Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Trip to Mexico Beach

I had posted previously about coming here to the FL panhandle in the aftermath of hurricane Michael. I made my first trip to Mexico Beach, where the center of the hurricane hit, today. The damage is staggering. I took some pictures but they aren't of the worst damage. I felt embarrassed taking pictures of what has to be so much pain for so many.

The pictures are from about 60 yards or so inland. They don't start to encompass what I was seeing - I didn't take time to put on a wide angle. I also didn't spend any time to compose the shots - I felt bad doing it anyway.

These look bad but the front rows of houses/businesses facing the water along the older section of town; the ones that gave Mexico Beach its "laid back" feel, are completely gone - nothing but a few posts, concrete blocks etc. Entire rows of buildings and businesses are gone with nothing but the foundations left. I saw no businesses open at all. I did see a couple of food trailer brought in in front of destroyed restaurants and a bar that was open inside the gutted previous business. One very nice multi story home had all the windows blown out and roof off with a huge sheet (or multiple sheets) flapping in the breeze with "FEMA Please make Mexico Beach great again" on it.

A very sobering drive and visit. Lots of damage prior to Mexico Beach. Stopped in Port St. Joe where we always go to the marina to take puppy for a walk and look at the boats; it is destroyed and had several boats just pushed up on land and one very nice, large boat sunk with its bow sticking straight up. After talking to the park owner before we left I loaded up nail guns compressors and tools. Not useful. Should have loaded chain saws and brought a couple of large dump trucks. From what I can see, Big Tex trailers should be making a fortune. Just thought I would share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	19641   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	19642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	19643   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	19644  
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
Badbart56

It's beyond words. Two friends I worked with in law enforcement live there. She is a Mexico Beach Police Officer and he is a law enforcement officer in Port St. Joe. They are fortunate I suppose, only took the roof off their two story home. I just made a trip to Pensacola this past weekend. The destruction up on Interstate 10 is severe. They're still removing debris alongside the roadway. I think it's safe to say that the area will never be what it once was, not in our lifetime anyway.

https://twitter.com/joshcascio/statu...ane-michael%2F

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Badbart56

It destroyed the police departments vehicles by the way. The Florida Highway patrol donated some of their old patrol cars and they just spray painted over the FHP logos and painted over the yellow paint on the roof and trunk. Just an FYI if you see these vehicles while you're in the area, they are legit police officers.

2010 FZ 405

Old 12-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
It's beyond words. Two friends I worked with in law enforcement live there. She is a Mexico Beach Police Officer and he is a law enforcement officer in Port St. Joe. They are fortunate I suppose, only took the roof off their two story home. I just made a trip to Pensacola this past weekend. The destruction up on Interstate 10 is severe. They're still removing debris alongside the roadway. I think it's safe to say that the area will never be what it once was, not in our lifetime anyway.

https://twitter.com/joshcascio/statu...ane-michael%2F

We saw the destruction along I10 coming down. I could not believe that miles and miles of forests looked like some giant mower had just cut them down at the same height. I talked to my son in law who is some sort of management person with the NFS in Tallahassee and he said the damage like that went for something like 70 miles. The trees that had fallen across the interstate had just been cut off a little behind where the white stripe was so they could clear it but felt a little uncomfortable running down the highway with those great big "spears" pointing out of the side in the event something went wrong.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
rick-eureka

There was a real nice RV Park on old 98. I think it was just south of there. Still there?
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Laredo Tugger

There also a small RV park across from the El Governor Hotel (on Hwy 98 in Mexico Beach) that we stayed at a few times. Before and after satellite photos show that it is gone. Too bad,it was a great place to stay that was close to a nice beach.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
There also a small RV park across from the El Governor Hotel (on Hwy 98 in Mexico Beach) that we stayed at a few times. Before and after satellite photos show that it is gone. Too bad,it was a great place to stay that was close to a nice beach.
RMc
https://www.facebook.com/wxchasing/v...2025467076808/

You can see where the RV park was across the street about halfway through this video. Honestly, there's nothing left to go back to.

2010 FZ 405

Old 12-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #8
Badbart56

https://www.facebook.com/carrie.broo...6769873786459/

2010 FZ 405