Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
patraveler

Good 5th wheel cover

Hi all

Does anyone have any opinions on a solid 5th wheel toyhauler cover. Many out there with claims to fame. I live in northeast where it get snowy and cold.

Thanks

Patraveler
patraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

RV covers is a subject that brings a broad range of answers and recommendations. After paying $800.00 years ago for a cover for my old 36' fiver just to,watch it turn to dust in 4 years, I won't use a cover. Good coat of wax does wonders.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
patraveler

chuckster57

I been told that as well. I lived in Pennsylvania so the snow and elements could be an issue
Old 09-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by patraveler View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on a solid 5th wheel toyhauler cover. Many out there with claims to fame. I live in northeast where it get snowy and cold.
Several issues with covers:

First, they trap moisture. That's a bad thing. No further discussion on that needed.

Second, any wind, and they flap around, no matter how well you think you've tied them down. That flapping against the roof and walls will damage those surfaces.

Third, as Chuckster57 mentioned, they disintegrate due to UV damage and wind.

I live in the southern Adirondacks. I've never covered a trailer, and likely will not in the future. I have MaxAir vents so I leave the trailer roof vents open. Nothing gets in, but the trailer stays nice and dry. Mr Cougar has the walk-on roof so I don't worry about snow load too much. If I think it's getting to be too much, I have a SnoRake on a long pole and can pull most of the snow off with even climbing a ladder. The rubber roof handles the snow and rain very well. I do the usual maintenance on it. The worst is the vent caps for the holding tanks which tend to suffer from the UV. But they are cheap and easily replaced. So far, the filon sides have stood up nicely, too.

Indoor storage is always preferable, but own or rent, it's pricey. I would love to have a large carport for the trailer, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
spicercars

I will never use a cover on an rv.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
patraveler

Okay thanks for the input. I need to get an assessment from others that either experience using one or no the pitfalls of investing in one.

My experience is limited and as I stated before. I needed advice and I appreciate you all being honest in giving to me. I take your comments seriously
Old 09-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
gearhead

I have one out in my shed. Has a big rip in it. Been in the shed at least 3 years. Doesn't even fit our current 5th.
Just keep up with waxing and watch for oxidation on the sunny side. Get after those black streaks quick.
However, I do keep my cab over under a cover. It's gel coat real fiberglass with no structural wood, so no delamination issues. Cover is less than $200 so no big deal every 1-2 years.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
MattHelm21

Here in New Jersey, I bought what at the time was one of the most expensive covers on the market. I think the material was called Sunbrella and it was breathable. It shed water from the top but was breathable from underneath(don't ask me how). While the material was very light, the amount of it to cover a 36 foot fifth wheel made it very heavy. It came with a giant duffel bag and I could barely lift it.

I used it in several different locations for 4 winters. Two of the locations were subject to high winds. The reason I stopped using it and any cover going forward is that even with the lightest material, I started to notice stress cracks in the gel coat on the fiberglass caps front and back. I decided then, I was better off going the "coat of wax" route previously mentioned. If wind is a concern, I would recommend against anything which will touch the trailer.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Steve079

Quote:
I won't use a cover. Good coat of wax does wonders.
Which wax to do use?
Steve079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
tinman50

i found a cabelas atv spare tire cover a year ago in the bargain section of my local store covers the hitch plate perfectly and keeps it dry and clean all year round. the best part it cost me 4.95
tinman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
CaptnJohn

A cover has been reported as the cause of delamination on several campers. Sun causes condensation ~ steam separates the fiberglass from the luan backing. NEARLY all are on the rear wall as it is made differently than the side walls.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
Campinfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
A cover has been reported as the cause of delamination on several campers. Sun causes condensation ~ steam separates the fiberglass from the luan backing. NEARLY all are on the rear wall as it is made differently than the side walls.
Thank you CaptnJohn! That makes a ton of sense and along with the wind concerns brought up by others I am going to find another place to spend the $300 that I was going to spend on the cover. That won't be too difficult
Campinfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cover