Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
Durga

Pump loud grinding noise

‘05 keystone outback
The water pump is making loud grinding noises intermittently when I turn off main water line for when it gets cold at night and I run the water out of lines. I currently live in the camper in NorCal.

Last night it was cold - not freezing- and the loud vibrations grinding noise happened the entire time I had water on.
The lower the water pressure I skied for in shower the water pump began to have lunging cycles but noise and water functions never stopped.

Any recommendations? Also : WHERE IS THE WATER PUMP??
I wiggled under where I heard it coming from the next day but there is no compartment from outside. How do I get to it? Do I cut through the exterior floor??

I appreciate helpful feedback- thanks.
Durga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No idea which model Outback you have. The water pump location is model specific, so it could be in the front, the rear, the center of your trailer, depending on the floor plan. Usually the water pump is located near the fresh water tank. The outside water fill for the fresh water tank is usually located near the tank, so that would mean the water pump is probably located somewhere close to the outside water fill.

As for the grinding noise, that could be from a piece of trash that got caught in the pump head or it could be from a bad pump head or even bad bearings on the motor. Until you locate the pump and determine what is wrong, there's no way of knowing if you need to clean the pump head (disassembly required), replace/repair the pump head or replace the entire pump assembly.

There is access to the pump from inside the trailer. It may be a removeable panel, a "lift up" section of carpeted flooring (often beside the bed) or access is obtained by removing a drawer or a divider panel on the side of a cupboard. You won't have to access it from under the trailer. It's inside, above the floor and either behind a panel or in a cupboard base/cabinet/bed platform.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Look where you hear the noise the loudest. Look for a panel that has a couple of screws holding it. Or as John said, play with panels and look for one that will lift up or slide out. You might have to crawl around on the floor a little, but you will find it eventually. The pump has to be accessible for repairs and servicing and also for winterizing.

With a lower demand on the pump, it is normal for the pump to cycle on and off or surge a bit. There is a pressure switch in the pump head and your water pipes act like a little storage reservoir. When the pressure in the lines is low enough, the pump switches on and pressurises the lines. If the flow rate from demand is less than the delivery capacity of the pump, it will cycle on and off.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
Durga

Most noise when cold

The noise is only happening when it’s very cold. And of course it stopped as soon as I was really trying to define where noise is loudest

It’s a KEYSTONE 2005 outback Sydney edition if anyone has a schematic they can send that’s great.
I will be crawling around in inside floor today. I did that a little already but got discouraged— but your note has me more confident that I WILL FIND IT 😉
Do I have to get a new pump from an rv place? When I find the old one I will be able to know what to order. I’ve seen other comments that they are easy to install.

And I’ve also read that when your not boondocks to not use pump ... I tried shutting it off but then my water had no pressure. I am permanently on a hose.
Thanks!
Old 12-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Something else is wrong, the pump is not to be used when hooked up to city water. That is under pressure by itself. That water does not go through the fresh water tank. The pump is for getting water out of the fresh water tank and through the water lines. Is there water in the fresh water tank? Is this trailer new to you and has it been different regarding the water pump than before? Did it work OK before on city water and than through the fresh water tank?
From what you describe your trying to use the pump to pump city water. If there is no water in the fresh water tank the pump will be louder than normal due to no water in it. They are loud with water going through them. It will ruin itself and even get louder without water.
Let's go back to the comment that you have no water pressure with the city water connected unless the water pump is on. Is that correct?
Sounds like it is not a water pump problem now unless you burned it up. Yes, water pumps are available on line and at RV stores and even some dept. stores. You can likely get the same or even a newer better one.
Unless I misunderstood your description, please explain how exactly you using the water system. Because it sounds like that could be part or all of the problem.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Durga

it new to me yes - i always had the pump on as i didnt know it was only to pump tank and not hosed water. --> that I discovered yesterday.
I disconnected hose, turned off hot water within camper, and checked the tiny metal filter at the brass elbow that connects hose to camoper. That thing is clean. I switched out the PSI adapter (but it was the spare one that appears even older than the used one i had on there. I then turned the water hose back on .... it is for a green house and the switch is allthe way open now. Came back to camper and water pressure is nothing more than a drip. Lines are NOT frozen. Should I try the connection without the RV PSI adapter on ? Is it diminishing the flow TOO MUCH? The last thing I want is to have TOO MUCH psi.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

You say you have a water filter on the input hose? First, go outside, turn off the water faucet, disconnect the trailer/water hose connection, turn on the faucet and see if you have water flow through the hose. If you do and it is adequate volume/pressure, then the problem is inside the trailer. If you don't, then it's either the PSI adapter (probably a pressure regulator/reducer) or the hose.

If you do have adequate pressure/volume, then the problem is in the trailer. Remove that filter (for test purposes) and also remove the PSI adapter (??) so all you have is the water faucet, hose, trailer input connection and inside sink faucet. Turn on the water faucet, then go inside the trailer and see if you have water pressure....

I'd suspect you might have a clogged water filter element and/or a malfunctioning PSI adapter (likely to really be a pressure regulator).

If you have pressure, then one (or both) of those devices is bad... If you don't have pressure, then the city water inlet is not functioning properly (assuming the water faucet works when you use the onboard water pump)...

Try the above and let us know what happens. Depending on the water pressure at the supply water faucet, you might not want to leave it connected without a pressure regulator. If the pressure is less than about 50 PSI, you should be OK without the regulator. However, if the pressure rises during periods of non-use in the main supply line or if pressure is greater than about 50 PSI, then you'll need to repair/replace the pressure regulator. As for the filter element, I've seen them clog and reduce pressure within 24 hours and I've also seen them go for an entire season without any pressure changes. It depends on what's in the water and what kind of filter it is.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is a diagram of a typical RV water system. As you can see, the pump and the city water connection "share" the same runs to all the faucets and the toilet. There is no different system. If you have water flow using the pump, then you "should" have water flow using the city water connection (as long as that one way valve is functioning)....

Take a look at this diagram, see if it helps you understand your water system a bit better....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV PLUMBING SYSTEM.gif
Views:	197
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	19710  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Just as a tidbit; when you turn off the water to disconnect the hose, open the faucet inside to relieve the pressure on the hose and make disconnecting much easier.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
travelin texans

Just a thought! Does the park faucet have the back flow prevented? Does your water pressure "restrictor" have the screen gasket? If so the screen may be pressing the small pin in the back flow preventer causing no flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49510nnew.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	19723  
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
Durga

dear community - Im ever so grateful for your thoughtfulness and wisdom. I back tracked to discover an issue back to the well after utilizing your good advise.

I have water running! I wish I could have you all over to wash dishes and shower with me ;D . whoot whoot !!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

Talking

Nice to hear you got it fixed. I thought it over, I will pass on the shower, but thanks.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durga View Post
dear community - Im ever so grateful for your thoughtfulness and wisdom. I back tracked to discover an issue back to the well after utilizing your good advise.

I have water running! I wish I could have you all over to wash dishes and shower with me ;D . whoot whoot !!
At our house, if it doesn't fit in the dishwasher, it goes in the trash.....

As for the shower, I haven't seen an RV shower big enough for one, much less the number you just invited..... Besides, with only 6 gallons of hot water ?????

I regret that I won't be joining you for dishwashing or showering, however I am glad that you got things working again. It's a good feeling to know you're capable of figuring it out.... Good for you !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durga View Post

I'm very pleased that you solved the problem. Can you let us know what it actually was? I was a bit confused by your comment that you "discovered an issue back to the well". Is that literally? Like as in you are supplying the water to the trailer from well water?
Thanks for the update though, and I've had my shower this month so I'll pass as well. As for doing the dishes.....
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote