Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
stangtime

Carbon camera prewire

I was curious if anyone knows where the power line comes from for observation camera? I search other threads but could not seem to find anything. My camera powers on and stays on, but I would like to add a switch to turn it off when not transporting my Carbon 357.
stangtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:13 AM   #2
MarcS

Usually the observation cameras are wired up to the clearance lights. That way when your lights are on, the camera is on.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #3
stangtime

Unfortunately that is not how the factory wired it. Mine has constant power so I need to track down where they wired it to so that I can add a switch. I am afraid the camera will fail if powered in 24/7...
Old 10-23-2017, 05:14 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds like you have a Furrion camera. If so then I’ve seen a few reports that powering it from a clearance light doesn’t provide “full” power and has caused some reception issues.

Look in the junction box where the umbilical cord attaches. Probably going to be hooked to a black (+) wire.

I haven’t seen any “official” documentation so I may be wrong. Grand design went to direct battery hook up 2 years ago, haven’t seen a Furrion camera fail from being on yet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #5
Racebug

Mine was hooked to the "reverse" wire on the pig tail. I just moved it to the clearance light post in the wiring box near the hitch.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 AM   #6
stangtime

Hi Chuckster57. You are correct, it is a Furriin camera. Are you talking about the area by the battery or the fuse panel inside the fifth wheel? Unlike my previous camper I don’t see a junction box, just a boatload of wires and butt caps. I will take another look when I get home to see if I can locate the box or black + wire.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
K_N_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
Mine was hooked to the "reverse" wire on the pig tail. I just moved it to the clearance light post in the wiring box near the hitch.
Same here -- heres an 'After" picture inside the trailer wiring box. Yellow moved to green to provide power when truck lights are on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 008.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	14408  

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangtime View Post
Hi Chuckster57. You are correct, it is a Furriin camera. Are you talking about the area by the battery or the fuse panel inside the fifth wheel? Unlike my previous camper I don’t see a junction box, just a boatload of wires and butt caps. I will take another look when I get home to see if I can locate the box or black + wire.

Just follow the 7 way plug to the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
stangtime

Well, I found and checked the box and do not see I wire from the camera. I ran a couple tests and the camera stays on when it is on shore power or battery power. I assume that means that they tied into a light someone for the power. That would explain why it stays powered on unless I disconnect the battery AND unplug shore power. Please let me know if I might be missing something.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

It won’t be marked. Did you take any wires off and check the camera?

A light would have to be on if it was wired to a light. Lights get power from the TV. Go back to the black bundle in the junction box.

There will be a black wire from the bundle coming from the truck, another small gauge going to the break away switch.
Another one going to the trailer battery, and if there is another one, take it off (DO NOT TOUCH IT TO GROUND) and see if the camera goes off.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
MattHelm21

I have a project for my camera as I want it to operate when the clearance lights are on. My trailer came with dedicated power to the cameras and I do have a switch to power them off. It’s easy for me to remember to turn them on but I always forget to turn them off. What I saw another poster do and I think you may probably be able to do is to wire in a relay between the camera power lead, camera, and a splice to a clearance light. The relay I found is a 12 Volt DC auto releay that supports 30/40 amps. The part number is RLS-125. This way the camera still gets its power from the dedicated source but switches with the clearance lights.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
stangtime

Chuckster57. I will take another look tomorrow in the light at that connection. Would that still get power with the battery cutoff in the off position and no tow vehicle hooked up? Just the shore power hooked?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
stangtime

I was going to add a switch inline, but still haven’t located the wire...
Old 10-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

If your camera is on all the time, it has to get it’s 12VDC directly from the battery.

If there is a light that works all the time- battery cut off turned off, not plugged into shore power, then it’s possible the camera gets power there, because the power is directly from the battery to the light.

Only other place I would think that has “constant” power is the front jack/landing gear.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:54 AM   #15
stangtime

The camera gets power only if the battery is connected OR shore power. If both are disconnected the camera does not get power. So that is why I am thinking they tapped into a light (probably spot light on back of camper). I will have to remove those lights to see if there is a connection back there, but it will be hard to check since it is on a steel square bar.

If it was connected up by the junction box, it would not get power when the battery is disconnected...right? Just trying to narrow down what areas I should really be looking in.

Thanks for all the info so far!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #16
stangtime

Well just in case anyone else is having trouble, I now have it narrowed down to interior zone 6 coming from the inverter. Now I am guessing it’s rapped into 1 of the cargo area outlets, but which one? Guess I will be checking 1 at a time during our camping this week. I plan to start with the ones closest to the camera and work my way forward unless someone has a better idea...
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #17
stangtime

I retract the statement about the outlet, that would be 120v, right. The only other place I can think of are 2 of the lights that have the built in switch. I can’t think of anything else back there that would have constant 12v.