you will be overloading it.

I've got a 2018 Ford and with just me and the junk for a long summer trip I was over when I weighed in. My trailer has a gvwr of 7200# and my tongue weight runs 1000-1100#.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
Canonman

Welcome!!
Chuckster speaks the truth when it comes to "estimating" weights and capacities. You're looking to pull a 34' travel trailer that can weigh up to 7800 pounds. And just because the TT is rated at 7800# doesn't mean it can't be overloaded (if your wife packs like mine). Be absolutely sure about the actual weights not guesses, or worse marketing info from the brochures.
This size TT will definitely tax your 1500. We pulled a similar 27' TT with our '03 Ford, tow package etc. and found that while it pulled OK, it was challenged when pulling on a grade and accelerating when needed. You don't mention the configuration of your 1500, engine size, gear ratio, etc. but just know that you'll likely be at the upper limits of your TV's capabilities.
Be sure to add a quality weight distribution hitch rated for at least 1,000 lbs. with sway control. A 34' trailer has a lot of sail area and can get pushed around a lot by wind and passing semi's. LT tires are a MUST if not already equipped.
After "objectively" looking at all the specs and you're comfortable with the safety margins for your family's sake, GO Camping and Have FUN!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0052.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	23491  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #5
Laredo Tugger

Sambucus
"Buy your third trailer first" is good advice. I am on my second and if you count the other camping configuration I had (a van conversion) I am on my third, and last. Well,you know how that goes.........
Anyway, yes you want to follow chuckster's advice. Honestly if you have (as you stated) six years to plan, start out with a small used trailer and build from there. Even for a small TT you are going to assemble an "inventory" of stuff that is necessary for any trailer (blocks,lubricants,extra parts,tools,bbq ect...) let alone the "stuff" that you will need for people on board. Grandkids will probably have bikes, friends, and stuff as well. All of this is weight.
I guess it boils down to if you want to climb the RV ladder or the the TV one first.
If you want enough truck for your ultimate RV now, then get a one ton dually and (most) everything you hitch to it in the next six years will be good and safe to go.
If you need the truck for a daily commuter maybe 3/4 ton gas but again, as you are now, look at the numbers chuckster is explaining.
Not sure of your situation, but some solid planning and the abundance of knowledgeable folks on here (and other similar sites) can help you avoid much heartburn. You are actually lucky to have the time and ability to avoid buying and selling trucks and trailers to find "the one". Many on here (including myself) have bought and sold few combinations until satisfied.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
Sambucus

Thank You All!

Now that I have read the instruction, I will move this to the appropriate section. Thank you all very much for the help, I have a lot to learn. Never thought of looking at the truck's tire ratings, for example.

Thanks again
Sambucus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing