Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 AM   #1
Rocketbuilder

Hello from Chincoteague Va

Hello everyone. Grew up in an RVing family. No RV of our own yet. New truck on order. Looking at 5th wheels (lots of them!) and thought this forum would be the best place to go for real world experience and information.
Rocketbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:30 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!! Lots of good people and loads of great information here. Feel free to ask away!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:34 AM   #3
notanlines

Welcome to the forum from the Memphis area. Might we ask what truck you have on order?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:11 AM   #4
NorskeBob

Welcome to the forum from upstate NY. Good place for info and support.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:14 AM   #5
Chris P

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey Happy shopping a lot of good information here

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
Rocketbuilder

notanlines.. 2017 F250 Supercab Shortbox 4x4
Old 11-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #7
Rocketbuilder

notanlines.. Forgot .... 6.7 Diesel powered
Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketbuilder View Post
notanlines.. Forgot .... 6.7 Diesel powered
As others will be along shortly to say, you will be limited on your payload with a F250 diesel, since the diesel weighs more than a gasser. You will definitely need to watch those pin weights when looking at 5ers.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
Rocketbuilder

Gegrad.... I agree with your point. The truck will come with a camper package and the high capacity tow option. Key word being "tow" and 5er's require payload. But this gives me the F350 SRW rear end. Add the proper leaf to the rear spring pack and it's a 1 ton single rear wheel truck. The 10000 GVW becomes 11500 GVW. (not my first ride in the local rodeo)

YES.... to all that are about to point out that it's not a 1 ton according to the sticker on the door post but the yellow sticker and springs are the only differences between a 2017 F250(HD) and a 2017 F350 SRW.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Gegrad.... I agree with your point. The truck will come with a camper package and the high capacity tow option. Key word being "tow" and 5er's require payload. But this gives me the F350 SRW rear end. Add the proper leaf to the rear spring pack and it's a 1 ton single rear wheel truck. The 10000 GVW becomes 11500 GVW. (not my first ride in the local rodeo)

YES.... to all that are about to point out that it's not a 1 ton according to the sticker on the door post but the yellow sticker and springs are the only differences between a 2017 F250(HD) and a 2017 F350 SRW.
Here we go again

Sticker trumps equipment!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Rocketbuilder

chuckster57.... yep they do.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

so what are you going to use as the payload rating?

Old 11-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I'm not going to get into the "sticker" vs add a leafs making a one ton as I've expressed my opinion on that, but, why would you order a brand new F250 spending money on all the towing options then adding springs when you could have just ordered a one ton for the same or less money and had the real deal.....with the "real" sticker and the "real" payload??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
Rocketbuilder

F350 SRW ratings
Old 11-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
Rocketbuilder

Sourdough... fair question. Answer is... that’s what I wanted. No logic just simply what I wanted.
FYI.. I have a 2003 F350 4x4 standard cab 8 ft box diesel.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:48 AM   #16
notanlines

That's what I like; just an honest, straightforward answer. Honestly I only asked just to see what truck versus what RV they might be shopping for. Plus he's a Ford guy. Does my heart good!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:26 AM   #17
Rocketbuilder

notanlines/Gegrad... aka; the guys that seem interested in having a beer and a conversation.

There's no way to know the actual curb weight of the truck as ordered until we take delivery and weigh it. Then we'll be better suited to decide on the appropriate 5er. It's just me the wife and a black lab. We aren't looking for that 40+ footer weighing in at 22k.

Most of what I read on the forums is how people load their rigs right to it's max rating on a regular basis. We probably will too.

This is why IMO the upgrade to the rear is a good idea. Not to mention the new dana M275 rear is a sweet unit. New grind on the gear set with a more efficient mesh.

As for adding a leaf.... again my opinion..... is more reliable than air bags for me.

I live on a small island on the eastern shore of Virginia. Salt air makes things deteriorate. We see it here on a regular basis. Not over night but it does leave you questioning the reliability. When I store the boat for the winter (outside) I pull the wheels off the trailer and keep them in the garage.

To the others that still ask ... why not just buy an F350.
Got one and the trade in for the new F250 is the wife's 2011 F150 which means she gets a say also.

( it's interesting that nobody even asked what we might be looking at and seem more interested in showing their disapproval in how I choose to spend "my" money or if I'll be towing illegally and if it's safety they're worried about...... I work for NASA.... I live and breath safety)

notanlines/Gegrad
If you ever end up on Chincoteague Island look me up I'm the second house on the right about 100ft past the entrance to Tom's Cove Campgrounds.
I'll buy the beer.

yes chuckster57... here we go again.... guilty.... in lieu of the facts.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Upgrading is good. Since you work for NASA and “live and breath” safety, we (I) are just trying to help you extend that to your RVing experience. Really the only thing said was to watch your weights. No one has said “that’s too much trailer” since you haven’t mentioned any particular one yet.
I don’t have any idea how long you have owned/operated an RV, but things have changed dramatically over the years. Gone are the days of pulling that 3 axle rig with a 3/4 ton and not worrying about anything. There are threads here about being weighed, and having your trailer impounded right then and there. If there is an accident, you probably are all to aware of how an investigation can go. In the end it’s your choice, but remember we ALL share the road.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
notanlines/Gegrad... aka; the guys that seem interested in having a beer and a conversation.

There's no way to know the actual curb weight of the truck as ordered until we take delivery and weigh it. Then we'll be better suited to decide on the appropriate 5er. It's just me the wife and a black lab. We aren't looking for that 40+ footer weighing in at 22k.

Most of what I read on the forums is how people load their rigs right to it's max rating on a regular basis. We probably will too.

This is why IMO the upgrade to the rear is a good idea. Not to mention the new dana M275 rear is a sweet unit. New grind on the gear set with a more efficient mesh.

As for adding a leaf.... again my opinion..... is more reliable than air bags for me.

I live on a small island on the eastern shore of Virginia. Salt air makes things deteriorate. We see it here on a regular basis. Not over night but it does leave you questioning the reliability. When I store the boat for the winter (outside) I pull the wheels off the trailer and keep them in the garage.

To the others that still ask ... why not just buy an F350.
Got one and the trade in for the new F250 is the wife's 2011 F150 which means she gets a say also.

( it's interesting that nobody even asked what we might be looking at and seem more interested in showing their disapproval in how I choose to spend "my" money or if I'll be towing illegally and if it's safety they're worried about...... I work for NASA.... I live and breath safety)

notanlines/Gegrad
If you ever end up on Chincoteague Island look me up I'm the second house on the right about 100ft past the entrance to Tom's Cove Campgrounds.
I'll buy the beer.

I agree with notanlines; your answer "because you wanted to" is straight forward and your business. It is unfortunate that you somehow get the idea that I was disapproving of your choice or thought you unsafe. I have no idea what you are looking at or proposing to do. I simply was trying to determine the rationale for buying and modifying a new 3/4 ton vs buying a one ton up front that would have probably been cheaper. I wouldn't make the decision you are so wondered what I was missing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #20
Gegrad

Quote:

notanlines/Gegrad
I'll buy the beer.

Thanks Rocket, my original post was just to mention that a 250 with a diesel will have a lower carrying capacity than a 250 gasser with the big V8, that's all! I am sure you will be fine, given more details of what you are looking for.

And ditto, if you ever end up south of Raleigh down here in Willow Spring, let me know- I'll take you to this local brewing company 10 minutes from my house that has obscenely good brews.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote