Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Happt New Year - PLEASE BE SAFE

Want to wish all our members a very happy, prosperous and safe New Year. Please be safe and if traveling, watch out for the other guy.

I was coming back from Tallahassee today and fell in behind a small car on a beautiful canopied back road heading back to our campground. The driver, a young woman, 25-30 with a passenger, was driving about 15mph under the already slow speed limit and her speed/driving was erratic. I kept watching and soon found that she was completely engrossed in her cell phone conversation. We came to a stop sign where we entered a crossing with a state highway. The driver, oblivious to the world, began rolling into the highway. I was watching 2 vehicles coming at her in the first lane that would have Tboned the driver door. I thought she was just creeping forward; she wasn't. As it dawned on me that she was going to keep going, oblivious as she talked, I just started yelling NO about 5 times in increasing volume - my wife thought I was nuts (she had been reading something). The oncoming vehicles were RIGHT on top of her. She finally saw them when she was in the middle of the lane, and, what did she do? Stopped!! Square in front of the oncoming car!! I thought she was dead as I tried to assess who was going to hit what when. The miracle was the guy driving the OLD Jeep pickup. He had been driving slow anyway and had thankfully been watching her and anticipating she was clueless apparently. He locked it down and stopped "maybe" a foot from her door (she's still sitting there, square in front of him,dead in the water saying "duh" I guess ). The guy right behind him ended up right in front of me across my road where the dumb driver had been. A MIRACLE!! The woman should have been dead, and worse, could easily have killed folks in 3-4 cars; saved by an observant person and the grace of God. What did she do? Looked at the guy in the Jeep that saved her, picked up her phone and started talking and drove off!!!

This is not really relevant to RVing except we are in a holiday season and from my experience the incompetents seem to "come out" at this time. PLEASE be watchful of these people - they're seemingly everywhere anymore. If you know of anyone that would drive like that please encourage them to concentrate on driving when behind the wheel, there is not a thing, not ONE single thing, that would warrant anyone taking their, or anyone else's lives because they need to "talk" or "text". Again, Happy New Year to all.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #2
xrated

Happy New Year to all! Hopefully, this is going to be my last year of work and planning on retirement in early 2020. Peggy and I partied pretty hard last evening at a neighbor's house. We had Deep Fried Turkey, Bacon wrapped green beans, and some kind of special cheesy potato dish that was absolutely over the top. Peggy and I brought a home-made fresh Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream for desert. We spent the evening playing Rummi-Cube and Skip Bo and welcomed in the New Year.........then went home and crashed.....after all, it was past our normal 9 o'clock bedtime! Cheers!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

HNY to all. Looking forward to all 2019 will bring.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
Pull Toy

Jan and I wish all of you a Happy Safe and Healthy New Year!

Sourdough's story reminds me of why, after over 50 years of two wheeling, I parked the Goldwing a few years ago. (I would have been the Jeep in this situation) This was not my first instance of distracted drivers, but I decided next time it happened I was going to be wrapped in a F350, instead of sitting wrapped around a MC

Seems like too many younger people don't get it! I saw a young couple on a date the other night. They didn't have two words two to say to each other. They were too busy with their phones. Why bother going out to dinner?

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Last night:

This morning:

Y'all have a happy and healthy new year, Hank & Lynn
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Bamacamper

Happy New Year everyone....
Bamacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:18 AM   #7
Tbos

Happy New Year everyone. I look forward to continuing to learn from all of you this year.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
rhagfo

Well I got to finish the old year great, and provide a great start to the new year. I got a new to me TV for New Years, and my Birthday.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote