Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM   #21
Leencharlotte

I had to do this last year when the little rolled metal pin broke out of release handle and could not unhitch. (Reese sent me a new one at campground overnight). Anyway, not sure, at least on reese titan 20k hitch that the release handle can be pulled out easily when suspended, mine could not.

Also, was much easier to lower in bed close to pucks, release hitch and wiggle hitch into pucks then hitch back up vs aligning back in pucks directly.

And the reese hitch adapter handles can be locked into closed position so nobody can just hitch up easily

The biggest caution i can give you is when leaving hanging, dont forget when walking around at night. Lol
Leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:35 AM   #22
jimborokz

I've seen this done many times. Some do it for security reasons. If you have the puck system, someone would have to have the right truck to steal the rig which narrows the field and if you lock the pucks closed you make the job so difficult the thief would just go on to the next fifth wheel and leave yours. Locking the handle on the jaws should prevent someone from opening it while it's hanging. I think I may try this with my 275 lb. B&W slider.
One question, Has anyone with the Ford puck system had issues with the puck sticking if it's not perfectly aligned when you set it down in the truck? If I set the hitch down and the puck is not aligned it will push up and stick there and I have to pry it back down to lock it in.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:28 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

jimborokz,

My puck system is "tight" but hasn't (yet) stuck or jammed the pins. I use a wire brush and clean the puck seats every spring, then spray them with some penetrating oil, let that sit overnight, then clean that out with some 409.

As for the puck "pins", I spray them with penetrating oil and let that sit overnight also. I don't clean the pins, I leave that little bit of oil on them. So far, I haven't had any dirt/grime buildup on the pins.

My hitch (probably yours too) has castellated nuts with cotter pins to adjust the hitch "tightness" in the puck seats. If they're too loose, the hitch rattles, if too tight, the hitch locking arms bind when installing the hitch. There's a "fine line" between too tight and too loose.

On my hitch, if I position it in the pin seats unevenly, it will bind, but just lifting it an inch or so on the low side, it's always "just slipped into the seats.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:14 AM   #24
jimborokz

This was on a new hitch, no dirt or grim. Not really jammed, just when I got it set down right in the bed I had to pry on the top by the nut to get the pin to drop into the puck so I could latch it. They just sort of stick a bit. Also happens when I remove the hitch and set it down on the pins on a furniture dolly.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch